• 2 Post By thisAngelBites
  • 1 Post By thisAngelBites
  • 1 Post By musclestack
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By Far from massive
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By lovbyts

Thread: face lotion/moisturizer to eliminate blemishes/wrinkles?

musclestack is offline Productive Member

face lotion/moisturizer to eliminate blemishes/wrinkles?

What the title says. I'm almost 31 now and, while it's not too bad, I have a few blemishes (dark spots) particularly on my forehead, along with some wrinkles (also on forehead). Does anyone recommend a product that effectively removes blemishes and wrinkles (and not just cover them up/mask them)? Looking for something OTC, but if there's nothing worthwhile, I'm open to other suggestions also. Would prefer not to spend a fortune either. Thanks!

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    I take it the dark spots are left over from blemishes? If so, you can look for something with kojic acid or hydroquinone as actives which will help you lighten them, or you can use topical retinoids or retinoid analogues (like retin-a/tretinoin, tazorac/tazarotene).

The thing is, if you use it all over your face, it will lighten all your skin (which is almost certainly very slightly darker than your base colour just from incidental daylight exposure) and the dark spots will still be darker than the rest. So you might want to spot fade, where you dip a cotton bud/swab in the product and just contain the treatment to the darker area.

But the most important thing along with this is sunscreen, because without it, the sun exposure will just keep re-darkening the spots. Olay makes a nice chemist/drugstore cream called something like Olay daily moisturizer for sensitive skin. It doesn't have any strong girly smell, and it absorbs easily, so I think men would not find it objectionable. It has an SPF of 15, which won't work for being outdoors all day, but will be fine for sun exposure to and from work. If you work outdoors or need more serious sun protection, let me know and I will suggest some products.

The alternative is to use a retinoid all over your face and to be sure to use the sunscreen lotion everyday and that will dull the dark spots and the sunscreen will keep them from re-forming.

Wrinkles are more difficult, of course, especially when they caused by muscle action (and I am assuming these are the horizontal wrinkles across the forehead, caused by the action of the frontalis muscle, used to raise the eyebrows). Limiting sun damage (by using a daily lotion with some sunscreen in) will help minimise further wrinkles to that area. But for now, if you really want them gone, you will need an injectable neurotoxin like botox, dysport, myobloc or xeomin.

Barring that, the best you can do (and the result will be limited) is perhaps using a glycolic acid product, and then using topical retinoids, as for the dark spots. But you really have to use a sunscreen regularly with the retinoids.

I'm just kind of giving you an overview, so if you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm sorry I don't have personal experience with a kojic acid or hydroquinone carrying products, but if you google those actives you will probably find products plus reviews.
    marcus300 and 956Vette like this.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Angel! I'm going to google all of this for product reviews when I get home. You know, the thing that got me interested in trying to get rid of the blemishes/wrinkles was a girl I went to school with started selling Rodan + Fields products. She took before and after pics of her face, and the results were great (obviously I don't know if there was any photoshop involved, but regardless, there was a huge improvement). The only turn off I saw with this the price! That, and it works as a multi-level marketing business, so I'm skeptical of whether or not it's a scam. I'm just looking for something similar to what this product claims to do that I can buy OTC and don't have to spend an arm and a leg for.

Again, I really appreciate your input!

You're very welcome.

A lot of upscale products can be replicated by using the same actives in cheaper packaging with less marketing - so sometimes that is the key. If you have any particular products in mind you can always post them and I will tell you what the active ingredients are.

Well, I actually wouldn't even know to begin looking, there's so many products out there that claim to do this and that.

Can you recommend a specific product that would do well in fading blemishes and reducing wrinkles without breaking the bank? Perhaps something that has the ingredients you mentioned in your first post?

If I were you, my choice would be to get a weak retinoid and use the sunscreen containing lotion everyday (if you're the kind of person with good intentions that will stop using the lotion in a week, don't do this, bc it will make your skin more susceptible to the effects of the sun). You can get a cheap retinoid like retino A at one of the well-known online places that sell prescription meds online with generics from India, etc. (since I don't think I can post it) - get the lowest strength (which will be 0.025%) in a gel if your skin tends toward oily or if you are somewhere really warm, or cream if your is in any way sensitive or dry.

