memyselfi is offline Junior Member

Exclamation YES another proscar/ dutasteride question

hey bros im currently taking propecia now for about 1 year and my question is can u take both proscar and dutasteride at the same time????

I have a test cycle coming up and want to double up with .05 Adovart with my 1,25md Proscar as I still shed bad with the proscar olone, so I only want to use the Dutastreide if for the lenght of the cycle and then drop the Dut again to save coste etc

whats your thoughts on this one fellas.
    Last edited by memyselfi; 03-19-2005 at 07:49 AM.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    No need to do both. One or the other. Doctors do not recommend taking both. With Duta you are reducing dht by 90-94%. Here is the problem when you switch from proscar to avodart/duta you will initiate another shed of hair. When you increase the dht inhibition a jump like that will send sensitive hairs into a new growth phase meaning hairs that were in the middle of the growth cycle will be shocked into another growth cycle which means they will eject the currently growing follicle.

If you make the switch to duta you should see some improvement in your hair after the initial shed. I actually looked worse months 2-3 because of the shed but the hair came back strong months 4-8. Using these drugs for a short term benefit will not work becuase the hair cycle is so long.

Make a decision which one you want to use long term. Start it and stay on it. I have also heard reports of people who have been on duta a long time and switch back to proscar also induce a new shedding cycle.

Going from proscar to avodart/duta is something I personally went through, I would not do it unless its a permanent change.

Well thanks for that imput now Im really wondering what to do I bought enough Dut for about 3 months at only .05 a day ??? and was thinking or running this through the cycle for added benifit , now I should I done more research but I didnt , anyway after looking into the effects of Avodart of people in Hairlosstalk , it scare the **** out of me , premature ageing , wrinkles NOT GOOD news , I did want to continue with avodart , but now not to keen , also reducing DHT 90-925% SOUNDS GOOD BUT is only effective at 2,5mg a day they say also I didnt know this , that makes the cost way to high , for me anyway ,,, well now Im really in a wonder what to do ,, LOL thanks for any advice here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milestone is offline Junior Member
    Not sure I would want to do this , it seems to have plenty of sides , has anyone been on for a few years ???

Hey Has anyone had any sides from dutasteride !!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????? hearsay says not good any one been on for a long time as I want to also use.

sp9
    Been on since Dec 2002 (.5mg) daily. No sides. I think it was released by the FDA a couple of months earlier than that so you won't find too many people on it longer than me.
    Last edited by sp9; 03-21-2005 at 11:04 AM.

sp9
    Also, you do not need 2.5mg a day for hairloss. .5mg a day will work and reduct DHT by 90-92%. Check out this graph, look at .5mg, not .05.

More than one pill a day is a waist to get a couple more % points of dht reduction.

Don't pay attention to too many people on the hair loss boards. There are many people there with hidden agendas, there are billions of $ to be made by selling false products and these people bash real solutions.

For propecia there was less than 1% of people that had side effects if you compare placebo vs the real thing. Avodart is only slightly higher.

anything over 1 pill per day is a waist of $ in my opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YES another proscar/ dutasteride question-duta.gif  
    Last edited by sp9; 03-21-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sp9
    Also, you do not need 2.5mg a day for hairloss. .5mg a day will work and reduct DHT by 90-92%. Check out this graph, look at .5mg, not .05.

More than one pill a day is a waist to get a couple more % points of dht reduction.

Don't pay attention to too many people on the hair loss boards. There are many people there with hidden agendas, there are billions of $ to be made by selling false products and these people bash real solutions.

For propecia there was less than 1% of people that had side effects if you compare placebo vs the real thing. Avodart is only slightly higher.

Hey thanks for that update that makes me feel alot better to take Dut , and yes I dont want to use more than .05 a day myself I think I will just go ahead and use this in future , thanks again for the imput Bro , great !!!!!

Yes thanks for this information it also puts my mind at ease as well I hope nothing serious pops up 10 years down of constant use , I also checked the hair sites and there is some disturbing points on side I must say , but maybe these guys are set up for it as Sp9 says or they are on a much higher dose ??? who knows.

thanks sp9 great imput.

wayman is offline New Member
    I was wondering where you got that graph. My momma always said that the info is only as good as the source. Not saying its false but just wanted to know where it came from.

