Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lindseyls1 is offline Female Member

Tanning salons are bad guys!!

Ive just read a ton of posts about tanning... what are you guys thinking!!!??? Tanning salons are probably the worst thing you can do to your skin!! Use fake tan lotion it does the same thing and you wont look like your 60 when your 30. And for thoes of you with acne problems I sugest getting facials regularly, they get rid of stress and clean out your pores. Plus if you go to a nice place they will reccomend some great products and tell you how to keep your pimples from coming back.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    What are some good tanning lotions that dont make you look "orange"? I just want to avoid looking pale...

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    can tanning salons be any worse than just sitting in the sun?

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    To the Original Poster

are you kidding? I bet you believe the old story of the prom queen that died because she was trying to get a tan and stayed in for like 8 hours or something.

Look tanning beds are WAY BETTER than getting a tan out side in the sun. HUH, the hell you say!! yes that;s right.. okay lets look at this bro..

1. A tanning bed has regulated Time and UV output - the sun does not.
    2. A tanning bed you control the UVA and UVB light - the sun does not.
    3. A tanning bed you go in for 10 minutes and you are done, the sun you could be out there all day and not notice anything until the next day and you are cooked way beyond what any tanning bed does.

Now I personally only tan twice a week and do not use any of those over priced lotions BUT I bet with there was an unbiased study you would find that people that tanned in booths/beds had less skin cancer than those that tanned outside.. why? see #1,2,3 above but even more so when you tan in short bursts it activates the melanin in your skin which is natures way of protecting your skin from harmful UV radiation.

Now if you never tan and use those fake bronzers you are more likely to get skin cancer because your skin has no active melanin in it to protect you.

Do I have science to back me up on all this? Nope, sorry just common sense tells me that controlled light is better then non-controlled.

Oldman

ive often wandered about this
    cheers good info

goose is offline Banned
    How often do you have to use a tanning bed to get a good tan all year round??

goose4..

Quote Originally Posted by goose4
    How often do you have to use a tanning bed to get a good tan all year round??

goose4..

sorry goose who was that toward?

If me, I use maybe 2 times per week and it keeps me lightly tan.. not dark at all but I am very very white person so that is all I need.

Oldman

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes, i agree tanning beds are not the greatest thing for a person, but there are a lot of other things that we could be doing to ourselves that are a lot worse.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    it seems like everything now a days will give me cancer, luekimia, diabetes, ect...so, i guess even if i sit in my house alone in a room for the rest of my life, i could die from carbon monoxide poinsing, so either way we loose.
    may as well look good and tan when we get all those terrible diseases the media has scared us with.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    it seems like everything now a days will give me cancer, luekimia, diabetes, ect...so, i guess even if i sit in my house alone in a room for the rest of my life, i could die from carbon monoxide poinsing, so either way we loose.
    may as well look good and tan when we get all those terrible diseases the media has scared us with.

well said bro

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Moderation is key.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    well said bro
    well every now and then im glad i can add a somewhat decent post!

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Tanning beds are sometimes a must. For example, I live in Minnesota where right now everyone is very very pasty looking. I went to Brazil last month and was 2 degrees away from the equator for 10 days. Once I have a base tan I'm good and don't burn for the most part but being that close to the equator most of the americans were using SPF 50 and still burning. Normally I use no tanning lotino in the states but on the equator is much different. I used SPF 15 most of the days I was down there and didn't burn at all (got very very dark tan though). There is no way I could be convinced that going to a tanning bed was not in my best interest before that trip.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    I have used the sunbed 3 times a week since April 04'

I used every kind of fake tan before that and nothing compares to the tan i have now. It looks more "healthy" too. I got naff comments like "is that coffee stains" and "you look orange"

As SVT said, you may as well look good. I may get run over tomorrow.

yeah tanning beds are great, esp being here in Mass, i just moved back from Florida for the past 5 months where i was living, and now in Mass, everyone is pale as snow and goofy looking and i have a nice solid tan going on and everyone compliments me.
    tanning beds are actually probaly the best thing for you, because they release good feeling endophins, and well, those are just awesome haha

and o yeah, the girl in your avatar MatrixGuy is slammmmmin hot!!

