Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Rush is offline The Juice Man

Long term side effetcs of ACCUTANE? User's please respond.....

I will be going to the dermatologist in a few days and want her to rx me some accutane...i have had moderate acne for the past 10 years or so and have tries everything from oxy pads to benzamyacine (sp)...nothing seems to really make it all go away...i'm on proactiv nbow and its ok, but not where i want to be.........

.so my question is for accutane users past and present....please tell me of your experience and if it was worth all the side effects...also, what are some of the long term sides (aside from clear skin ), if any??? thanks bros!!!

com'on bros!!!!

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    very hard on the liver, it will dry your skin out very badly at first

have you personally taken it billy???

superjew is offline Associate Member
    I had SEVERE acne for years growing up. I took Accutane years ago, and it basically "cured" me. It dries your skin out pretty bad at first, but your dermatologist will prescribe creams to help with that. I personally had no long term side effects and I was taking a high dose. Though if you are prone to hair loss it will accelerate the process. (It did for me)
    Your doc should be able to answer all your questions in detail.

superjew, how hard was it to convince the derm. to rx it for you? easy? like i said i have moderate acne, but i have the under the skin ones on my back

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    Like the others said at first you get very dry, this was moderate for me. I had my liver values checked frequently and never had a problem here. Thge shitty part for me though was throught my use I had really bad chapped lips. It dries your lips up bad and you may look like you have herpes for the run time. Otherwise I love this product and I barely have a blemish these days. My bacne is completly gone.

Good luck with it Big Rush.

Peter is offline Associate Member
    I also took accutane in high school. It basically dries the shit out of your face and lips and in the first two weeks you might break out worse. It makes your face kind of red as well. But it is the only thing that really works. If I were you I would take it in the winter rather than in the summer because when you are on it you cant hang out at all in the sun. Also if yo are going to go on it go on while you are not on a cycle. I wouldn't want to be on that shit while juicing. Just my opinion though.
    -Pete

thanks bros.....bump

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I'm on my 4th month of accutane right now...I think I had a pretty bad acne developed after last summer, I never really had acne problems but when it rains it pours....

I must say that this thing is great, its working good for me, the first three months I thought that there were no changes but i start to notice my face is more clear and i dont have as many zits, but i still have the red spots, they go away after a few months or so(from what ive read).

You probably read all the side effect it can give you, but some can happen and others dont.

In my case, I had some nose bleeds after i woke up in the morning, my nose was just stuffed with dry blood, but its not as bad is it sounds, i just picked it out of there. You skind will be dry, but every one is diffrent, for example, my face isnt as dry as i thought it would be, but my lips cant survive without a chapstick in my pocket...its defently essential. The worst side effects you can expect is your lower back pains. I have some back pains going on for months now, sometimes its noticable, sometimes its not, but I can handle it. Usually i feel it if i make a suddent movment bending over or something, or lying straigh on the bed(but it rarely happends).

Thats all i can tell you about my experience s far with it. I recommend it.

thanks bros...bump

i have a derm appoinment on may 15th

goldenFloyd is offline Member
    took it before, going to take it again, while off, provided my liv values are okay. no problem before, it *is* a wonderdrug in my book. sides ain't *that* bad at all.

goldenFloyd is offline Member
    always have chapstick on hand and face moisturizer. for sure!

popa is offline Senior Member
    bro...to tell you from my experence accutane is a miricle drug, it does wonders. side effects are way over rated, I'm on it right now as we speak. takeing 80mg ed with no probs at all except dry lips which I hate, been getting nose bleeds once in awhile and dry skin. This will be my 3rd time on it so I know all the sides. I'm also currently on a cycle that contains a oral and still have no pain in the kidney or liver, my piss is water clear and I feel fine. I have very bad acne at the moment from gear my back looks like I been shot 10 times with a 12g shot gun and my face and shoulders are pretty bad as well I been on it for 3 weeks and people noticed a huge difference already. It will make you break out at first but it will clear up and your face will look alittle red but who cares you will be happy with the end result I garenty.
    As for long term sides...nothing really your skin will still be dry and sensitive for a cupple months after treatment just stay out of the sun. I found that winter time is the best time for this treatment...cause the sun goes down earlier that means less sun exposure (skin will not be a red) but alittle more dry in the winter caused by cold weather, you can take your pick
    Last edited by popa; 04-29-2003 at 09:34 PM.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    Do you have to goto the doc to get a script? my doc told me that she will only give accutane for the worst of acne problems. I have little fucking pimples or folliculitus... id unno what they are since they really don't have heads or anything, but they are on my chest, shoulders, back and face. fuck this shit. i want accutane too!

