Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 2 Post By jimmyinkedup
  • 1 Post By skaz915

Thread: How to get rid of razor bumps??

musclestack is offline Productive Member

How to get rid of razor bumps??

I am prone to getting razor bumps after shaving. I never get it on my face, but it covers my whole neck and never goes away. I've tried some OTC products that are supposed to deal with it and even asked a pharmacist at Walgreen's and she recommended another OTC product for me. I can't remember the name of it right now, and I'm not at home to check (it's 'something' acid....think the word before acid starts with a "P"). I've used all of these products, along with a balm after shave cream.

In any case, nothing has helped, and I'm tired of these red bumps on my neck. Anyone with advice as to how to get rid of this?

P.S. I even break out with an electric razor.

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    I am the same way. 42 years old and been dealing with it since I was 17.

What I do - I bought a very good electric hair clipper ($200+) and I also got a 0000 blade for it that when used it looks like abpout a 2-3 day stubble. Not really a solution from me but just a work around.

If you must be clean shaven this ocviously won't work for you. Hope you get it sorted and if you do post it here because I'd like to know. I occasionally shave and I have to use a brand new blade and do my neck first. This minimizes it but does not eliminate it. I use a Mach 3 blade.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Sudocrem after you have shaved usually stops this from happening
    DCI likes this.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Go to the black (race) hair care section in the store they have good products to deal with special skin needs.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Sudocrem after you have shaved usually stops this from happening
    Do you know this from personal experience, Marcus?

I always use a brand new blade; never reuse them. I also use the disposable razors as I've found that the high-dollar razors with multiple blades actually make it worse.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    I always use a brand new blade; never reuse them. I also use the disposable razors as I've found that the high-dollar razors with multiple blades actually make it worse.
    I was going to ask you if you multi used your razor as this is a problem for some people. Even one shave dulls the blades and micro rust forms on the blades in between shaves unless a inhibitor is used. But I guess you answered that above.
    I shave (head and face) before I shower and then use a anti bacterial soap, followed by lotion on head & face immediately following drying off. Then has worked pretty well for me. If I shave after the shower and go I tend to break out more.
    BTW I was serious about the black people section for hair & skin products...razor bumps is a common issue for their skin type.

Do you know this from personal experience, Marcus?
    I use to get them on certain parts of my body when I shaved but if I rub sudocrem on after I shave I don't anymore, its worth a try. I was told my a professional barber/shaver.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Time to go old school. DE sfatey razor with shaving soap and brush. Will be the best move you ever made. Been doing it for some time. Skin has never looked or felt better.
    marcus300 and PistolPete33 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    I was going to ask you if you multi used your razor as this is a problem for some people. Even one shave dulls the blades and micro rust forms on the blades in between shaves unless a inhibitor is used. But I guess you answered that above.
    I shave (head and face) before I shower and then use a anti bacterial soap, followed by lotion on head & face immediately following drying off. Then has worked pretty well for me. If I shave after the shower and go I tend to break out more.
    BTW I was serious about the black people section for hair & skin products...razor bumps is a common issue for their skin type.
    Thanks Sicko. I will def check out that section.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    I use to get them on certain parts of my body when I shaved but if I rub sudocrem on after I shave I don't anymore, its worth a try. I was told my a professional barber/shaver.
    Interesting Marcus. From the little reading I've done so far on Sudocrem, it seems like it's a British product and relatively hard to find in the U.S. I could be wrong; will have to check the stores around here. If this is the case, do you know of an American equivalent of this product? I've heard Triple Paste is similar to Sudocrem, and you can find it in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Time to go old school. DE sfatey razor with shaving soap and brush. Will be the best move you ever made. Been doing it for some time. Skin has never looked or felt better.
    Thanks, Jimmy. What brand/model do you recommend. It seems like a lot of people are going this route (just from what I read on Amazon reviews). One complaint I keep seeing is that people often cut themselves pretty easily with these. Do you have this problem, or did you in the beginning? Any tips as to not cut yourself lol?

Interesting Marcus. From the little reading I've done so far on Sudocrem, it seems like it's a British product and relatively hard to find in the U.S. I could be wrong; will have to check the stores around here. If this is the case, do you know of an American equivalent of this product? I've heard Triple Paste is similar to Sudocrem, and you can find it in the States.
    Nappy rash cream!!

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jimmy. What brand/model do you recommend. It seems like a lot of people are going this route (just from what I read on Amazon reviews). One complaint I keep seeing is that people often cut themselves pretty easily with these. Do you have this problem, or did you in the beginning? Any tips as to not cut yourself lol?
    I didnt have much of a learning curve. You just have to take your time the firt few shaves. The thing you learn is the angle at which you hod the razor. Once you have that down is a breeze. The one other thing i you dont press hard into the skin just rest the head of the razor on the skin amd let the blade do the work. I actually enjoy it.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    OTC Tend Skin is what I used. It is flammable so it does tingle/sting a bit.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

MS

twitz is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    OTC Tend Skin is what I used. It is flammable so it does tingle/sting a bit.
    Skin Tend works really well!

