joevette is offline Banned

Home waxing Vs. Professional waxing

Last summer I tried one of those home waxing dealies for my chest and stomach. Well, it sucked. It was really hard to get all the wax off, and when I was done I was covered in little red bumps. My whole chest was semi-waxed and red for about 1.5 weeks.

Now, does profesional waxing cause less irratation? I know those home kits have a kind of hair dissolving thing in them and the pros are'nt supposed to have that. Also, I don't care about the pain so that's no prob.

Also, how often do you have to get waxed?

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    use silkepil braun is marketed for women but it works

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    There are a few different types of hair wax products . . . some use wax and some use sugar. I had my eyebrows done once with a wax-based product, and when they ripped the fabric thingy off, it took a layer of skin off along with the hair. Took a few weeks to heal up . . . ugh . . . The deal with that stuff is that you're supposed to use a few pre-application products before you apply the wax. There's a skin-cleaner, then another liquid that's supposed to make the wax stick only to the hair and not the skin. Of course, I didn't learn about this until after my accident . . .

I whipped up a batch of sugar-based hair remover at home (lots of recipes available on the net--Google under "sugaring"), and it worked ok on my arms & chest.

As far as professional waxing goes -- they use the same stuff you get at WalMart, or the same sugar stuff anyone can make at home. The trick is in the application, and hopefully your skin isn't so sensitive that it'll react negatively to the product or process.

The "depilatories" that dissolve hair use the same stuff they put in drain openers. Ya, it'll dissolve hair, but it'll dissolve some skin at the same time. Do it long enough or enough times, and you can permanantly booger up your skin. Not recommended.

As far as frequency goes -- supposedly, every time you yank a hair out of its follicule, you damage the mechanism that grows the hair a bit, and the hair grows out a little thinner each time. Wax enough times, and the hair should stop growing alltogether.
    That's the theory, anyway.

Me, I just use the clippers. Less muss, less fuss. If I'm gonna yank anything, it won't be a clump of hair . . .

-Tock
    Last edited by Tock; 01-31-2005 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMethodX
    use silkepil braun is marketed for women but it works
    Is that a do it yourself kind of wax? Does it have that stuff that dissolves the hair, I think that's what irritates my skin.

maybe ur allergic to the wax or sensitive to it try the lotions with soy in them theyre supposed to make the hair thinnner and less visible in 6 weeks now heres a theory if u use the silkepil or wax ur pulling the hair from the root already making it thinner and u cause micro tears u put the cream on and it works better i think its only a theory

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    There are a few different types of hair wax products . . . some use wax and some use sugar. I had my eyebrows done once with a wax-based product, and when they ripped the fabric thingy off, it took a layer of skin off along with the hair. Took a few weeks to heal up . . . ugh . . . The deal with that stuff is that you're supposed to use a few pre-application products before you apply the wax. There's a skin-cleaner, then another liquid that's supposed to make the wax stick only to the hair and not the skin. Of course, I didn't learn about this until after my accident . . .

I whipped up a batch of sugar-based hair remover at home (lots of recipes available on the net--Google under "sugaring"), and it worked ok on my arms & chest.

As far as professional waxing goes -- they use the same stuff you get at WalMart, or the same sugar stuff anyone can make at home. The trick is in the application, and hopefully your skin isn't so sensitive that it'll react negatively to the product or process.

As far as frequency goes -- supposedly, every time you yank a hair out of its follicule, you damage the mechanism that grows the hair a bit, and the hair grows out a little thinner each time. Wax enough times, and the hair should stop growing alltogether.
    That's the theory, anyway.

Me, I just use the clippers. Less muss, less fuss. If I'm gonna yank anything, it won't be a clump of hair . . .

-Tock
    Good info, thanks bro. I thought the proffesional stuff was different. I've seen where it's like a hard wax and takes a special device to heat it up (like something that costs a couple hundred $$).

That's a good point about the pre-wax skin conditioning, I didn't do any of that and it probably would have helped. I used one of those hair dissolving things before and I think that's why my skin was so irritated.

How's that sugar work? What are the pros/cons of sugar over waxing?

i get spots when i use veet's cold wax i think its the after wax wipes the sting like hell when i use the silkepil i dont no the silk epil is not a cream or nething its a machine wait a sec let me get u the site

supposedly sugaring sticks to the hair not to the skin like waxing does so it hurts less trust me they both hurt the same sugaring is natural made outta lemon honey and smth else thats it so it prob wont irratate ur skin

http://www.braun.com/na/products/bea.../eversoft.html
    and also dunno where that things site is but the emjoi gold is supposed to be good too

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joevette
    Good info, thanks bro. I thought the proffesional stuff was different. I've seen where it's like a hard wax and takes a special device to heat it up (like something that costs a couple hundred $$).
    Not too special . . . it's essentially just a crock pot set to whatever temperture it takes to melt the wax.

Quote Originally Posted by joevette
    How's that sugar work? What are the pros/cons of sugar over waxing?
    I only made one batch of that stuff (it was a big batch, though -- used a 5 pound bag of sugar, had lots left over) and tried it once. It worked ok, didn't tear up any skin.
    As far as the pros/cons of sugaring, all I can tell ya is that it's cheap, you can mix up the stuff at home, and works "ok." Only tried it once, so can't tell ya a whole lot more . . .

-Tock

sugarin and waxing suck u have to heat it and re-heat and re-heat when its cold (the weather) and they make a mess the epilators r easy

moush is offline Senior Member
    hey crystalmethod...how do you like the braun silk-epil?? how many times have you used it? does it really work that good? where do you use it?

moush is offline Senior Member
    bump

clhp20 is offline Member
    The only advantage i can see to professional waxing is you get to have a super gorgeous chick holding your wee wee...

Oh that's my fantasy, my bad...

I would think that the pros do it better, with better chemicals then home users.. I am sure you could get the same results either way.

From what i hear, when you remove hair, you will almost always get a rash...

Shave it..

Thread Information