yannick32 is offline Associate Member

Cool Soy: Prevent Prostate Cancer, Male Baldness?

Many people here seem to have problem with hairloss and damn male patern baldness, i for myself am one of them and i would look quit dumb with a shaved head, tried it and once was enought for me, i have search the internet and found this study, the source is legit cause its coming from webmd.

Soy: Prevent Prostate Cancer, Male Baldness?

Block Male Hormone Involved in Prostate Cancer, Male Baldness

By Jeanie Lerche Davis
    WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
    on Tuesday, March 30, 2004

March 30, 2004 -- For a healthy head of hair, real men reach for tofu. A new study shows soy protein may prevent prostate cancer, even male baldness.

A little-known molecule called equol -- not to be confused with the sweetener Equal - is showing promise as a powerful blocker of a potent male hormone involved in prostate cancer, male baldness, even acne, researcher Kenneth D. R. Setchell, PhD, with Children's Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, tells WebMD. His paper appears in the current issue of Biology of Reproduction.

So far, his studies involve only rats. But it looks promising for humans, Setchell says.

Understanding Equol

Soy protein is known to be a rich source of phytoestrogens -- plant-derived compounds that behave like estrogen in the body. Equol is a natural molecule created in the intestine when soy is digested, explains Setchell, who says he discovered the molecule 20 years ago.

Actually, the protective effects occur when two chemicals in soy protein -- genistin and daidzin -- reach the digestive system, Setchell explains. There, they are metabolized to form genistein and daidzein. Daidzein is metabolized once again, to form equol.

When we eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and soy products, we have lots of geneistein, daidzen, and equol all circulating in the bloodstream at very high concentrations, says Setchell. Earlier studies have hinted that mice fed high doses of phytoestrogens have less prostate cell growth.

Equol Handcuffs Powerful Male Hormone

In this recent study, Setchell and his research group looked more closely at the potent male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is known to stimulate prostate cell growth. Prostate growth can lead to enlarged prostate (benign hyperplasia) and prostate cancer.

In a series of experiments, male rats first had their testes removed, so they no longer produced testosterone . Then they got injections of equol, or DHT daily for seven days. When researchers injected DHT into rats, their prostates grew. When they gave equol to rats, nothing happened.

When both DHT and equol were injected, equol prevented DHT from triggering prostate cell growth. "What we believe is, equol seems to 'handcuff' DHT, prevents it from stimulating prostate cell growth," Satchell tells WebMD. That is another good sign equol did not change hormone levels, it only completely blocked the effects of them.

The implications are large: "DHT is an extremely important hormone," he says. DHT is implicated in a number of other areas -- skin problems such as acne, although we have no evidence to support that yet, he says. DHT also causes loss of the hair follicles. If equol can block DHT this has tremendous potential in preventing male pattern hair loss, says Satchell.

There's just one complication. Not everyone produces equol when they eat fruits and vegetables. "Only about 35% of the population is an equol producer," Satchell tells WebMD. "We're not sure why that is. It may relate to other components in your diet. If your intake of complex carbohydrates is high, that increases the fermentation rate in your intestine, which could increase your production of equol."

However, the human body should be able to utilize a synthesized form of equol, he says.

Findings Are Preliminary

Current treatments for prostate cancer involve decreasing or blocking the production of testosterone. Essentially, the result is castration, with fatigue and low libido, says Vin Tangpricha, MD, PhD, an endocrinologist with Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta. He agreed to comment on Setchell's study.

"This study is very preliminary, but if it works in humans, that would be very exciting," he says. "We've always thought soy proteins were estrogen-related. But this explains why soy protects against prostate cancer."

Vasily Assikis, MD, director of prostate cancer research the Winship Cancer Center of Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, is also cautious. "What are effects on prostate cancer? What are the effects in humans?" Also, there have been contradictory findings about phytoestrogens, he says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Lund, T. Biology of Reproduction, March 2004; vol 76: pp 1188-1195. Kenneth D. R. Setchell, PhD,Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio. Vin Tangpricha, MD, PhD, endocrinologist, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta. Vasily Assikis, MD, director, prostate cancer research, Winship Cancer Center of Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta.

This is from the best hairloss website on the net

http://www.stophairlossnow.co.uk/index.htm

GM soybeans stop hair loss

04/05/2005 - New, and unusual, opportunities in biotech foods, as Japanese food scientists claim eating genetically modified soybeans could promote hair growth and prevent hair loss.

A team of Kyoto University researchers used genetic engineering technology to incorporate an antihypertensive substance derived from egg whites into the soybean.

"If we can confirm the safety of the soybean, we may be able to promote hair growth or stop hair loss just by eating them," said Masaaki Yoshikawa, professor of food science and technology at Kyoto University, reports Kyodo News.