Lee_1978 is offline Member
    I used to get them all the time whenever I shaved closely. Now, I'm sporting a beard, so it doesn't me.

Use pure Aloe Vera/Tea Tree oil or Lavender oil after shaving to prevent razor bumps.

Stosh_112 is offline Productive Member
    Ive tried every cream, gel after shave moisurizers used varius types of razors and still had razor rash. I did however stubble upon a product that im very happy with even with a half dull razor.... Look on Adam and Eve site and look up Coochie, My girl used it and seen it so i tried it and am amazed, never had a problem since. A lil pricey but well worth not having to use a fresh razor everytime. Check it out u wont b disapointed.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree with going old school with a safety razor and brush. I got mine from the Art of Shaving and it's 1000 times better. Way less irritation and a cleaner smoother shave.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    I use TEND SKIN. It works miracles. You can pick up at Sefora. I use it on my chest every time I get out of shower wether I shaved or not. Let everything grow back in while using before you try shaving again. Let the cycle of in growns come to a stop then use it.

When my estrogen is high but within range I am more prone to ingorwns vs low side of estorgen. NOt sure how that plays a part but its something I noticed on my body. I will have no acne on my body but am prone to razor bumps. Its strange

Brewster is offline Member
    https://www.pfbvanish.com

This works for everyone

dingobite is offline Associate Member
    These are the same visually as the mach 3 i use only these dont shave as deeply the first pass, needs a bit more work to get those missed hairs.

Im definitely black and if i go to deep a shave every one of those stubs ends up under the skin.

Theres a female shave model also.

https://www.800razors.com/?gclid=Cj0...XmUaAnMz8P8HAQ

woody127 is offline Junior Member
    I shave my face and scalp what I have found helps for me is washing my face with tea tree after I have shaven which just calms my skin down and use a Mach 3

skaz915 is offline Member
    i used to get razor burn on my neck real bad. I used to laugh at my gf becuase she said i wasn't washing my face before i shaved. I've recently started using dove for men to wash my face everyday and prior to shaving and using every man jack post shave lotion and I have had very very minimal razor burn since

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I just rinse with cold water, it seals up the pours quick and tight, ever since doing this I have never had another razor bump.

davesah1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    https://www.pfbvanish.com

This works for everyone
    This stuff did work
    I had your problem but some bumps would turn into zits. Worst spot was on the back of neck after a haircut, major ingrown hairs making big cystic lumps. Cleared 90% of my under neck issues from shaving, and at least half of the back after a cut. However, Im running low dose accutane now for other reasons, so I have no need for it anymore. Its last a decent while unless you shave like EOD. I refrain from oily shit, for me that just blocks the pores causing the hair a to have a harder time to break through. Wiping repetitively with rubbing alcohol often worked to dry up the area and probably kill some bacteria in the pores that contribute to it.

I also noticed that when I didn't shave against the hair it made a slight difference as well.

skaz915 is offline Member
    After reading this thread I've decided to pick up a safety razor. I used it the other day, i had zero irritation. I even when over it twice. Shave with the grain of your hair and take your time using a good shaving cream
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Zipper is offline Associate Member
    Witch hazel works great and is super cheap.

Nick147 is offline Associate Member
    Not to use razor?

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick147
    Not to use razor?
    What r u suggesting?

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    Don't listen, continue with the razor or what ever it takes to not become Chewbacca.

Player1 is offline Junior Member
    I have this problem too, I have a serious neck beard, and not much on my cheeks. I'd do well in the Amish community.

My solution:
    - Very hot towel on face for a minute or two before you shave, this will open up the pores and soften the hair a bit.
    - Use less blade razors, you don't need 12 blades with a super comfort moisturizing balming deodorizing rejuvenating hydrating toning strip.
    - Immediately after I shave, COLD water on the face to close the pores up tight, and prevent the hairs from becoming ingrown/bacteria to get into the open pores (1 min usually)

**BUY A HIGHER THREAD COUNT PILLOW**
    - This was advice given to me by an old timer, apparently it keeps your hairs from hanging up while you sleep and reduces ingrown hair a lot, it worked wonders for my adams apple area!

Good luck!

Simon1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    shave in the shower- wash face with soap - dove moisturising becuse my lovely wife leaves it in the shower- and use that as a lubricator as you shave using an anti fog mirror- i dont use a mirror because im so much in tune with my face that im now classified as cool.

i do my head every 3 days as well- same way

oh btw- buy the cheap single blades only- if you want really super smooth skin- see your dr about transgender hormone replacent therapy- otherwise a single blade will suffice and wont grab and pull your follicles.

...wish my wife would though
    Last edited by Simon1972; 05-07-2015 at 05:12 AM.

Thread Information