Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Herb Brooks R.I.P.

Herb Brooks, from Minnesota, the coach of the US Olympic hockey squad in 1980 (Miracle on ice) was killed yesterday in a car accident while returning home from a charity golf event. He will be portrayed in an upcoming movie by Kurt Russel, that documents the historic Gold medal at Lake Placid.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I was watching TSN yesterday when they cut away from the program and announced his death. I was literally speechless. The world has lost a great hockey icon. Roger Neilson then Herb Brooks...what a shame!

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Amen MHB. I was not into hockey at the time but I happened to watch all the games during the 1980 Olympics. That was the bees knees. God bless him and his family.

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    What a loss it was. I love hockey more than anything and he was a legend for US hockey. I wish I could have been alive and old enough to have watched and appreciated that game versus the Soviets. Last summer I took a trip up to Lake Placid and got to play in the arena and what a friggin' trip that was to have played in such a historical place. I'm not sure if anyone watched the HBO Miracle on Ice documentary but after watching it you have to appreciate what Herb Brooks did to unite such young players. RIP.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    He convinced a bunch of underdogs that they could win. I respect a coach who wins like that more than I do a coach who wins with elite players. He even turned down the Rangers coaching job last year because he didn't want to be away from his family. Giant loss for hockey.

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    I live in the area and that is all that is on the news for the last couple days..I heard last night that he didnt have his seat belt on, and rolled his minivan a couple of times and was ejected from the car. dead on the scene.

zzo18 is offline Associate Member
    Like you bros said...it was a very sad day for the hockey world.

Thread Information