Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member

Question about hair loss please help

Im 20 years old and my hairline is starting to recede in the front and get thin. My sister and others have noticed this, which makes me think that it must be getting bad. Now my question is what can i take to help stop my hair from receding. I read that propecia doesnt help with the front of your hair just the scalp. Im not sure about rogaine or monaxidil. If anyone has any experience taking anything to help there receding hairline from stopping and getting thicker can you please post what you have taken. By the way i never have used steroids before so it's not from them.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I started losing my hair at 20 to. While propecia may not be good at growing hair at the hair line, most have success getting it to stop more recession at the front. I am 32 and took propecia/proscar from 1998 to Dec 2002. It stopped my hairloss. I only wished I had known about it when I was 20 but it wasn't out yet. I would recomend you try it asap. Buy proscar which is the 5mg version instead of the 1mg propecia (finasteride). Then split the proscar into 1/4's giving you 4 - 1.25 mg pieces. This is much much cheaper than buying the 1mg propecia. You can get it online if you want. I bought it from this site for over 4 years, no problems, www.net-dr.com , there are also other sites that sell a version from India that is even cheaper but I never went that route. In October a new drug was introduced that does a lot better job of blocking DHT than proscar/propecia, it is called avodart and was approved by the FDA for prostate problems just like proscar at 5mg was before propecia was developed at a 1mg dose.

Here is an FDA phase 2 trial picture for avodart with regard to hairloss.

http://www.dutasteride.org/dutasteri...de_results.htm

You can read more about it here:

http://www.hairsite2.com/library/article226.htm

DUTASTERIDE vs FINASTERIDE
    Unlike Finasterdie (Propecia or Proscar) which only inhibits Type II 5AR, Dutasteride functions as a dual 5AR inhibitors and have been proven to be more effective as an treatment for BPH and possibly pattern hair loss or baldness. According to GSK, Dutasteride has shown to exhibit significantly less inter-individual variation in the level of DHT suppression compared to Finasteride.

Everyone in the know believes that Avodart will grow more hair and at least stop hairloss for almost everyone that takes it. It is pretty expensive right now I pay $70 for 30 days worth through Sam's Club.

Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the info man i really appreciate it. Would you recommend me going to a doctor and talking about my hair loss? the only thing is im probably gonna have to find a good one who knows his stuff which is probably gonna be hard to find....Again thanks for the info

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Not sure. I didn't. Proscar/Propecia are well proven with long term studies. If you get side effects (very low chance) they are all reversable by stopping. They reverse quickly due to the short half-life of the drug.

That Net-Dr site above does an online consult with one of thier Dr's.

If I were you I would start there and wait about 6 months to see what happens to all the people like me who started taking avodart as soon as it became available. If there is a ton of positive feedback you might want to switch later. Good luck!

And make sure you give proscar a chance, don't get upset if you don't notice anything the first few months, remember it works for over 80% in stopping additional hairloss which is great while you wait for something better to come along. Try to give it at least 6 months before you make any jugdements, most people see thier best result after 12 months.

Thread Information