hawk14dl is offline Senior Member

hawk's Accutane log

I thought this may be interesting for some folks as a timeliness reference. I'll try to update as much as possible.

I started Monday with 20mg/ day. Single dose in the am.

After some more research, I found its often dosed 2x daily. Starting Wednesday I dosed 10mg am, 10mg pm.

I'm on trt, have mild acne all the time (shoulders/back and very occasional face). Since I'm on a blast, the acne has increased and also spread To my neck and lower arms And chest.

Days 1 & 2, nothing really happened.

Day 3, noticed some slight dryness in lips. Started using chap stick at this time.

Day 4. Lips are quite dry. Skin starting to dry out. Acne has actually gotten a little worse but I expected that.

Day 5 (today). Lips still dry. Chap stick like it's going out of style. Skin is really dry in the biceps but not really anywhere else. I'll be keeping lotion on the dry spots as much as possible. Acne is about same as yesterday. Smaller ones look like they may be drying out some, had a few new big ones pop up overnight. They're not cystic, but they are kinda painful.

I'll keep this updated if anyone's interested

RigPig is offline Knowledgeable Member
    yep, I'm watching Hawk, curious about this myself. Would you mind putting up progress photos? I get pretty bad bacne on cycle. Would like to see & hear how well it works.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    i haven't had a lot of acne (thank goodness). I know plenty of ppl who run accutane and does seem harsh. I use retinol A which drys me out nicely but again, i just get a pimple here or there. hope you do well on this!

I didn't take pictures, tbh a dermatologist wouldn't have written an rx. It wasn't that bad. I do get the occasional cystic pimple, but mostly just whiteheads on my shoulders back and chest. Being on blast they've multiplied and with summer coming up I'd rather have clear skin.

Played in a softball tournament out of town this weekend so missed Saturday and half of today's dose.

updates though
    skin is still dry. Lips are annoyingly dry (gotta reapply chap stick about every hour)
    being at the tournament I got a lot of sun. I don't typically burn very easy, but I damn sure burnt. Like a lobster.

Acne seems to be retreating already. I'd say I'm probably about where I'd normally be just on trt.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    hi hawk. i'm on dr prescribed accutaine - am currently at 2x40 mg/day. my lips are also VERY chapped. the doc said to try aquaphor - it's been great! give it a shot.

oh... doc said be really careful about sun. you will burn easily and healing is impaired while accutaine. i had a burned nose and it almost scarred...

Part of the reasoning behind my low dosage, to minimize sides.

Chapped lips are tolerable, as long as I keep chap stick on them.

The burn is already subsided. I think I'm going to start a course of mt2 to protect my skin a bit more during this.

Today's update. Not much changed, acne is still pretty light at the moment. Skin is still pretty dry, although it's still isolated to the bicep area? Weird.

I use the medicated blistex in the blue pod container to keep my soft

I'll keep that in mind ggr. Might pick some up when the next tube runs out (or gets broken lol)

RigPig is offline Knowledgeable Member
    hows the progress Mr.H? Any new discoveries? Is it working yet?

Acne is certainly subsiding. Skin is drying out a lot. Not just the bicep area anymore, it's moved into my forearms and up into the shoulders a bit. Also the eyebrow ridge is drying out.

With some lotion on to hide the flaky skin, I wouldn't be scared to go outside shirtless right now. Nobody has mentioned it yet, but if anyone does I'll probably just say I was sunburnt and now I'm peeling.

Sounds like starting to subside. Good deal!

my doc said use moisterizing lotion to prevent peeling - i applied 2x/day and it worked well.

Thread Information