MoneyAddyct is offline Member
    Yeah...I was just about to make a comment about MatrixGuy's avatar...Is that your girl bro?

man, she is def wicked hot

i think thats his girlfriend

Bigstiffler is offline Associate Member
    i work in a tanning salon that my uncle owns & as long as u dont tan excessivly u wont look all wrinkely but make sure u wear ur eye wear!.. the best lotion out there i believe & swear by it is HOT by Australian Gold.. it is a maximizer with no bronzers so u dont get that orange color & it gives u a deep dark tan. check out ebay they sell it pretty cheap or in a tanning salon ur looken to spend from $40-$65 on it.. if your looking for a really good bronzer Almost Famous by Australian Gold is pretty much the best i never turned orange & the bodybuilders that come into my work use that the last 3 weeks before they go on stage everyother day & use the HOT 2 get there natural tan 1st before they use the bronzer.. Also if u can avoid tanning @ tanning bed or total tan it would be a good idea they barly change there bulbs & u will burn more than you tan... top of the line beds are made by ergoline which will give u the deepest tans if ur in the new york area i know there are 2 salons that have them; the 1 i work @ & another about 20 miles away if ur in the nyc area there is 1 i belive with them..

Triposinator is offline Associate Member
    get a watch

Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    To the Original Poster

are you kidding? I bet you believe the old story of the prom queen that died because she was trying to get a tan and stayed in for like 8 hours or something.

Look tanning beds are WAY BETTER than getting a tan out side in the sun. HUH, the hell you say!! yes that;s right.. okay lets look at this bro..

1. A tanning bed has regulated Time and UV output - the sun does not.
    2. A tanning bed you control the UVA and UVB light - the sun does not.
    3. A tanning bed you go in for 10 minutes and you are done, the sun you could be out there all day and not notice anything until the next day and you are cooked way beyond what any tanning bed does.

Now I personally only tan twice a week and do not use any of those over priced lotions BUT I bet with there was an unbiased study you would find that people that tanned in booths/beds had less skin cancer than those that tanned outside.. why? see #1,2,3 above but even more so when you tan in short bursts it activates the melanin in your skin which is natures way of protecting your skin from harmful UV radiation.

Now if you never tan and use those fake bronzers you are more likely to get skin cancer because your skin has no active melanin in it to protect you.

Do I have science to back me up on all this? Nope, sorry just common sense tells me that controlled light is better then non-controlled.

Oldman

ShnouzedUp is offline Banned
    Yea that chick is hurtin feelings... exactly my type.

I can get away w/ tanning only once a week and keep a nice base. I just use some type of lotion intensifier to help me get darker. Only time I go 4 or 5 times/wk from now on will be before a contest when you absolutely must have the darkest tan possible. Spray on or lotions suck, who wants to deal w/ that crap? They stain everything, streak, wear off unevenly and I think they make you look oranger than a bed does.

goose is offline Banned
    Tanning once a week with Melanotan II would be perfect.

goose4..

chest6 is offline Banned
    Melanotan is pretty damn expensive. Also as to a response the the orginal poster..everything is bad nowadays..

HULKBOY is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Melanotan is pretty damn expensive. Also as to a response the the orginal poster..everything is bad nowadays..
    i heard if you eat toothpaste you can get cancer an i used to do that to piss my mom off when i was younger but i get what shes sayin id rather be a lil pasty than look like i have leather for skin when im 40..

Disciple is offline Junior Member
    Yeah it is definitly a tough choice. I know it isn't exactly healthy but like someone stated before moderation is key once a week isn't so bad plus if you use lotions and the likes you shouldnt notice anything bad maybe...But personally i definitly like to have some color to me specially in the winter when i get pale. It makes me feel more attractive/confident plus it helps show off the definition of my muscles ya know and who wouldnt like that?

K.Biz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    yeah tanning beds are great, esp being here in Mass, i just moved back from Florida for the past 5 months where i was living, and now in Mass, everyone is pale as snow and goofy looking and i have a nice solid tan going on and everyone compliments me.
    tanning beds are actually probaly the best thing for you, because they release good feeling endophins, and well, those are just awesome haha

and o yeah, the girl in your avatar MatrixGuy is slammmmmin hot!!
    yea man, im in mass also.. i walk around like i just came from florida, and there like how do u stay so tan?... like its some kind of super power.. haha.. little do they no i drive down the street 10 min

and about that girl.. shes smokin!

Quote Originally Posted by K.Biz
    yea man, im in mass also.. i walk around like i just came from florida, and there like how do u stay so tan?... like its some kind of super power.. haha.. little do they no i drive down the street 10 min

and about that girl.. shes smokin!
    what part of Mass?