That stuff goes on before bed, and I would start every couple of days to begin, until your skin gets used to it. I know men have skin that is thicker and less sensitive than women's' but still, you don't want to end up red and peeling, which you might do if you go gangbusters and try it every night to start without easing in.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to PM or post.
    956Vette likes this.

And if you want info on the Rodin + Fields product - find out what she is using and send me links to it, and I can see if I can find cheaper products with same actives.

PM sent, Angel!

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I am doing a trial with 3 products. Retinol a .05%. Copper peptide + Hyaluronic acid serum and vit c which I mix from powder every 20 days.

In addition I started derma needling my face and neck and hands. In past 4 weeks, have noticed a difference and expect continuing improvements over the next 5 months.

I am encouraged.
    Last edited by GirlyGymRat; 05-12-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Awesome GGR! Thanks for the info. Let me know how it goes. I'm just trying to look my best for our date in the future. LOL!
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

-Horus- is offline Junior Member
    This may help you out, a girl friend swears by it and the idea makes sense: Derma Roller System | Dermaroller | Dermarollers

-Horus- is offline Junior Member
    This may help you out, a girl friend swears by it and the idea makes sense: Derma Roller System | Dermaroller | Dermarollers

Thanks, Horus. I know of a few girls who have tried the at-home dermabrasion kits as well. Not sure of their results, but something to look into!

i am sold. its a bit painful with the bleeding but numbing cream does wonders!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by -Horus- View Post

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I should lurk more often in here. I got those derma rollers about 3 years ago. I'm not sure where I heard or read about it but it just made good sense to me. Now if I would only use it more than 1x ever 6 months. lol I'm that guy who buys stuff with good intentions.
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

i bought a machine that has micro needles. I was good about using for 2 months and getting behind. going to do tonight now

i do love it. it does the same as a laser, just takes longer. if you were to use the rollers twice weekly for 4 months, you would have amazing results. it hurts a little but not too badly!

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I should lurk more often in here. I got those derma rollers about 3 years ago. I'm not sure where I heard or read about it but it just made good sense to me. Now if I would only use it more than 1x ever 6 months. lol I'm that guy who buys stuff with good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    i bought a machine that has micro needles. I was good about using for 2 months and getting behind. going to do tonight now

i do love it. it does the same as a laser, just takes longer. if you were to use the rollers twice weekly for 4 months, you would have amazing results. it hurts a little but not too badly!
    I originally bought them (2 different sizes) for the wife. She has a scar on her leg from a burn that bothers her and I figured it might help with scar removal but she never used it more than once or twice so???

Ive thought about trying to use it to see if it would stimulate hair growth. Again sort of makes sense.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you want to lessen the appearance of wrinkles you can also use the original preparation H which contains Retinol™ you can not get this in the US due to the government being in bed with big pharma, however I am pretty sure Canada still sells it.
    lovbyts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive
    If you want to lessen the appearance of wrinkles you can also use the original preparation H which contains Retinol™ you can not get this in the US due to the government being in bed with big pharma, however I am pretty sure Canada still sells it.
    I just buy retinol on line unless I happen to have s prescription from derm.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    I originally bought them (2 different sizes) for the wife. She has a scar on her leg from a burn that bothers her and I figured it might help with scar removal but she never used it more than once or twice so??? Ive thought about trying to use it to see if it would stimulate hair growth. Again sort of makes sense.
    Yes. It does work for hair growth!!! Here's a website.
    own doc . Com

A gf told me to use wheat germ oil on scars. She said to buy the capsule and pierce hole and rub into scar. I haven't tried this myself but she claims it works!!!

Yes. It does work for hair growth!!! Here's a website.
    own doc . Com

A gf told me to use wheat germ oil on scars. She said to buy the capsule and pierce hole and rub into scar. I haven't tried this myself but she claims it works!!!
    Yeah I knew I was onto something.
    Ive also heard about wheat germ but more about coconut oil lately. I think it's one of the next big miracle natural cures.

