chest6 is offline Banned

pec problems again

Ok, My pec is starting to bother me a lot. I just got back and it was hurting as much as it did 3 weeks ago. It didn't hurt much at all last week, if at all. Now, it hurts like hell again. I dont get it? How much time is this going to take?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    [QUOTE=chest6]Ok, My pec is starting to bother me a lot. I just got back and it was hurting as much as it did 3 weeks ago. It didn't hurt much at all last week, if at all. Now, it hurts like hell again. I dont get it? How much time is this going to take?[/QUOTE could take wks. you have to give it a rest. how many days are you doing chest a week? how many exercises?list them out for me.

chest6 is offline Banned
    [QUOTE=Doc.Sust]
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Ok, My pec is starting to bother me a lot. I just got back and it was hurting as much as it did 3 weeks ago. It didn't hurt much at all last week, if at all. Now, it hurts like hell again. I dont get it? How much time is this going to take?[/QUOTE could take wks. you have to give it a rest. how many days are you doing chest a week? how many exercises?list them out for me.
    I'll copy and paste from my powerlifting forum
    heres what I did when I was healthy..Oh and i do chest once a week

this was last week..when my chest felt a lot better

did bench today..i can now barely feel it in my chest..no longer any real pain
    45x20
    135x10
    225x6
    275x3
    315x5
    335x3
    355x0 (coulda got it if I didnt burn myself out before)
    335x2
    endurance is down strength didnt come down too much...as expected.

incline dumbell
    65x10
    80x10
    90x10
    100x7

I'll copy and paste from my powerlifting forum
    heres what I did when I was healthy..Oh and i do chest once a week

this was last week..when my chest felt a lot better

did bench today..i can now barely feel it in my chest..no longer any real pain
    45x20
    135x10
    225x6
    275x3
    315x5
    335x3
    355x0 (coulda got it if I didnt burn myself out before)
    335x2
    endurance is down strength didnt come down too much...as expected.

incline dumbell
    65x10
    80x10
    90x10
    100x7
    your training heavy and to failure, then you are going into heavy hypertrophy work w the dbelss right after. it is no wonder you hurt. lighten the load up! don't train to failure while hurt. big mistake. use submaximal weights and you can train heavy but not to the point where you may miss a rep. do every set that you know you will get all your reps and not burn out until you heal. accordingto vladimir zartovsky PHD in exercise and strength training/conditioning, training with submaximal weights may be just as beneficial as maxiamal at certain points in a training cycle. now i myself would rather use max effort weights more often then submax, but i never train to failure because of how hard it kicks your Central Nervous systems ass. use the submaximal method until you heal, then you can go back to heavy hypertrophy ifyou wish. the only guarantee i can give is, if you use the sub max method, you will not lose any strength.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Sounds good man..So should I stick with like 245-275 range?

Sounds good man..So should I stick with like 245-275 range?
    sorry to take so long to get back to you. i would say a safe bet would be between 55%-65% of your one rep max. yes btn 245 and 275 would be fine.

actualy maybe less than 275, at least not the first 2-3 wks.

chest6 is offline Banned
    alright sounds good. So my best bet to not lose strength is to train with 245 or so rather than skipping this week at all? I was to make sure I have this right. If there is pain wouldn't this be making it worse causing me to back track even more? Or is this method for when pain subsides and this is just so I dont have a relapse?
    Thanks for the help sorry bout all the questions

alright sounds good. So my best bet to not lose strength is to train with 245 or so rather than skipping this week at all? I was to make sure I have this right. If there is pain wouldn't this be making it worse causing me to back track even more? Or is this method for when pain subsides and this is just so I dont have a relapse?
    Thanks for the help sorry bout all the questions
    no problem, i love questions. when the pain subsides or decreases than the lighter weight method will work. i am not sure how hurt you are so youare going to have to play it by ear on your own. a week or 2 of not doing chest won't break you, you may loose a little bit of strength but you will gain it back and then some when you are healthy and at 100%. it is impossible to heal or make great gains when hurt.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    no problem, i love questions. when the pain subsides or decreases than the lighter weight method will work. i am not sure how hurt you are so youare going to have to play it by ear on your own. a week or 2 of not doing chest won't break you, you may loose a little bit of strength but you will gain it back and then some when you are healthy and at 100%. it is impossible to heal or make great gains when hurt.
    well this helps thanks a lot. I took this week off. I will have a go at it on Wednesday..and see how that goes. I iced once this weekend, ill be honest thats all I got around to doing. I am thinking about doing going with submaximal weight and light dumbells like you said in one of your previous posts. Thanks for the help so far.

well this helps thanks a lot. I took this week off. I will have a go at it on Wednesday..and see how that goes. I iced once this weekend, ill be honest thats all I got around to doing. I am thinking about doing going with submaximal weight and light dumbells like you said in one of your previous posts. Thanks for the help so far.
    glad to help. if you want to discuss more about submaximal training or dynamic/speed work i am here.and KEEP ICING!!! more time a day, it will help you heal sooner, it is to your advantage to ice frequently. try more set with less reps, and less rest btwn sets. this may also be of great benefit. do you know of the westside barbell training/ i am sure you know of it, i have seen you in the powerlifting forum beore.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Thats what i try to do ideally...but i miss a lot of speed work days

speed is key! don't neglect. also, what better time to work on speed then when you are hurt?

