GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~

laser hair removal treatment experience

I started LHR 15 months ago with groupon at reputable salon. I purchased multiple packages 2 large and 1 small area since my goal was to never shave again in my entire life. for the amount of $ I spent, I was hoping for no stragglers. I have random places were I will need additional treatment so that is disappointing. However, overall I am pleased.

laser makes a difference - 2/3 of way thru my treatments, salon updated the equipment. I wasted some time with the outdated laser system so be sure to investigate what type of laser, equipment age, and which clients will benefit from that type of equipment.

technician makes a difference - more or less experienced. never rush thru the appointment. since the laser follows the hair follicle, if they tech is pressed for time, they may skip the overlap. the technician will get to see areas not normally shown in public, so if you or the tech is a prude, could be a concern.

hair makes a difference - thicker the hair shaft, the better the results. hair shaft is thinner in some areas, for ex knees and the color is less dark. ideally, salon equipment will adjust for diameter.

salon makes a difference - some of my gf went to a salon that gives cash discounts. several reported they were burned by the laser, and very uncomfortable process. i would recommend you avoid the shady salons.

you make a difference - laser (or at least the one being used at salon) works best with dark hair/light skin. i had NO IDEA i could not tan thru this process. i have a high tolerance for pain so i was generally not uncomfortable during treatment. some areas hurt a little more then others. expect some discomfort especially if your pain tolerance is lower.

some ppl will need additional treatments for maintenance. its not inexpensive.

i am happy with the outcome but will be purchasing a maintenance package, on groupon deal. i only shave once every month to get the few spots that didn't take as well. It has saved me time in the morning and I don't need to worry about razor blades or razor burns or cutting myself.

sonmychest is offline New Member
    sounds good, still too expensive in my country to even consider it

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i did my back, went for 6 treatments and got pretty much no results
    i'm trying another place for my chest now. only had 1 treatment so far
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    OMG look what the cat coughed up!!!! Good to see you GB!

GGR - my wife keeps talking about this. She waxes her body and admittedly I love how smooth she feels for about a week before the hair starts to return. She swears that one of these days she's going for LHR. So you say you are happy with the results and it was worth the cost?

for me yes. Saves me 5 - 10 precious minutes every morning except when I have to certain spots of growth which is lighter and thiner. Some places are worst then others…shin (common area of concern), knees because of the curves.

A former technician says the key is high enough setting for the first 2 / 3 treatments and the tech needs to be assertive; not aggressive to cause burns. And it is better to wait 10 weeks rather then 8 to allow hair to grow back and break to the surface. I only waited 8 weeks for the legs, 4 - 6 weeks for the arm pits and all the other areas.

I bought another groupon to finish off the areas that didn't take. We are taking a pause to allow more growth and then hit it again in the fall. My tech did hit the brazilian area with a different setting…OMG I had to have tech pause and allow me to breath through the pain.

If your wife has a low tolerance for pain, she might need a bite plate.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    OMG look what the cat coughed up!!!! Good to see you GB!

GGR - my wife keeps talking about this. She waxes her body and admittedly I love how smooth she feels for about a week before the hair starts to return. She swears that one of these days she's going for LHR. So you say you are happy with the results and it was worth the cost?

Welcome back!!!! I have gf with similar poor experiences….and those places don't refund the $. I hope this second place works for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    for me yes. Saves me 5 - 10 precious minutes every morning except when I have to certain spots of growth which is lighter and thiner. Some places are worst then others…shin (common area of concern), knees because of the curves.

A former technician says the key is high enough setting for the first 2 / 3 treatments and the tech needs to be assertive; not aggressive to cause burns. And it is better to wait 10 weeks rather then 8 to allow hair to grow back and break to the surface. I only waited 8 weeks for the legs, 4 - 6 weeks for the arm pits and all the other areas.

I bought another groupon to finish off the areas that didn't take. We are taking a pause to allow more growth and then hit it again in the fall. My tech did hit the brazilian area with a different setting…OMG I had to have tech pause and allow me to breath through the pain.

If your wife has a low tolerance for pain, she might need a bite plate.
    Great feedback, thanks GGR. I'm pretty sure I'd wimp out with the pain. She's good with waxing (I've tried it three times and I'm not a big fan of it and I always break out afterwards) even in areas that would have me passing out. What the wax doesn't pull out, she plucks with tweezers - even in some of the most sensitive areas - ugh.

I think eventually she'll go for the LHR. Probably best she starts with the less sensitive areas to she how well she tolerates it. Burns would be my concern. I don't want her scarred but I suppose a good technician should be able to minimize that risk.

Google LHR burns. I would think a certified tech at reputable salon would not burn the client. It's nasty!!

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk

Great feedback, thanks GGR. I'm pretty sure I'd wimp out with the pain. She's good with waxing (I've tried it three times and I'm not a big fan of it and I always break out afterwards) even in areas that would have me passing out. What the wax doesn't pull out, she plucks with tweezers - even in some of the most sensitive areas - ugh.

I think eventually she'll go for the LHR. Probably best she starts with the less sensitive areas to she how well she tolerates it. Burns would be my concern. I don't want her scarred but I suppose a good technician should be able to minimize that risk.

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Anyone interested in this treatment check out the tria. It is a lhr product you can buy. I bought one after a girlfriend of mine had great results with one. For the price of a couple treatments you can own your own laser. It really works very well, and when those stragglers pop up you can shave it then zap it.

it is not as powerful as the professional units, but from what I have seen it only requires a couple extra treatments. Since you own it a couple extra treatments are no big deal. On the highest setting it is painful, but tolerable. If it hurts to much you can order topical lidocaine cream online, and apply it before you use the laser.

Thread Information