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    What are some good tanning lotions that dont make you look "orange"? I just want to avoid looking pale...
    the active ingredient in the artificial tanners is dyhydroxyacteone which reacts with proteins in your skin to make a pigment which is ALWAYS orange in color, some products add secondary dyes which wind up washing out after your first shower and the end color is always the same, im yet to see one self tanner that gives your skin a realistic looking tan that why i feel self tanners are a joke and noone should use the crap imo.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Tanning beds are hand down horrible for you. Don't tell me well the sun is even worse. I am not comparing one to the other I am simply saying that these beds are very very bad for your skin. I use to use them as well. After talking to my dermatologist I don't know if I want to go any more. I have sessions left from like 7 months ago. I just don't know if its worth it. Please don't challenge me on these just do the damn google search yourself so I don't have to prove you wrong later.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Wtf? is this even a debate? What the hell is wrong w/ tanning? People enjoy it and the hot dark chics-omg Plus that's where alot of my money comes from. Like everything, people over do shit and then blame everyone but themselves. White pasty chics-ummm-yeah jk

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    P.s. I read where breathing in stuff causes most of the know cancers, we need to just stop doing that and just die now.

Sorry I'm in one of those moods.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    I like white girls but I think I look better with a tan...I have the look for a tan but Im pasty ...

Big_Flex is offline Junior Member
    Damn bros, just about everything and anything will cause cancer. We all are genetically predisposed to get a disease or infection or sickness at a certain age. Some people are made to get cancer at 30 some at 150. Some go bald at 22, some go bald at 200. It just depends on the genetic clock in your body. But anyways, enjoy the tanning beds now because if you were meant to get cancer there's nothing you can do to prevent it. Just do all your sh*t in moderation and be safe.

As for oldman, I agree with your post, but you also have to remember that 10 mins in the tanning bed is wrapping up 2-5 hours in the sun. So it could be dangerous, but your smart and only do it twice a week such as I.

Jack Rabbit Slim is offline Associate Member
    Big Flex I would like to see the hard evidence to back your claim up. I agree with you to a point, like certain cancers that you can't prevent. There are cancers and things you can do to prevent them. What about people smoking? If you were right we might as well all light up and smoke, right?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    There is radiation in tap water....

Get A Tan...

Just like AAS will cause brain cancer.
    There is about as much proof with tanning beds killing people.

SteveinNC is offline New Member
    Yes, tanning beds are not good, and the sun is worse. Neither is a good idea, but we all have that thing about looking for healthy with a tan, when nothing could be farther from the truth. A tan is actually your body's way of increasing the amount of melanin to the surface of the skin to protect itself from further damage. That's the color you see. So when you see the color, the damage is already done.
    If you're in your twenties (just as an example) and want to look good with a tan from a bed or the sun....do so, but be prepared to look like saddle leather in your late 30's with all sorts of "sun spots" (created from tanning beds also), and worse case, skin cancer. I had a small basal cell removed from my shoulder in the early 90's. I was lucky. The dermatologist told me it was definitely damag created by the sun. Started as a little pink dot, then got to be about the size of half a dime, maybe smaller, before I did something about it.
    The market has come a long way in producing tans that look real. We don't live in the QT age anymore where you look orange.
    It's more expensive with the creams and more of a hassle, because they wash off and you need someone to do your back, but it's the healthiest alternative. Who knows, next week on the nightly news they may say that self-tanning lotions have something in them that's causing cancer in lab rats. Who knows?
    As from my picture you can tell I'm not a sun worshipper, but there are tanning salons now that spray you that I think is probably the best alternative. I think.

SteveinNC is offline New Member
    Yes, tanning beds are not good, and the sun is worse. Neither is a good idea, but we all have that thing about looking for healthy with a tan, when nothing could be farther from the truth. A tan is actually your body's way of increasing the amount of melanin to the surface of the skin to protect itself from further damage. That's the color you see. So when you see the color, the damage is already done.
    If you're in your twenties (just as an example) and want to look good with a tan from a bed or the sun....do so, but be prepared to look like saddle leather in your late 30's with all sorts of "sun spots" (created from tanning beds also), and worse case, skin cancer. I had a small basal cell removed from my shoulder in the early 90's. I was lucky. The dermatologist told me it was definitely damag created by the sun. Started as a little pink dot, then got to be about the size of half a dime, maybe smaller, before I did something about it.
    The market has come a long way in producing tans that look real. We don't live in the QT age anymore where you look orange.
    It's more expensive with the creams and more of a hassle, because they wash off and you need someone to do your back, but it's the healthiest alternative. Who knows, next week on the nightly news they may say that self-tanning lotions have something in them that's causing cancer in lab rats. Who knows?
    As from my picture you can tell I'm not a sun worshipper, but there are tanning salons now that spray you that I think is probably the best alternative. I think.

holy double post batman!

But like anything else, some ppl can smoke for 50 years and have no problems. some people can go tanning for 50 years no problem, ect. so there is a risk with everything.
    there isnt gonna be a whole generation (20-30yr olds currently) looking a 100 in their 50's because they all went tanning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information