EastCoaster is offline Banned

Hot Tubs... Stay Away!!!

Stay away from the community hot tubs at the local gym. Several STD's can be easily spread in hot tubs and even steam rooms. Being that they are hot and moist, they are breeding conditions for such bacteria and diseases.

Just a little tip of advice.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I like to pee in the hot tub at the rec center.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Chlorine kills almost all of that stuff. Thats why your eyes burn in public pools and spas. The chlorine content is off the charts for that main reason.

ttuPrincess Guest
    i dont think thats true.. but I could be wrong.. std traveling through steam??? sounds a bit odd to me.. I think that temp would be way to much for that stuff to live and reproduce

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Hot tubs yes, steam rooms no. I stay away from any public pools and even showers, those are breeding grounds for dieases and bacteria.

First off, Chlorine does not kill an STD like herpies, which is most often spread through hot tubs. I've worked at several gyms and the Chlorine is not as strong as you my think, you have to be certified to handle chlorine, and most gyms dont have somebody thats certified, so they will have sombody come in about once a week to check it. STDS can travel in steam rooms, if you have herpies and you're sitting on the bench sweating for 15 minutes and when you get up I go sit in your puddle.. guess what.... I just got your herpies.

ttuPrincess Guest
    not underestimating your knowledge.. but can I see where you got this from please

Thank You
    princess

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    EC I think you are slightly wrong, I understand if you have weak or no chlorine there are some bacterial infections that can happen. I am not aware of the ability for STDs of any kind that can live in steam, even AIDS or HIV do not remain able to live in the open air for very long.

I stay away from public hot tubs and use my own, when I go on trips and rent a house with friends I will take my own test strips and chemicals to make sure things are being killed.

Doc M...Any comments on how long these things can live outside the body....I think this whole STD hotub thing was on the MTV show where they investigate rumors and say whether they are true or not. This one was not true. Please post some medical info if you have it. Thanks.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Here is a link with confilicting answers but a good read, very informative:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=29521

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Thats just plain nasty!!!!

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    nooooooooooo i love the hot tub and steam room :-(

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster
    First off, Chlorine does not kill an STD like herpies, which is most often spread through hot tubs. I've worked at several gyms and the Chlorine is not as strong as you my think, you have to be certified to handle chlorine, and most gyms dont have somebody thats certified, so they will have sombody come in about once a week to check it. STDS can travel in steam rooms, if you have herpies and you're sitting on the bench sweating for 15 minutes and when you get up I go sit in your puddle.. guess what.... I just got your herpies.

If you are gonna make threads: Try to get your information correct before you state the info to be accurate instead of just going off of your own assumptions. Here is a quote from the article above

Herpes is spread by direct skin to skin contact, and not by any other
    method as is sometimes believed.

Chlorine is bleach. Bleach kills ALMOST every type of bacteria. HIV does NOT survive in bleach.

The steam room: DO NOT sit down NAKED on the bench or any bench. Why the hell would you sit in the steam room naked after some other guy sat down there naked??

Sorry. Had to. Forgot this one.

Quote:
    "Sexual intercourse and oral sex are the only ways genital herpes is
    transmitted; it is *not* transmitted by sitting on contaminated toilet
    seats, by hot tubs or swimming pools, or through other kinds of
    non-intimate contact."

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Ok lets add some humor...I'm sitting in tha hot tub massaging my back...gotta get it loose to lighten the pumps...so in walk's 2 little boys about 10 or 11 yrs old...anyways....they get in and there staring at me like most people do "Freak"...so I started growling and barking at them...first they were a little scared but then i started to laugh so they laughed...the skinny boy looks over at the chubby boy and say's "Let's get out" the chubby boy say's "Why?" Skinny boy say's I have to pee. Chubby boy say's "why I wnet right here when that big guy scared me." So the skinny boy says"Oh" and he starts peeing. Man, I bet they didn't know big guys could move that fast!!! lol

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Lmfao!!!

Superhuman is offline Banned
    be careful guys, having sex with a corpse can give you herpes too...

