PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member

people who've used nizoral..

I've got a few questions on this stuff.
    how long does this stuff take to work?
    it doesnt regrow hair does it?
    I've read that some of these anti hair loss shampoos will lower your test levels is this one of them? you wouldnt think so b/c its a herbal product.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    is it nizoral or is it the nizoral 2%?

its 2%

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    no its suppose to act more as a dht reducer/blocker

so it will help with my thinning hair then at least? how long before this shiznit takes effect?
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 07-04-2004 at 07:30 PM.

flexin-rph is offline Member
    Nizoral 2% shampoo is to relieve a type of fungus on the scalp, which causes
    flaking (dandruff). It really has no other uses other than a fungicide.

i was reading on here nizoral helps that. is there a difference between the 1% and 2% or what?

anyone?

flexin-rph is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    i was reading on here nizoral helps that. is there a difference between the 1% and 2% or what?
    OTC is 1% & the Rx only is 2%. So the difference is the Rx is twice as
    strong.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Yes the extra percent in the 2% strangely does make it twice as strong!! Nizoral is an atifungal/anti dandruff shampoo but it has been researched and proven to remove a good amount of DHT from the scalp and even been compared in effects to minoxidil if used long enough!! you might think that exagerrated but the instructions are to lather up and leave it there for a few minutes in which it will absorb and clean out DHT externally, so it is effctive.
    However it cant be used as often as you want because many complain that it really dries your hair out if you use it in excess wich is bad. I think it is not extremley effective on its own because you have to attack DHT internally with an oral DHT blocker like finasteride or any other.
    Nizoral has anti-androgen properties but it wont affect your test levels because it is applied externally, it never gets to your bloodstream.

so basically use nizoral if your hair is slightly thinning , but if your hair is serioulsy falling out then consider using an oral, if you dont want to be on propecia right now then there are all natural supplements that are also natural DHT blockers.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Nizoral is shown in small scale studies to increase the diameter of existing hair. The other posters are right about the anti-fungal properties but the hair widening effect is a bonus. It supposedly is about as effective as 2% minoxidil. Also studies have been shown that if you are taking it for thickening your follicles there really is not a difference between 1 and 2 %.

Out of the thee major things shown to stop hairloss and grow hair it is the weakest.

1) Proscar/Propecia - stops or regrows hair in over 80%.
    2) Minoxidil - Widely proven as a growth stimulant, thickens existing hair and lengthens the growth phase.
    3) Nizoral as stated above.

All three in combination have cumulative effects and are the best thing out there at this point in time. Avodart is stronger than proscar/propecia but for most not much more in the way of hair growth results.

thanks alot kaew! thats the answer i was looking for. do you know of any natural supplements that are DHT blockers as well??

sp9

Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    Nizoral is shown in small scale studies to increase the diameter of existing hair. The other posters are right about the anti-fungal properties but the hair widening effect is a bonus. It supposedly is about as effective as 2% minoxidil. Also studies have been shown that if you are taking it for thickening your follicles there really is not a difference between 1 and 2 %.

Out of the thee major things shown to stop hairloss and grow hair it is the weakest.

1) Proscar/Propecia - stops or regrows hair in over 80%.
    2) Minoxidil - Widely proven as a growth stimulant, thickens existing hair and lengthens the growth phase.
    3) Nizoral as stated above.

All three in combination have cumulative effects and are the best thing out there at this point in time. Avodart is stronger than proscar/propecia but for most not much more in the way of hair growth results.
    thanks as well scott. I was thinking of getting some proscar but my doc is being a dick and hasent gotten back to me on my blood tests(some hair loss gene he's looking for i think). I thought I remember hearing that proscar is used to treat your prostate as well. If thats true then my insurance will cover it

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    thanks alot kaew! thats the answer i was looking for. do you know of any natural supplements that are DHT blockers as well??
    These are all great reading:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/resourcelibrary/index.htm

I have fallen for trying things like MSM, I never really cared to try Saw Palmetto since proscar/propecia was so proven and had a very long saftey record.

From one of the links on that page:

"Saw Palmetto (serenoa repens). Serenoa
    repens berries grow naturally, with the extract
    claiming to be an androgen inhibitor of 5aR to
    inhibit DHT production, mainly claimed for use in
    prostate problems. There have not been extensive
    studies performed, but implications in promoting
    hair growth on the scalp have been indicated. Side
    effects noted have been breast growth in men,
    which may indicate that it does not act on DHT
    alone. To be effective, the extract of the berries
    must be taken, not the berries themselves. Another
    active ingredient, pygeurn. africanum compound, is
    added to this extract and is thought to influence
    testosterone metabolism, although it is not clear on
    how at this point. The product comes in capsule
    form (60 capsules for $11.80) with two to four
    capsules as the recommended dose per day in
    divided doses between meals."

Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    Side effects noted have been breast growth in men,
    whoa. I think this is reason enough not to use Saw Palmetto. Its bad enough worrying about tits when you're on a cycle.

sp9
    proscar/propecia raise test as well, and can cause exces to be converted to estrogen and start breast tissue growth. This really only happens in the most sensitive individuals.

When compared to placebo all side effects for 1mg propecia were less than 1% difference.

i actually use saw palmetto with good results, it is known to be a somewhat strong anti androgen and thats why studies come to a conclusion that it may cause brest growth in men, that is actually true for propecia too but for both compounds it is very unlikely because it doesnt cause that much of an increase in estrogen.
    I personally have been experimenting with an all natural saw palmetto in a product called Procerin (www.procerin.com). Its affordable and i'm giving it a 6months test now being in my third month. Procerin doesnt only use saw plammetto but also adds zinc, pumkin seeds, magnezium, ginseng and many other natural things that all aid in hair growth and nutrition too, these subsstances dont interfere with libido or give other side effects of finasteride, in fact procerin has improved my libido and also my strength in training (probably the ginseng). The way the stuff is put together in this thing make it not give the side effects you fear Prairedawg!
    How well does it work? it has been attacked by companies that make finasteride because its an obvious competitior that is all natural and doesnt need the FDA package to go through, and its cheaper than original propecia.
    What about my results? The main difference i notice with procerin from day one is the increased energy and well being, as for hair results my hair has been growing thicker non stop the past months because i am using many things on my hair its crazy i dont even know whats working! The science behind it works, anf they advertized in mens-journal wich is pretty reputable, stay in touch and i'll tell you how the results are looking in another month or two.

Thread Information