oldman is offline Anabolic Member

anyone with bad shoulders ever use one of these?

https://www.davedraper.com/top-squat.html

I just ran across this site, never seen this before but it looks like a neat idea. I have a lot of trouble holding on to the bar during squats because of the angle of my arms and it seems to "pin" my shoulders the wrong way. I like doing squats but it hurts my shoulders so much it is hard.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this, used it or maybe has an idea how I can avoid the pain I am getting when doing squats.

thanks

Oldman

Flexor is offline Banned
    Hey

Looks like a pretty good piece of equipment. Like you, I have a bad right shoulder. I broke my right humerus arm wrestling and damaged my right elbow and shoulder at the same time about two years ago. I can't hold the squat bar on my back because my right shoulder feel like it is subluxing (partially dislocating). Also I don't have enough meat on my back yet to cushion a hard iron bar. I've never used any padding though. At the moment I am stuck doing hack squats below parallel, which I am loving. Also I love lunges. I'm getting good results just from them at the moment so I'm not too worried. I can't honestly see how hack squats are any different to back squats. The weight is held in the same position in relation to the back and legs, its just lower down. I feel that with hacks, I can concentrate on my legs rather than try to get my back comfortable.

However, I should probably just try and sort something out to help me do back squats.

I am going to see if my gym will split the cost with me and I will order it and post my results with it.

Oldman

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    I am going to see if my gym will split the cost with me and I will order it and post my results with it.

Oldman
    Sounds like a good idea, let me know how things go.

Cheers

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    It basically looks like it converts an olympic barbell into a safety squat bar.

Not a bad idea, but I think that safety squat bars are a little more stable and don't cost that much more - but I'm not sure.

If you do decide to get it, let us know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by RMBros
    It basically looks like it converts an olympic barbell into a safety squat bar.

Not a bad idea, but I think that safety squat bars are a little more stable and don't cost that much more - but I'm not sure.

If you do decide to get it, let us know how it works out.

I left a note with my gym owner to see if they will split the cost with me and I will post.. Heck even If I have to pay for it I don't mind.. I go to a small gym and have brought it other stuff I use so not a biggie.. if I use it and others can to that is cool with me.

I will post soon.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    THe Dave Draper website is packed with some very good advise and material.

He will even reply to you if you write to him, seems like a great guy and one of the good old pro bodybuilder of the 70.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    sameas a sfety squar bar. check out this site, they sell cheap equipment for comercial and home gyms, i buy most of my equipmnt from them, prices are the best, i recomend this site to everyone who wants to make a home gym for themselves http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    safety bar is $220 and the dave draper piece is about $90. i would go witht he real deal safety bar, just on the fact that it is a solid bar where as thisgadget may be flimsy. hell talk the gym in to buying the safety bar for you instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    sameas a sfety squar bar. check out this site, they sell cheap equipment for comercial and home gyms, i buy most of my equipmnt from them, prices are the best, i recomend this site to everyone who wants to make a home gym for themselves http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/

cool that site has some great stuff.. I just quickly looked but yes it would be better to get the complete bar than the "add-on". thanks!!

Oldman

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    check out the manta ray squat pad

Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    check out the manta ray squat pad

That is interesting but even more is this http://www.adfit.com/stingray/stingside.htm for front-squats.

thanks!!

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    o cool, looks like the same company makes them.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Old man that is awsome , I have the same frigging problem, when I put my hands on the bar I cannot get them more than an inch past either ear, my shoulders just wont let it happen.

Thread Information