(i hope yall know i'm just fukin around)

Superhuman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    Ok lets add some humor...I'm sitting in tha hot tub massaging my back...gotta get it loose to lighten the pumps...so in walk's 2 little boys about 10 or 11 yrs old...anyways....they get in and there staring at me like most people do "Freak"...so I started growling and barking at them...first they were a little scared but then i started to laugh so they laughed...the skinny boy looks over at the chubby boy and say's "Let's get out" the chubby boy say's "Why?" Skinny boy say's I have to pee. Chubby boy say's "why I wnet right here when that big guy scared me." So the skinny boy says"Oh" and he starts peeing. Man, I bet they didn't know big guys could move that fast!!! lol
    HAHAHA that's the funniest thing I've heard all week

FinaZurp is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69

Yes, pure Bleach will neturalize most anything. I was not talking about HIV but to answer your question, HIV blood is almost neturalized when it comes in contact with oxygen, but not always. Its my understanding that it can remain active for almost 15 minutes.

If you dont choose to believe me thats fine. Herpies can spread from Hot Tubs.

In the article above it clearly states that boiling water would destroy the virus but the boiling point would be 212 degrees
    fahrenheit, much more than any person could endure.
    Last edited by EastCoaster; 06-05-2004 at 12:37 AM.

medic23 is offline Associate Member
    If anything this is a great excuse to give to your girl on why she itches down there.

Quote Originally Posted by medic23
    If anything this is a great excuse to give to your girl on why she itches down there.

lol... Why does your girl itch down there bro?

lol... Why does your girl itch down there bro?

LMAO.. Good question....

I actually do avoid the hot tub at the gym. Im not into any of that fungis crap that can get on my skin. Not so much the herpes stuff.

The hot tub I guess

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Myth... The genital herpes virus is a fragile virus that dries out when it is exposed to air. Although the warm, moist air is a great place to harbor bacteria, STD's is not one of them..There have been no proven cases of genital herpes transmission or any other STD from a toilet seat, hot tub, trying on bathing suits, etc..For the virus to be transferred, there must be direct skin to skin contact..As far as other STD's, they must be transmitted via sexual contact, either oral, anal, or vaginal..

Sorry East..But it's nice to see you error on the side of caution..

Doc M

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Yeah that is def wrong. These virii are not super virii that can withstand any environment. They will die especially in a hot tub. The better question is will hot tubs cause hemodilation due to the heat? Hopefully someone with a medical background can help me out on this.

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    The better question is will hot tubs cause hemodilation due to the heat? Hopefully someone with a medical background can help me out on this.
    Who could that be?

nsa
    hehe... I was thinking of you doc m.

Yes, hemodilation will increase blood flow to muscles, but the effects it will have on muscle size or strength is non-existent or negligible at best..Sitting in a hot tub is not going to produce any better results then skipping the hot tub altogether..There is no effect on muscle repair, protein synthesis, or amino acid buildup that would be beneficial..It does however have therapeutic uses that are certainly good for mind and body..Just make sure the sessions are kept short as they can be harmful if used too long..

Doc M

nsa
    Yeah, i know it helps me with the soreness, and the hot tub we have in my house automatically stops running at 15 minutes of use. You can restart again, but i normally just get out after it stops or even earlier if i start sweating too much. So thats not a problem. Thanks for the info.

I stand corrected, I've been wrong before and I'll probably be wrong again and I dont think I'm about to argue with a Doctor.

Be that as it may, a community hot tub still grosses me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    Myth... The genital herpes virus is a fragile virus that dries out when it is exposed to air. Although the warm, moist air is a great place to harbor bacteria, STD's is not one of them..There have been no proven cases of genital herpes transmission or any other STD from a toilet seat, hot tub, trying on bathing suits, etc..For the virus to be transferred, there must be direct skin to skin contact..As far as other STD's, they must be transmitted via sexual contact, either oral, anal, or vaginal..

Sorry East..But it's nice to see you error on the side of caution..

Doc M

Be that as it may, a community hot tub still grosses me out.
    Totally agree with you there..NASTY!!! Definitely a breeding ground for cooties..Snot, urine, boogies, etc...No thanks!!

Doc M

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~SC~

barbarian is offline Banned
    nasty.....what about hepaticis c a and b?? i heard they live much longer then STDs

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ

If I had learned nothing else from this thread, it would still be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    Totally agree with you there..NASTY!!! Definitely a breeding ground for cooties..Snot, urine, boogies, etc...No thanks!!

Doc M

I like that. A doctor using the term "COOTIES" to get his point across

Yea hepatitis lives several months but the chlorine would definately kill it. I dunno about the sauna and steam room though.

Thread Information