rissinite is offline Associate Member

HELP: Ingrown Hairs like crazy!

I have got to have the most sensitive skin on my neck in the world. I can shave anywhere on my body and I have absolutely no probs. But when I shave my neck, my skin gets so irritated, and I get crazy ingrown hairs and irritated skin for the next few days. I have the type of hair that needs to be shaved like every 3 days, and it's a good thing, b/c if I was shaving every day my neck would be bludgeoned. Somebody help please. I've tried different razors, shaving cream, cortizone cream, nothing works. Anybody have any insight? Thanks guys

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rissinite
    I have got to have the most sensitive skin on my neck in the world. I can shave anywhere on my body and I have absolutely no probs. But when I shave my neck, my skin gets so irritated, and I get crazy ingrown hairs and irritated skin for the next few days. I have the type of hair that needs to be shaved like every 3 days, and it's a good thing, b/c if I was shaving every day my neck would be bludgeoned. Somebody help please. I've tried different razors, shaving cream, cortizone cream, nothing works. Anybody have any insight? Thanks guys
    Do you get small ingrown hairs, or big bumps everywhere that start to form cysts? Is this the front or the back of your neck? The best way to take care of it is to go see a dermatologist, they can give topical steriods that may help (kenalog, for one). Also, have you tried an electric razor?

ndd

KeyMastur is offline VET
    You can also try some Bumpstopper 2 from Wal-Mart.

Do you use aftershave at all or alcohol ?

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Look carefully at what direction the hairs are growing on your neck. Most men have hair that grows in many different patterns and this requires careul consideration when shaving. Keep in mind if you are shaving against the grain of the hair, you are much more likely to experience ingrown hairs.

Some suggestions:

1. Try shaving in a warm/hot steamy shower instead of at the sink. This helps soften the hair and makes the skin more prepared for shaving.

2. Use a shaving GEL instead of a shaving FOAM. Foams tend to sit on the skin offering much less protection whereas gels create a better shaving surface. Nivea for Men, Neutrogena, and Gillette offer good shaving foams.

3. Use a sharp razor that has at least two blades and a pivoting head and rinse it after every stroke. Using a dull razor can irritate the skin causing razor burn and increasing the chances of ingrown hairs.

4. Wash your skin with a mild cleanser after you shave and then follow up with a lite, oil free moisturizer on your face and neck. One that contains aloe and vitamin E are good choices. If you use an astringent or facial toner make sure it is alcohol free.

If following these steps does not reduce or end your skin problem, you may need to follow up with a dermatologist as you may have an underlying skin condition that will require treatment.

Doc

Imfamous10 is offline Junior Member
    hey about the ingrown hairs, I have bumps on my neck too, and if yours are like mine they are REALLY embaressing, Im guessing they are ingrown hairs)my girlfriend said so atleast, one time I got like a little wart thingy(not sure what it was, but I picked at it for a while(real scientific right) and it went away, but the red bumps still stay there,Ive tried bumpstoper and its a HARD fuckin shave, It dont matter if I use gel or foam, but the hotter the water the better, also if I shave cleaner(no little unseen, but feelable patches) its good, not to mention a good hot shower after shaving also help, but not all gone, I didint have them 2 years ago and dont know how I got them or how to get rid of them for sure, but maybe a dermatologist will help(will have to wait till I have some health insuarance, if u know anything that helps please give me a pm

rissinite is offline Associate Member
    THanks a lot guys....and yes, I've tried an electric....a good Norelco w/ the gel, but that didn't do any better for me

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rissinite
    THanks a lot guys....and yes, I've tried an electric....a good Norelco w/ the gel, but that didn't do any better for me

yes the electric one do nothing for me as well. the heat they generate make me burn as well so those are pointless. I have to shave down from the chin till i hit the attoms apple then up from the collar bone becuase of the way my half irish half scottish hair grows. Also when you are gone rinse off with luke warm water then cold as you can take it. Hit the hole area with baby oil and that works wonders for me

Jack Rabbit Slim is offline Associate Member
    I have that same kind of skin...i use an electric razor, the norelco advantage ( the one with the goo) anyway, i shave with that everyday and my skin has gotten alot better. At first it was sensitive like usual but then my skin got used to it, only the occasional ingrown now.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Try this . . .
    1) put some sort of skin moisturizer on it (Noxzema, etc)
    2) put a hot washrag on top for a minute and let the heat from the hot water soften up the hair and open up the hair follicule
    3) Wipe everything off
    4) apply Gillette shaving gel
    5) re-apply the hot washrag
    6) apply more shaving gel
    7) make your first shaving strokes in the direction the hair grows
    8) re-moisten the skin (a bit of water should do) and shave ACROSS (not against) the direction the hair grows
    --Tock

shim jahng is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Try this . . .
    1) put some sort of skin moisturizer on it (Noxzema, etc)
    2) put a hot washrag on top for a minute and let the heat from the hot water soften up the hair and open up the hair follicule
    3) Wipe everything off
    4) apply Gillette shaving gel
    5) re-apply the hot washrag
    6) apply more shaving gel
    7) make your first shaving strokes in the direction the hair grows
    8) re-moisten the skin (a bit of water should do) and shave ACROSS (not against) the direction the hair grows
    --Tock

actualy this may sounds really stupid, but my friend told me to use deoderant. i use the old spice endurence stuff its not white. its like a clear (not gel either) i rub it on my stomach after i shave it and it really helps the ingrown hairs.

Shortyrock13 is offline Associate Member
    I have the same problem, except I have to shave every day . I finally figured a way to reduce if not totally eliminate bumps, but it takes extra time.

shave after you shower
    get a preshave oil (check out artofshaving.com I think is the sight.)
    get a wash cloth and soak it in hot water from the faucet, and wring it out. press it to your face and rub the hair against the grain to lift it up.
    have your gel or foam sitting under running hot water(in the can to heat it up a bit)
    apply the preshave oil and rub against the grain, let it sit for about 30 sec to a minute.
    apply your gel or foam, making sure to apply it in a fashion that will lift the hairs up.
    let it chill for about 30 seconds
    shave that shit and rinse after every stroke, pay careful attention to go w/ the grain(can be really tricky on the neck)
    good luck bro.

Nixter is offline Associate Member
    I have the same problem bro. Use a regular razor for most of your face if that works for you. Then use an electric on your neck. Electrics don't shave as close so the hair doesn't have a chance to grow under the skin.

Nixter.

Thread Information