Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Accutane info and other ways to stay acne free!

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    the dermatologist didn't have any specifics, and i asked... not very satisfying. i searched when i got home and found this meta-analysis:

Should Isotretinoin Be Stopped Prior to Surgery? : PracticeUpdate

my assessment is there is nothing conclusive about accutane impeding healing. so... i think the dermatologists are just being conservative in the face of anecdotal hearsay. ugh... i really want to get rid of the acne and can't start accutane until february.

RigPig is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What about a more mild anti-biotic type of pill (from the tetracycline family) and Stieva-A Topical cream. Worked wonders for me and way less harsh then accutane (apparently)

right... she did put me on cephalexin (500 mg 2x/day). i'll report on how well it works...

we talked about the topical cream, but it is very difficult for me to apply to my back and she didn't think it would help that much - i passed.

RigPig is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman314
    right... she did put me on cephalexin (500 mg 2x/day). i'll report on how well it works... we talked about the topical cream, but it is very difficult for me to apply to my back and she didn't think it would help that much - i passed.
    Good luck man, hope it works quick for ya..

ChrisG217 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman314 View Post
    thanks for this thread...

i've struggled with really bad back acne since trt and my first cycle. all my sheets are now blood stained and the pain and... unsightliness is a big problem. i tried self medicating with generic accutane obtained overseas (tretizen) at 60 mg/day. after 2.5 months, i saw mild (if any) benefits. so... i bailed and saw a dermatologist yesterday. she will put me on the real stuff after bw. stay tuned as i will report results over the next couple of months. i'm praying to any and all gods that the real stuff works. as some of you know, acne degrades significantly from the aesthetics of a great physique.
    I feel your pain bud. I finished my 2nd round of Accutane for a severe breakout from my first cycle from summer 2013. Started my treatment around November 2013. In addition I have been on TRT since January 2014. So I can tell You what to expect from what's happened to my body. I rarely get a pimple now, only on my chest or traps. I'm pretty sure they can't deny you treatment even if you do admit you used AAS and have severe acne as a result. You have a problem and it's there job to provide a solution. On the plus side though you shouldn't have another cycle induced breakout after your treatment is complete. I can only say that for TRT though, I haven't cycled since so I'm not sure if it would come back bad from another cycle. Jus my .02 cents.

Look up austinites acne treatment protocol for an alternative.

Hope this helps man
    Last edited by ChrisG217; 01-09-2015 at 10:42 AM.

thanks for the inputs. after ~4 weeks on cephalexin, no real progress. my hip replacement is thursday... expect to start accutane ~2/1.

just an update on the saga.

cephalexin is working a bit, but i want to nuke the acne. hip replacement went fine (see post in injuries and recovery), and i have the green light to start accutane. i learned something else at the doc's today - whey can contribute to acne, see my separate thread in this forum.

henryjames is offline New Member
    Great and informative post! BUMP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information