Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Pain in left testicle=strained groin/abdomen?

What's up fellas, I'm a 26 year old male 6' 230 (a little chubby though) who's having some problems. In late February I was doing heavy deadlifts (heavy for me, probably warm up sets for you guys) at the gym one day and while doing my last set I couldn't even get 1 rep. I dropped the weight and was hurting but not too bad. I ended my workout completely. 1 week goes by and I noticed some pain in my left testicle and in my upper abdomen on my left side.

I went to my doctor who said I may have a hernia. She gave me a referell for a hernia doctor. I went to see him and he had me cough while feeling my nuts. He than looked at my belly button and said I had an umbilacal hernia.

A week later I had surgery to get the hernia repaired. I was sore for the next week but nothing too bad. However there was still pain in my left testicle and in my left abdomen. So I went to see him for my follow up visit and I told him about my pain. He looked at my belly button and said the hernia was fine. He than had me cough while feeling my testicle. He said "you don't have a hernia down there but you know what...you might have strained your groin." I said what about my abdomen. He said that the groin is connected to the abdomen and that would explain my pain in the testicle AND the abdomen.

He said I should go see an ortho doc and maybe go to PT. He also said he's pretty sure I didn't rupture the groin because it would hurt so bad I would know it. He said that the ortho doc would know better if I pulled/strained/tore it etc.

So I have a follow up appt. with my ortho this Fri. concerning my partial pec tear (another injury I have...it's been a living hell these last couple of months) and I will run this by him.

A couple questions I have for you guys:

1) Based on what I derscribed for you, what do you think I did an? (strain, pull, tear, what?) Does it sound like I hurt my groin or abdomen...or both? Keep in mind this started hurting in mid-late February and it's now late April and it still hurts.

2) Should I have the ortho doc schedule me for an MRI?

3) Depending on what you guys think I did, how can I treat this?

4) Is physical therapy for this a good idea? Will it speed up the healing?

5) How long until this fully heals? How long until I can workout again?

6) In addition to a possible groin injury, is it possible I might have injured my abdomen?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    boy you are really falling to pieces. ok, my first thought was hernia from the initial description. if the hernia was repaired correctly, than it shouldnt hurt, it is possible it is a groin strain but that should go away in 2 wks or so tops, see the ortho, get his recomendation. if it doesnt improve within a fewwk ofPT get the mri than, PT is always a smart thing to do , 2 thumbs up for PT

barbndr is offline Junior Member
    Doc said it all tommy, I don't have much to add. Strange that you have pain in the testicle though, not generally commonplace with groin strain unless you have some interesting anatomy. Keep us informed.

Thread Information