Giantz11 is offline Respected Member

Shoulder Tendonitis

Went to get some Deep Tissue work done the other day and while I was in there I told the guy my shoulders had really been bothering me. He said that I most likely had tendonitis. He put some pressure on my shoulder (the front, right next to the collar bone) and it hurt real real bad. He said it was either busitis or tendonitis but leaned towards it being tendonitis. Everything has been real painful in the gym when doing Chest, Biceps, or an attempt at shoulders. Is time off the only cure here? A

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    What do you think is the cause of the tendonitis in your shoulders? Do you think you have an overuse injury from strength training? Taking a week off and examining your strength training program design would be my first suggestion.

I really just started to get bad once my lifts were going up. Bench Press is I htink the culprit. Everytime I do it the pain is tremendous. Also sometimes doing Straight Bar bicep curls causes some pain. I've stoped all shoulder work about 2 weeks ago and things have gotten a bit better but they are still bad on chest days. I need aother approach on Chest days, that's what I think the problem is.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    i would stay away from incline press and military press , go lighter on flat,if you need to go heavy, do it on the decline, also, try a closer grip until your shoulder heel,it will use a little more tricep, but will stil hit your chest. i would also work on lateral and front raises as my only shoulder work if any. if it hurts don't do it. time off may help, but it will probably more than a wk and no one wants to take off that much time, so instead, modify your routine, lighten it up, movements that hurt , throw out of your work out and try similar ones that are not as painful. ice your shoulder, best thing you cando, even when it is hurting very little for twenty minutes evey 2 hours, massage therapy will also help,deep tisue or a chiro that use the active release technique aka A.R.T. olympic athletes use this treatment(ben johnson is a big advocate) and if you are familiar with westside barbell and powerlifting, all of those goons use A.R.T. as well and they are the best of the best.

Great call, whenever I do Decline I can go much heavier and not really have any problems. Would doing Bench presses on the Hammer Strength machine be of any benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Great call, whenever I do Decline I can go much heavier and not really have any problems. Would doing Bench presses on the Hammer Strength machine be of any benefit?
    personally , i believe the hammer strength is never any benefit(since it doesn't use as many stabilizer muscles and has very poor muscle recruitment using less motor units as compared tofree weights)BUT since you are injured, it does provide benefit becaus the motion is so controled and the impact is lower than free weights, therefore you are less prone to re-injury or making your injuy worse. myself, i would rathe r free weights, and iwould just do them lighter(but i am a powerlifter) but as for body building, if you aren't looking for strenthg gains, hamer strength for a few wks will be fine, just when you get better, don't use it anymore, IMO

Thanks Doc

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    this has been sugested to me for a similar injury:

stop flat benching for a while. flat benching causes your shoulders to stay in a specific range of motion that may potentiolly be dangerous for them.

try applying heat to your shoulder before you train and apply ice after your are done lifting. ice the injury several times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Thanks Doc
    no problem my man!

Thread Information