How can you get the doc to write a script if it is so hardcore? My doc laughed when I asked for it... right now Im taking tetracycline

well you can get it from a source if you know one, but I get it from my doc, so liver checks are a must. sounds like you dont have much acne just hit the steam room after each workout. Tetracycline should do the trick for you, if it doesn't just find a different doc and see if you can get it from them.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    well, i goto the school doc, so i can't really switch around too much. my skin problems aren't that bad, but they are definitely present. i know accutane is DAMNED expensive, but i'd love to try it out and see my skin clear up for once

durbin22 is offline Member
    I suffered from acne for 9 years. Acne just plain sucks. I was always self concious about the way I look and always felt people were staring at me. Over the years I have tried creams, lotions, washes and nothing seemed to work. Anyway when I did my first cycle of test it got awful post cycle. My back, shoulders and chest broke out real bad. My face got pretty bad as well. I went to the derm and was prescribed Minocycline for 3 months. This stuff did not even touch the acne. After the 3 months I went back I got a script for Accutane. During the first month I did not notice anything. After 2 months the acne started getting better. My skin got real dry and I had chapped lips. At the time I had a cold and got a few bloody noses from blowing too hard. After I finished the 5 months my skin is completely clear. I do have some red marks from the acne on my back but they are fading. Accutane has completely changed my life. It is the first time in almost 10 years that my skin is acne free. I do get the occasional pimple on my face but it goes away in a few days. As for my back, chest and shoulders there is no more acne. I would definatley reccommend it. I personally can deal with dry skin and chapped lips if it means that I will have clear skin. Good luck! Oh and get a good moisturizer and chapstick.

Big_BoneZ is offline Associate Member
    What dosage did you guys use??

durbin22 is offline Member
    I was on 80mg/day.

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    i am on 60mg/day, but this is usually determined by the persons weight

Pinch is offline Associate Member
    stay away from accutane if you ask me...

if you take the wrong dosage you can get elevated brain pressure and get brain damage...

a ton of other terrible side effects, which make roids look like childs play

Originally posted by Pinch
    stay away from accutane if you ask me...

if you take the wrong dosage you can get elevated brain pressure and get brain damage...

a ton of other terrible side effects, which make roids look like childs play
    brain damage thats a new one never heard that before, if you read that in a artical can you post it I would like to read it.
    I don't think the sides are as bad as people make it be

Originally posted by popa

brain damage thats a new one never heard that before, if you read that in a artical can you post it I would like to read it.
    I don't think the sides are as bad as people make it be
    my dermatologist told me this

he said it can effect brain pressure, and if you don't discontinue usage when you have this pressure it could result in brain damage or death

bump

I'm sure that from hardcore abuse, things like that can happen if your a fool. but for people that use it normaly they will be fine.

chevy44 is offline Member
    im in my 4th month and so far i have had, a rash from dry skin on my arms, VERY dry skin on my face, chapped lips, blurry vision at night, headaches, and thats about it!! but as bad as my acne was i needed to do it and it is worth it! and as far as convincing them, just lie and say u have used EVERYTHINg, benzmyicin, retin-a, tetracyclin, diferin, etc, i did this becuase accutane is usually the LAST resort, and they just wont jump out adn give it to u. keep in mind that there are so manymore side affects, including: depresssion, loss of apetite, increase in apetite, blochy skin, dry eyes, birth defects (for the ladies), and its pretty hard on ur liver.
    good luck and hope it works on u as well as it did on me

Originally posted by popa
    I'm sure that from hardcore abuse, things like that can happen if your a fool. but for people that use it normaly they will be fine.
    its not necesarly abuse

everyone reacts differently to accutane and if you take too high of a dosage the brain pressure CAN occur

also, it is well known that accutane causes depression and many have committed suicide while taking accutane...

