View Poll Results: Who do you think the Best Boxer of all time is?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rocky Marciano

10 12.20%
  • Mike Tyson

17 20.73%
  • Roy Jones Jr

16 19.51%
  • Muhamid Ali

30 36.59%
  • Lennox Lewis

2 2.44%
  • Other--Name in post

7 8.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BullDogg20 is offline Member

Poll; All time Best Boxer

WHo do you think the all time best Boxer is.

I Know its Roy Jones Jr.

Not one boxer has ever came close to beating this guy. he is truly Incredible
    Last edited by BullDogg20; 09-19-2003 at 11:31 AM.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Rocky I, II, III, IV, and V

Chavez was great in his time.

ross3814 is offline Member
    c'mon ali in his prime! he was the best boxer ever. i am glad for espn classic because it allowed me to see not only the best prize fighter of all time, but one of the best athletes of all time. jones jr. is an incredible boxer, but i think a lot of the people who voted for him have never seen any of the old ali fights.

My opinion of Ali is, yes he was good, but i think he was way over rated.

British Bulldog is offline Junior Member
    I agree that Ali was overrated. He had very good speed of hand and foot but he couldn't fight on the inside and was wide open to the left hook. Sonny Banks, Henry Cooper and Joe Frazier all floored him with left hooks, Frazier and Ken Norton both broke his jaw with left hooks.
    Roy Jones is certainly one of the modern greats but I disagree that he is the best of all time. It's true to say that nobody has come close to beating him yet, but he is figting in an era where opponents are of a relatively poor standard. I'll give him credit for moving up to heavyweight and comprehensively beating John Ruiz but to call him a heavyweight champion is ludicrous.

I think the title of the all-time greatest still belongs to Sugar Ray Robinson.

Hey its to be seen if he will be a real heavy weight champion, if he fights and beats either lewis, tyson or evander.

sublang is offline Junior Member
    Rocky Marciano. The only Heavyweight champion to retire undefeated. The guy was a brut and had one hell of a chin.

Ali was also a great fighter. His strategy was incredible. He made mobile fighting mainstream. Before that, guys just stood toe to toe and slugged domes.

mass junkie is offline banned
    tyson- before all of his mental problems

Straight Diesel is offline New Member
    FELIX TRINIDAD...I love him and his case could be argued...I think Tyson in his prime would have killed anyone...

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I used to think that ali was overrated, but watching him beat george foreman (who was in his prime) while spending the entire match on the ropes made me think otherwise.

animal333 is offline New Member
    You could have put Tyson (in his prime) and Ali (in his prime and Tyson would have killed him. If Ali would have done the rope a dope with Tyson he would have been speaking then as he does now. By the way how in the hell did a draft dodger like Ali get to carry the Olympic Torch. Just go ahead and let Osma carry it next time. Sorry if I have offended anyone, but that is my opinion.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    You guys have named some great fighters, but I think British Bulldog was the only person I agree with.

Sugar Ray Robinson – Best of all time. I don’t even have to think twice about this.

Muhammad Ali – Tied for second place with Joe Louis. Robinson, Ali and Louis are the elite three fighters in my opinion. After them there are great fighters but on a less legendary scale.

Roy Jones Jr. – A modern favorite but I can name 20 or 30 other guys better than him. Saying he’s the best ever is like saying Eminem is the best artist of all time…he’s just the most publicized person of the moment in a group made up mainly of underachievers. He may never get to prove that he deserves to be considered the greatest of all time because the current light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions are thin on talent. I’d love to see him hold a glove behind his back while fighting Lennox Lewis and better yet I’d love for that punch to knock out Lewis.

Julio Cesar Chavez – Top 15. Awesome fighter!

Rocky Marciano – Great fighter, no doubt, but his undefeated record doesn’t give him the crown. I’d say he deserves to be placed in the top 10 for sure and that’s not a bad thing at all.

Mike Tyson – This is the “Best All Time Boxer” category, am I correct? Too bad Iron Mike didn’t give himself a chance at a full career. He possibly deserves to win a “Best Knockout Punch” category and was the most dominating fighter during his early days, but I wouldn’t rate his “All Time” career higher than 40 in this category.

