skinnyhb is offline Member

tanning beds: safe or nay?

are tanning beds more dangerous than real sun?

showtime is offline Junior Member
    idk....i'm doin it

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    who cares, the younger you are when you die, the better your corpse will look

daem is offline Anabolic Member

indoor tanning...

Sunlight contains two types of ultraviolet (UV) light: UVA and UVB. UVA rays consist of longer wavelengths that penetrate deep into the dermal layer of skin. Limited exposure to UVA rays causes skin to tan; however, most experts agree that overexposure to UVA can lead to other long-term skin damage. UVB rays’ wavelengths are much shorter, affecting the outermost layers of skin. UVB rays are known as the "burning rays" and are considered more dangerous. Tanning beds and sun lamps generally emit 93% to 99% UVA radiation increasing the benefits of a tan. This is three times the UVA radiation given off by the sun. Do the math.

D.L. is offline Junior Member
    just look at those girls who have used tanning beds their whole life, when they're 30 their skin looks like... well doesn't look good...
    so everything in moderation...

Nibbe is offline Junior Member
    A friend of mine used to own a tanningsalon, needless to say she was tanned all the time, a nice tan too. She then decided to sell the place cause she got a job at her dads company. The next time I saw her, a couple of months later she looked like she aged 15 years over those few months. I guess that if you do it to excess (as with almost everything) it's not to good for you.

Tan
    Tan is offline Banned
    It's alot safer to tan indoors , because the UVA and UVB coming out of the beds are controlled , you can't control the sun's UVA's and UVB's . I know because I own a salon the beds that I have only give out 5% of uva and 35 % UVB

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    It is a horrible thing to do to yourself. I have tried to stay out of the sun for the past 6 years (since I was 26). Now at 32, most people think I am in my mid 20's. The damage really doesn't fully come out for 10 years. I have freinds my age that lay on he beach all day or drive their jeeps to the beach for 3 and a half hours with the top down, no sunscreen, but they are 30 and look like they are 40. I have seen many pretty girls that I used to be really attracted to that literally scare me now.

Now its, SPF15 for me and very little time, maybe 40 min on the beach a few times a year. Sunless tanning has come a long way. Lets say you are in your early 20's, don't you think people in their early 40's have a lot rougher skin then you? Almost 100% of the difference is sun exposure, nothing else.

Steele is offline Member
    Scottp999,
    so, if you were to get ready for a show what would you do?

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    I use the tanning beds, but I do it in moderation because I do feel it's very harsh on the skin. The main reason I use the tanning bed is to ease some of the symptoms of my depression. Sometimes I even put sun block on my face. It's the light that makes me feel better the tan is secondary to me. Although, I do like the way the tan clears up my skin, but I don’t want to get like leather so I only go like every 2 weeks. Hope I don’t turn into leather face.. lol Peace.

CC

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Steele, just saying that tanning does catch up with you, unless you have a natural defence to tanning. I can remember at 25 taking extra long lunches so I could run home and get 40 minutes in the sun at lunch.

As far as a show, I am not an expert but I know that there are a few products out there that body builders use to get a pretty good look. I don't think tanning is required with the creams and oils now available to die your skin. I think there have been a few threads on sunless tanning and what everyone puts on for show preperation. Peace.

Thread Information