chest6 is offline Banned
    speed is key! don't neglect. also, what better time to work on speed then when you are hurt?
    good idea. I did what you said yesterday and its feeling better..I went up to 285 and it was still easy as hell..but I could barellly feel it so thats as high as I went. I was going to stick to 245 but I just inched to 285 and stopped there. Ill be hittin speed Sunday

good idea. I did what you said yesterday and its feeling better..I went up to 285 and it was still easy as hell..but I could barellly feel it so thats as high as I went. I was going to stick to 245 but I just inched to 285 and stopped there. Ill be hittin speed Sunday
    there you go! you wont atrophy, andyou will heal at the same time. watch that 285, how many reps did you do?

chest6 is offline Banned
    there you go! you wont atrophy, andyou will heal at the same time. watch that 285, how many reps did you do?
    only 1..i worked singles that whole day

alright one isn't bad. great work. keep me posted.

chest6 is offline Banned
    well dammit..last night the pain was sort of there..I could still feel it. I went up to 315 for one and I couldnt even get 335 for one I was soo pissed. I have been cutting since last Monday..maybe that is why? Im not sure if I can work my way back up cutting or not.

got to give it a few wks, 315 already is way to soon, 275 should be the highest you should be going for now. stay away from 315 plus!!!

liftergirl is offline Female Member
    your muscles need T-I-M-E to heal! take Dr S's advice...if you push it too fast now, you'll make the overall recovery slower. Plus, if you're in the process of cutting right now....how much are you calorically depleting yourself as far as giving your body energy to be able to heal?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by liftergirl
    your muscles need T-I-M-E to heal! take Dr S's advice...if you push it too fast now, you'll make the overall recovery slower. Plus, if you're in the process of cutting right now....how much are you calorically depleting yourself as far as giving your body energy to be able to heal?
    my diet is in the diet forum...it might be down the list a bit..its titled like normal diet day..not great

the final version is one of the last posts

chest6 is offline Banned
    got to give it a few wks, 315 already is way to soon, 275 should be the highest you should be going for now. stay away from 315 plus!!!
    Thanks sust..i keep jumpin the gun..thats how i reinjured it and probably why it has been annoying me for around 2 months now. I need someone like you to slap me and tell me Im goin about things wrong.

Thanks sust..i keep jumpin the gun..thats how i reinjured it and probably why it has been annoying me for around 2 months now. I need someone like you to slap me and tell me Im goin about things wrong.
    yes you are. relax and heal, keep it light. i know you are familiar with westside training. dodual sped days for chest twice a wk instead of a maxe effort day . use increasing percentages per wk, like 50% 53, 56% 60%, then on wk 5 try a lighter max effot wk work up to about 80%. if you feel NO pain, then the next wk, max efffort up to 85 % and so on. if you feel alot of pain, do not increase, stay at a level where it feels comfortable. this is a great way to do it slowy and gauge your progression.

chest6 is offline Banned
    yes you are. relax and heal, keep it light. i know you are familiar with westside training. dodual sped days for chest twice a wk instead of a maxe effort day . use increasing percentages per wk, like 50% 53, 56% 60%, then on wk 5 try a lighter max effot wk work up to about 80%. if you feel NO pain, then the next wk, max efffort up to 85 % and so on. if you feel alot of pain, do not increase, stay at a level where it feels comfortable. this is a great way to do it slowy and gauge your progression.
    that was very helpful. Tomorrow I will go up to 53% for a speed day for this week. So I should do 5 speed sessions (2 1/2 weeks) and then do my max effort day then?

chest6 is offline Banned
    did real light speed work today with 185. 9 sets of 3. Lower the bar normal speed correct sust? I have always been a little confused..i know push up full force obviously but should the eccentric be normal speed?

oh and i felt it a lil...i just did speed work, bb tricep work, shrugs and left

did real light speed work today with 185. 9 sets of 3. Lower the bar normal speed correct sust? I have always been a little confused..i know push up full force obviously but should the eccentric be normal speed?

oh and i felt it a lil...i just did speed work, bb tricep work, shrugs and left
    normal bar speed for eccentric and concentric!!!

chest6 is offline Banned
    man..I just did light weight last week like it says up there..and I only went to 245 today and it hurt really bad. I think Im going to take 2 full weeks off, and see if that improves.

man..I just did light weight last week like it says up there..and I only went to 245 today and it hurt really bad. I think Im going to take 2 full weeks off, and see if that improves.
    ice that bad boy when done lifting. if it is this bad, you may want to seek someone out that does active release technique and have the muscle manualy striped, it hurts but it may work. try the 2 weeks rest first, if this doesn't do the trick, you may not have that many more options.

chest6 is offline Banned
    whats active release technique?

Thread Information