Have you seen or heard about this stuff called instantly ageless? One of my daughters friends sells it and I saw some youtube videos on it, pretty cool stuff but I'm not sure how long the effects are good for. Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    I was under the impression that all the hoopla about the original preparation H was a shark oil that it contained? Did it contain retinol as well? Maybe just some naturally occuring vitamin a derivative due to the shark/sea stuff?

Retinol is so weak, and better preparations are easily available at the various overseas chemists.

Yeah I knew I was onto something. Ive also heard about wheat germ but more about coconut oil lately. I think it's one of the next big miracle natural cures. Have you seen or heard about this stuff called instantly ageless? One of my daughters friends sells it and I saw some youtube videos on it, pretty cool stuff but I'm not sure how long the effects are good for. Google it.
    Ahead of the curve

I have been micro needling for 2 mo and noticing a difference. I can't wait to see what 4 mo looks like.

The wheat germ thing is new to me. Coconut oil is not. I use it to make my own sugar scrubs with raw brown sugar.

Re product. I have spend so much $$$ on products make huge claims with little results. so I decided to go back to basics and save my hard earned cash for other splurges. I am using copper peptides, Vit C (from powder mixed by yours truly since only stays active for 21 days after mixing), and ifadolan ointment which has Vit A and D used post derma needling. I also use ViT A sparingly since it dries me out terribly.

A little story. Lady at work got herself some fillers. Went to a spa. Twice. 4 vials. She was trying to fill in the smile lines around the mouth and her jawls (sp?). Her cheeks look so full and the lines are still there. Her lines were deeper and seemingly genetic as well. I am under impressed. She spent $1500. In the meantime I a using my machine and seeing subtle improvements month over month. I spent $270 on machine and creams. I am happy so far. Can't wait till month 4!!!!!
    lovbyts likes this.

Ahead of the curve

I have been micro needling for 2 mo and noticing a difference. I can't wait to see what 4 mo looks like.

The wheat germ thing is new to me. Coconut oil is not. I use it to make my own sugar scrubs with raw brown sugar.

Re product. I have spend so much $$$ on products make huge claims with little results. so I decided to go back to basics and save my hard earned cash for other splurges. I am using copper peptides, Vit C (from powder mixed by yours truly since only stays active for 21 days after mixing), and ifadolan ointment which has Vit A and D used post derma needling. I also use ViT A sparingly since it dries me out terribly.

A little story. Lady at work got herself some fillers. Went to a spa. Twice. 4 vials. She was trying to fill in the smile lines around the mouth and her jawls (sp?). Her cheeks look so full and the lines are still there. Her lines were deeper and seemingly genetic as well. I am under impressed. She spent $1500. In the meantime I a using my machine and seeing subtle improvements month over month. I spent $270 on machine and creams. I am happy so far. Can't wait till month 4!!!!!
    Well I hope she has convinced herself that the money was well spent, but doesnt do it again...

What is your machine?

You know I have to pat myself on the back. I just realized if refrained from saying or actually even thinking about any derogatory remarks about face cream. I must be slipping. I need to check my hormones...

Well I hope she has convinced herself that the money was well spent, but doesnt do it again... What is your machine? You know I have to pat myself on the back. I just realized if refrained from saying or actually even thinking about any derogatory remarks about face cream. I must be slipping. I need to check my hormones...
    Bought it on that website. Derminator it's getting great reviews on skin care forums. Seems it takes about 4 - 6 mo to see drastic results. Using twice per week.

Yes. E must be high. LoL
    lovbyts likes this.

Bought it on that website. Derminator it's getting great reviews on skin care forums. Seems it takes about 4 - 6 mo to see drastic results. Using twice per week.

Yes. E must be high. LoL
    Ill have to look into that but considering no cycle for a LONG time????

OH, it's a machine the needles you. Mine are just rollers. I got them in 2 different sizes.

face lotion/moisturizer to eliminate blemishes/wrinkles?-gmt192.jpeg
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

do the same . i just didn't think i could press the roller into myself…me a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    OH, it's a machine the needles you. Mine are just rollers. I got them in 2 different sizes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GMT192.jpeg 
Views:	252 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	157689

Thread Information