Felix Trinidad – we’re talking about decades of great fighters here, so Felix doesn’t rank high against the elite fighters of the past. I’ve always loved watching his fights though. I consider him one of the ten best boxers of the last decade.

Lennox Lewis - Please! Give his management the award for best fight selection. Lennox lives by the dollar.

Just a few famous names (in no particular order) who deserve honorable mention: Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler, Jack Dempsey, Sugar Ray Leonard, Willie Pepp, Pernell Whitaker, Archie Moore….I like these boxing threads. Keep em coming!

My all-time top ten:-
    1. Sugar Ray Robinson
    2. Willie Pep
    3. Roberto Duran
    4. Benny Leonard
    5. Henry Armstrong
    6. Harry Greb
    7. Archie Moore
    8. Joe Louis
    9. Muhammad Ali
    10. Jack Johnson

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    Roy Jones is the best. Ali is second. Jones is the first guy to go from middleweight to heavyweight and win. Some people will try to make you believe that he hasn’t fought anyone. Hell not only did he beat everyone they put in front of him he made them look silly.

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    Best all around fighter and total package has to be Muhamid Ali. Speed, style, and power. He knew how to out fox and out smart the bigger, harder hitting fighters. All that and the man was truly entertaining to watch.

1.) Ali
    2.) Sugar Ray Robinson
    3.) Rocky Marciano
    4.) Roy Jones Jr
    5.) Mike Tyson

yayo is offline New Member
    fictional - Ivan Drago

non-fictional - Mr. Clay.

Kdog@usi is offline Associate Member

Wink

hard to say who is/was the best. everyone can make a point for their guy. it seems to be more like favorite. I can't make up my mind. ali was probably the fastest heavyweight ever, but he was beaten by too many guys, plus he was a very dirty fighter. tyson "was" devastating, but fell apart and never fought anybody great. and lets not forget that Buster douglas soundly whipped Tyson in Japan. Roy is probably the best fighter of his day, but of all time? Larry holmes was no punk in his prime either (great jab, great boxer).
    I think to be the best all time, a fighter would have to be in excellent shape for every fight both mentally and physically. beat everyone who was put in front of them and have a long career full of big time opponants.
    top few for me:
    marciano, chaves, robinson

oh yea tyson would have killed ali

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    He's from Kentucky, so you know it's Ali.

Swellin Guest
    Wow! Excess, that was one hell of a post! I really enjoyed reading it, and I agree with a great deal of it. However, I believe Ali to be the best.

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    how come no one said joe lewis?

Remember that old a$$ game for sega? Greatest Heavyweights...That was one of the funniest **** games ive ever seen..The taunts on there were hilaroius...You could hear ali say "ew im so pretty" or hear joe louis say " you cant hurt me" That game was a riot..All time best boxer id have to say impossible to say..Everyone fought at different times,different weight classes. Just like most younger guys will say jones or prime tyson era...Older guys will say ali or whomever..Face it we'll never know....

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Its Jersey Joe Walcott and I'll tell ya why.

Jersey Joe was brought into the Joe Louis camp as a sparring partner and quickly knocked Louis out! The handlers of Joe Louis quickly bought up JERSEY JOES CONTRACT SO HE COULDN'T FIGHT FOR ANYBODAY ELSE! THEY PAID HIM WELL, BUT JERSAY JOE WAS HELD DOWN AND DIDN'T GET A CHANCE AT THE TITLE UNTIL HE WAS WELL INTO HIS THIRTIES! HE HELD THE TITLE BUT NOT FOR LONG BECUASE HERE COMES MARCIANO.

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    Tyson in his prime was the best pound for pound fighter.

ItalianMuscle27 is offline Senior Member
    Tyson would have been if he would have stayed away from don king. Other than that you have to give it to the Italiano!

X..

Sir Foxx is offline New Member
    It's a tie between Roy Jones Jr. and Marvelous Marvin Hagler(who was so ripped off in the fight with Sugar Ray Leonard)

To see those two go at it in their primes would have been the best boxing match ever.