Originally posted by chevy44
    im in my 4th month and so far i have had, a rash from dry skin on my arms, VERY dry skin on my face, chapped lips, blurry vision at night, headaches, and thats about it!! but as bad as my acne was i needed to do it and it is worth it! and as far as convincing them, just lie and say u have used EVERYTHINg, benzmyicin, retin-a, tetracyclin, diferin, etc, i did this becuase accutane is usually the LAST resort, and they just wont jump out adn give it to u. keep in mind that there are so manymore side affects, including: depresssion, loss of apetite, increase in apetite, blochy skin, dry eyes, birth defects (for the ladies), and its pretty hard on ur liver.
    good luck and hope it works on u as well as it did on me
    thanks for the advice brother...the sad truth is that i have tried everything, or pretty close to it...i remember when i was in 8th grade and i went to the derm (when my acne was the worst) and asked him to put me on accutane and he said no.....that pisses me off so much....i could've done it back then and gotten it over with, but i'm 23 now and have to deal with it...but i don't care if i have to go to 20 dermo's to get the shit...i will!

bumpity bump

freakmaster is offline Junior Member

nose bleeds

try a little aquaphor or vaseline in the nose, apply about a drop size amount on each q-tip. No more nose bleeds after that.

Re: nose bleeds

Originally posted by freakmaster
    try a little aquaphor or vaseline in the nose, apply about a drop size amount on each q-tip. No more nose bleeds after that.
    Cool, thanks for the tip...

chevy44 is offline Member
    i have had acne since 7th grade and even in 8th grade they told me i didnt need it!!!!!! FUCK THAT now i have all the fucking scars! pieces of shit!!!!!!!!!

PHATCAT is offline Associate Member
    Big rush I was on it back in high school! Fucks with your Mind its illeal in some states like MI. there was a case of a kid that had major deprresion and killed him self its not hard to comtrol compared next to 700 mgs of TREN . You will get very bad Dry skin espesially the lips keep some chap stick at all times! If you dont your lips will crack and its so painful! Ypu can not be in the sun your skin is to sensitive! Liver, yes pretty toxic I had to go for monthy blood test if the liver values get to high they stop prescribing it to you! So if your on roids it will effect your test! One last thing Its really really expensive so if your insurance doesnt cover it , Look out!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by chevy44
    i have had acne since 7th grade and even in 8th grade they told me i didnt need it!!!!!! FUCK THAT now i have all the fucking scars! pieces of shit!!!!!!!!!
    damn brother...i completely feel your pain 100%

Originally posted by PHATCAT
    Big rush I was on it back in high school! Fucks with your Mind its illeal in some states like MI. there was a case of a kid that had major deprresion and killed him self its not hard to comtrol compared next to 700 mgs of TREN . You will get very bad Dry skin espesially the lips keep some chap stick at all times! If you dont your lips will crack and its so painful! Ypu can not be in the sun your skin is to sensitive! Liver, yes pretty toxic I had to go for monthy blood test if the liver values get to high they stop prescribing it to you! So if your on roids it will effect your test! One last thing Its really really expensive so if your insurance doesnt cover it , Look out!!!!!!!!
    All in all, would you say it was worth it? Would you do it again if you had to?

HeavyDuty2 is offline New Member
    Shit I'm all for it mate!!!......over here were I live (NZ) it's called Roaccutane....it was a saviour to me when I was a teenager...I had to be refered to a Derm by my normal Dr after every other form of medication failed miserably!
    The funny thing was that the Derm asked me straight away if I was on gear!!........ Sides he told me about were the skins sensitvity to UV rays and the dry lips...........Suffered from both, but the result was worth it....and a great way to get a quick tan!.......He also made me get regular blood tests!!

Go for it!!

Deffinatly worth it! If you suffer from ACNE, mine induced from playing football the Helmet kills your skin, sweat and all! IT WAS MY SAVYOR! Impoves the way you feel about your self and the way YOU feel people look at you!!!!!!!!

Hey why we are on the topic, anyone get any LAZER SKIN CARE and what were your results? Its real expensive ($ 2400) by me but Chem peels will only do so much! If your using accutane chances are you have some scares left from going through this Awful experince!

ANYONE????????????

bump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information