Thread: Art

gymnutt is offline Associate Member

Art

I've been seeing a chiroprator who specializes in ART; Active Release Technique for 5 weeks. When I went in I had a partial tear of a neck muscle, adhesions in both shoulders, and bulge in c5 to the point were I couldn't lift upper body without extreme pain. I've had chronic shoulder pain for years. After a little over a month I'm back at 80% plus and feel GREAT and I'm growing again. I've seen a lot of docs and chiropractors over the years but never gotten results anywhere close to these. He specializes in shoulder injuries and has done work for a lot of athletes, a few pro. Treatment is non-invasive and involves a hard focused deep pressure over adhesions in muscle and connective tissue while cycling the affected limb through a range of motion. He said a lot of chiropractors and physicians have been learning the methods from Dr. Mike Leahy, I hate to be a whore but the parent website for his practice has some amazing information on injuries and possible treatment modalities www.healthyshoulders.com. I hope this might help some of you. Injuries suck. Getting better rocks!

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    Bump.

Had good results with ART for my shoulders - mainly the left - and they've been good for over a year since then. I have changed a few things about how I lift, but I think the ART can take most of the credit.

Not just for shoulders though, there are also good results on knees and hips, if I remember correctly.

If you're going to see a chiro, just check around and get one who does ART too, that way, most insurance will cover the treatments.

Reprisal 6 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMBros
    Bump.

Had good results with ART for my shoulders - mainly the left - and they've been good for over a year since then. I have changed a few things about how I lift, but I think the ART can take most of the credit.

Not just for shoulders though, there are also good results on knees and hips, if I remember correctly.

If you're going to see a chiro, just check around and get one who does ART too, that way, most insurance will cover the treatments.

have you had continual treatments? maintenance treatments?

I had something like 5-7 treatments and then didn't need to go back.

A lot of stuff will only need one, but I had about 10 yrs of damage that had gone untreated.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    ART is where it's at!!! i am a big supporter!

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Just a follow up on this thread used ART today and Damn!!!

I went for my first visit today.. WOW!! There was a lot of pain in some of the movements but I actually can move my elbow ans shoulder with much less pain.

The pain in my right elbow and shoulder went from a 10 (1-10 scale) to a 3-4 after the treatment. My wrists feel better too. Craziest thing I have every experienced. I did not give much hope in doing it but after one treatment I am sold.. I go back Friday morning again and then he said maybe a few more treatments I should be good as new.

If you have not done ART and you have done everything else.. go spend the $$$

~Old

I forgot to mention that you may have to nut up to deal with the pain.

Some of the shit my guy did just felt WRONG while he was doing it - actually, it felt right, but it hurt, hurt, hurt. One of those "it felt so good when he stopped" kinda things.

I'm a big fan, but I don't think I would ever make it a regularly scheduled sort of thing.

No doubt it did not feel good while he was doing some of them.. A few of the twists he did on my shoulder and wrists I wanted to knock him down but I figured it had to be doing something..

I still feel good and even with full range of motion I have very little pain.. weird... very weird.

~Old

another story of how ART works, thanks for the input Old man

No problem I will update this over my course of treatments.

I did mean to come add that I worked out last night, I worked Shoulders, Bi's and Tri's..

I did 4 sets of 12 reps of Lateral raises with NO Pain at all.. It was funny because I kept smiling after each set because I was so amazed by the difference not screaming in pain.. I then did 4 sets of 12 reps of Arnold presses and I even pushed the weight up about double what I normally have been able to do and still have no pain.

I did reverse close grip bench 4 sets of 8 at 175lbs and nothing, no pain in my elbows or shoulders and then I did 8 sets of 8 tri pressdowns and the last couple I did feel a little in my right elbow but I went up about 40lbs more than normal on this one.

Now all and all it was the best workout I have had in years it seems.. I actually slept all night (I normally wake up in pain and have to move and take Advil). I did wake up this morning with very very sore muscles in my shoulders and some pain in my right elbow.. Before it was a 10 on a scale of 1-10 and this morning even after pushing all that extra it was probably a 4-5 on the pain scale.

I am totally sold on this I don't fully understand it all but I don't care either as long as it works.

I am very glad I tried it.. thanks!!

~Old

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    I'm glad to hear it helped, it's nice to focus on gain rather than pain. I'm really amazed that more professionals don't take the initiative to learn the techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnutt
    I'm glad to hear it helped, it's nice to focus on gain rather than pain. I'm really amazed that more professionals don't take the initiative to learn the techniques.

I agree 100% on this.. I enjoyed lifting again.. I am hurting a little this morning again but it is 15 degrees our and freezing in the house so that does not help . I go for treatment again on Friday.

I asked my doc why more don't learn it and he said that it is due to the number of hours and money... Once people know more about this they will not be able to handle the appointments

Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnutt
    Most Chiros have a waiting list already. Why learn something that will cost extra time and money and just make a longer waiting list?

The only people who I've seen in ART are those who did it because they actually wanted to help people and were always interested in increasing their knowledge.

i am trying to learn it, its just the cost of it, to learn this technique will cost $10.000 for just the tip of the ice berg! way to expensive for a doc just starting out, my office is out of the red and in the black, but as most people i don't have an extra $10,000 laying around and if i did i would re-invest it. you have to figure, normal, MD,DC,DO gets out of school with a deficit of $100,000 plus, it is very hard to shell out any extra money on more education for at least a few years

Thread Information