Philliagorillia is offline Associate Member
    Im suprised nobody mentioned Lenny Mclean although he wasnt a professional boxer, dunno if anyone on here has heard of him even.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I can't believe you mentioned Lennox Lewis in that poll.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    1000000% agree bro!!

shootdeep is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    i agree, for lewis' size, he has to be the biggest pussy in the ring. he is a waste of oxygen...i hate that loser....HE SUCKS!!!!!!

i think larry holmes has to be up there. that guy fought 'em all and even with his record he never got any respect. tyson was over-rated, the guys he fought had given up before they got into the ring...except douglas and holyfield. tyson was in his prime and was destroyed by douglas. marciano's fights were bought and he was a cheater as well. i would say ali

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    In his prime...Tyson was the best. He was an animal. He out classed the entire boxing world with his raw aggression.

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    i think tyson would have knocked ali out cold. yeah foreman was in his prime. but mike was a phenom...

Slick Arrado is offline Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BullDogg20
    WHo do you think the all time best Boxer is.

I Know its Roy Jones Jr.

Not one boxer has ever came close to beating this guy. he is truly Incredible
    Ray Robinson was pound-for-pound the greatest. Roy comes in scond.

decadbal is offline Banned
    everyone always says in their prime, so in the peak of everyones career in mind, tyson would have beat all of em down, and the old boxers are like the old football players, not that great compared to todays standerds, tyson would easily shut alis mouth, b b b b b b b bu bu bu bu buttt but(my impression of ali now...LOL) tyson is the best ever, and those who disagree, must have never watched him fight.

Swellin Guest
    I love to watch him...even now. But Tyson has never been a "boxer," he has never had the talent to box his way out of a wet paper sack. On the points of aggression, punching power, & brawling...he is in the top of the class...but his techinacal skills as a boxer are virtually non-existant. Don't misunderstand...I love the idiot! He has just never been a boxer.
    Ali or Foreman in their prime against Tyson in his would have been an all time great fight. Unless Iron Mike gets lucky...I give both fights to the other guys.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Diesel
    FELIX TRINIDAD...I love him and his case could be argued...I think Tyson in his prime would have killed anyone...

Hopkins whopped his ass!

Spoon

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    Rocky Marciano is with out a doupt the best, you tell me one other boxer who went undiffeted

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    oh he is nt the best but i like him alot and that is vargas, he is a crazy mexican, i would be afraid to fight him and i am atleast twice his size

Bcrown1 is offline Associate Member
    Ali, hands down.

tuna is offline Junior Member
    Mann roy jones jnr the best of all time??

Hes a talented guy but come on

Ali over rated..WHAT. Yes he got his jaw broke twice....CAME BACK...went to jail...CAME BACK...lost his title....CAME BACK....Ali was a great all rounder and true champion in an era of champions....He isnt or wasnt overated he is,was GREAT...

But not the best of all time.

Iron mike has never had any boxing skill? WHAT?

What made mike awsome was his abillity to hit in 5 punch combos without being hit.

he made fighters throw a punch dodged it landed a combo side step or turn.... wait dodge A combo counter with a combo...steam forward while punching side step while punching.

When mike won his first title he was a great boxer with a truly unique and new style of BOXING. And knock you to kingdom come power to say he was just a powerful brawel is way off

So who was the best of all time marciano, good strong fighter best record undefeated is undefeated.

But he wasnt the best ever. There was a black fella years ago cant think of his name right now the establishment of the time wouldnt allow him to fight white fighters.
    They were to strong for him..Till public demand made the match and he won....I hate it when I cant remember...Anyway there has been hundreds of great fighters and champions over the years trying to crown one the best ever is a silly injustice to the sport. Especially when the only suggestions are for fighters of the last 30 years.

The best ever dont exist your only on top for a short while, every fighter can be beat. Thats why its such an hounor to breifly fight your way to the top.

If anyone knows The black fellas name post...Im sure he worked on the railways and married a white woman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information