The Japanese news service claim the team identified an antihypertensive substance called ovokinin in an amino acid compound found in ovalbumin in egg whites.

In order to enhance ovokinin's antihypertensive property, the team created a substance – novokinin - by modifying some amino acids in ovokinin.

The team fed shaven mice with one-1000th milligram of novokinin per one gramme of their body weight and found that their hair grew back faster.

NOW I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS EXCITING OR NOT BUT I AM GETTING ON A 3 SHAKES A DAY 2 SCOOPS WHEY PROTEIN 1 CUP OF SOY MILK UNSWEETENED AND 2 WHOLE EGGS 1 TABLESPOON OF FLAX OIL.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Didnt know that about equol. Just another reason for me to continue eating soy

But it can probably prevent hair loss also since it lowers both DHT and testosterone . To what degree and how much it would effect muscle gains or if that has any impact on juicers I dont know.

It doesnt have that much impact on testosteron, i have been using soy for over 2 months now and i keep lifting heavier in the gym, my gains are good and i dont take steroids .

But i do have thinning hair.

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    There is no nutrient known to man that will prevent prostate cancer! Medical science simply dosen't know the cause of prostate cancer. Dr. Critz, a renouned expert on prostate cancer at RCOG in Atlanta says; "the only way to prevent prostate cancer is to not get old". Also he claims that statistics show that; if you are 70 y/o you have a 70 % chance of getting PCa and if your are 80 y/o you have an 80 % chance, etc. etc. but many men will die of something else and never know they had PCa.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobligator
    There is no nutrient known to man that will prevent prostate cancer! Medical science simply dosen't know the cause of prostate cancer. Dr. Critz, a renouned expert on prostate cancer at RCOG in Atlanta says; "the only way to prevent prostate cancer is to not get old". Also he claims that statistics show that; if you are 70 y/o you have a 70 % chance of getting PCa and if your are 80 y/o you have an 80 % chance, etc. etc. but many men will die of something else and never know they had PCa.
    You need to get check that is it, yearly test early detection is the best

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick32
    It doesnt have that much impact on testosteron, i have been using soy for over 2 months now and i keep lifting heavier in the gym, my gains are good and i dont take steroids .

But i do have thinning hair.

But Ive read that it does have an effect on test

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    this makes sense to me. During the last bulk I discovered I am allergic to milk/cheese so I started using Soy. When on gear I normally suffer from some prostrate pain but this time I have had none. On reading this it leads me to believe this may be due to my high soy intake.

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    Soy: Prevent Prostate Cancer, Male Baldness?

Block Male Hormone Involved in Prostate Cancer, Male Baldness

In this recent study, Setchell and his research group looked more closely at the potent male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is known to stimulate prostate cell growth. Prostate growth can lead to enlarged prostate (benign hyperplasia) and prostate cancer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read just about every study published in regards to prostate cancer and none of them have ever proven a cause-effect relationship between prostate cancer and testosterone or any other known nutrient or environmental substance. Why did I do all of this research? Because in Jan of 2002 I was diagnosed with prosate cancer so I decided to take a cram course on the subject. "Education is the best medicine" in regards to any cancer.

The falacy in the statement above in italics is like comparing apples with oranges. DHT has been known for a long time to cause male baldness and there is a "theory", (not an absolute fact) that DHT is responsible for BPH or enlarged prostate. This theory was first proposed by Urologists at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Md circa 1988-90 but it has never been proven.
    Another more recent theory is that Estrogen might be responsible but there is nothing concrete, all just theories. In so far as DHT and prostate cancer are concerned, there isn't even a theory for that suggestion. All studies to date have shown there is no relationship between testosterone and or DHT for causing prostate cancer. The last part of that last sentence above is totally false. e.g. Prostate growth can lead to enlarged prostate (benign hyperplasia) and prostate cancer. And BPH does not cause prostate cancer. They are apples and oranges! Baldness yes. But not all baldness, some is simply genetic. When they find the cause of prostate cancer you will see it in all the headlines in every newspaper in the country.
    Read my post of 11-06-2006 08:32 PM Mobligator

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Screening is the only way to make sure cancer gets cought in time, thats all i got to say, my father waited to long and he died 1 year after stage 4 colon cancer was diagnost.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Didnt know that about equol. Just another reason for me to continue eating soy

But it can probably prevent hair loss also since it lowers both DHT and testosterone. To what degree and how much it would effect muscle gains or if that has any impact on juicers I dont know.
    It does reduce testosterone levels and was shown to raise estrogen levels slightly. I'll see if I can find that study on it, and post it up for everyone.

On cycle, it shouldn't have much effect. But during PCT, I avoid soy as if it were the plague.

Thread Information