Also, I hear what you're saying about the 0.5mg per day being enough (trust me I want to believe you) but isn't there a "scalp DHT" level which is not suppressed nearly as much at 0.5mg as it is at 2.5mg?

If you check out this site: http://www.hairsite2.com/library/art...m#doeshairloss

and click on the "Optimal Dosage For Hair Loss" link, it shows the following:

0.5mg Dutasteride inhibits ~ 92% serum DHT and 55% scalp DHT
    2.5mg Dutasteride inhibits ~ 95% serum DHT and 82% scalp DHT

I agree with SP9 that there is a lot of money involved so I take this with a grain of salt, but the graph you show seems to correspond to the "serum DHT" levels indicated here, but the scalp DHT levels are very different at the two dosages.

So here's the money question, how effective did 0.5mg ED of dudast work for you? I know you said you got some good hair at 4-8 months but please elaborate. Are you prone to MPB, any male family members bald?

sp9
    Yes I am prone. I only saw minor improvement over proscar. Slight thickening of existing hairs. I can not tell how much it is helping over proscar when on cycle. It may be keeping me from losing anything where I would thin on proscar while on AS. Can't really tell that. Everyone would be different as far as the magic genetic amount of dht suppression needed to halt further loss.

The graph comes from the drug company studies. (GSK)

I would not take more than .5mg a day. That's what is recommened for enlarged prostate. That's what tested as safe. 2.5 mg is a ton of $ and I have not researched how much avodart puts your liver/kidneys to work but I would get concerned if taking 5 times the normal dose and/or using AS on top of that.

Once a day I use Minoxidil that has Azelaic Acid mixed in. This is supposed to be good to stop dht in the scalp. I think studies are scarce, so it's a crp shoot. https://www.xandrox.com/azelaic.htm

For example 30 pills (.5mg) at Sam's club is about $72. To do 2.5mg you wold be looking at over $350 a month. You could buy indian generics and hope for the best I guess. Not for me though.

Best results came from using:

Minoxidil 5% twice a day
    Avodart .5mg once a day
    Nizoral Shampoo 3-4 times per week

wayman is offline New Member
    Your hair cycle is pretty much what I was going to use. I'm planning on generic Avodart at 0.5mg per day, Minox 15% with Alezaic 5% once a day (from Xandrox) and Nizoral 2% every other day. If that doesn't work then I'm just shaving it off.

Hopefully my cycle of Test E won't hurt me too much. I was going to add Winny into my cycle but after hearing from other people's hair horror stories with Winny, F-THAT.

Thanks for the info, SP9.

Yes I am prone. I only saw minor improvement over proscar. Slight thickening of existing hairs. I can not tell how much it is helping over proscar when on cycle. It may be keeping me from losing anything where I would thin on proscar while on AS. Can't really tell that. Everyone would be different as far as the magic genetic amount of dht suppression needed to halt further loss.

The graph comes from the drug company studies. (GSK)

I would not take more than .5mg a day. That's what is recommened for enlarged prostate. That's what tested as safe. 2.5 mg is a ton of $ and I have not researched how much avodart puts your liver/kidneys to work but I would get concerned if taking 5 times the normal dose and/or using AS on top of that.

Once a day I use Minoxidil that has Azelaic Acid mixed in. This is supposed to be good to stop dht in the scalp. I think studies are scarce, so it's a crp shoot. https://www.xandrox.com/azelaic.htm

For example 30 pills (.5mg) at Sam's club is about $72. To do 2.5mg you wold be looking at over $350 a month. You could buy indian generics and hope for the best I guess. Not for me though.

Best results came from using:

Minoxidil 5% twice a day
    Avodart .5mg once a day
    Nizoral Shampoo 3-4 times per week

randy6969 is offline Member
    I wonder what cycle would give u good results without giving u hair loss problems.... (dht)

well I use .05 Adovart tab per day seems to work fine for me it keeps my hair and easy on pocket , after having no luck with proscar Im very happy camper.

Thread Information