sensaispike is offline Member

Losing circulation

does anyone know what might cause loss of circulation??? because when i sleep now i wake up about every hour or so and one of my arms are asleep. could it be training or diet ect??? and some times when its not really cold my toes and fingers feal as though they are frozen... i guess i should see a doctor but i wanted to see if anyone else is experienceing this also....

L8ter....

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    This is weird b/c i have the same thing happen to me, and i think i figured out what it is. I sleep with my arm under my pillow with my head on top of the pillow, and the pressure from my head laying on my arm cuts off all the circulation, my arm went numb everynight for a month then i thought ill try switching how i sleep and my arm hasnt went numb since. Now if your sleeping on your back or something and your arms are at your side with nothing putting pressure on them then i have no clue what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    This is weird b/c i have the same thing happen to me, and i think i figured out what it is. I sleep with my arm under my pillow with my head on top of the pillow, and the pressure from my head laying on my arm cuts off all the circulation, my arm went numb everynight for a month then i thought ill try switching how i sleep and my arm hasnt went numb since. Now if your sleeping on your back or something and your arms are at your side with nothing putting pressure on them then i have no clue what the problem is.
    that might be the problem because i do tend to sleep with my arms under my pillow, i was not sure though but i guess that is all it is

older-than-dirt is offline New Member
    What you're doing is actually pinching nerves when you sleep on your arm cutting off the signals. It still gets blood flow .

Quote Originally Posted by older-than-dirt
    What you're doing is actually pinching nerves when you sleep on your arm cutting off the signals. It still gets blood flow .
    Hmmm, thats interesting, either way its annoying.

vanyel5 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by older-than-dirt
    sounds about right...what can happen is muscles can pinch nerves between other muscles or even bones(which could also account for testsubjects pain....the position you were lying in was causing muscles to contract and pinch nerves and when you switched positions it was alleviated)....think of that "sciatica" problem...that is your muscle pushing a nerve up in your sciatic notch and causing awful pain...maybe stretching the areas really well before bed, a really hot bath or shower, or massage....massage is more than just getting rubbed...someone trained in it would have some techniques to attempt to help alleviate the problem...

It's not just "about right", it's pretty accurate.

Last fall I paralysed my left arm for 2 weeks because of that. Didn't realize at the time that sleepinmg with my arms under my pillow and under my head could cause that much damage.

I'd wake up with my arm numb during the night and just shrugged it off... ony day I woke up, went to the gym on bi-tri day and my left arm wasn't working anymore... I would not even curl a 25lbs dumbell!!!! I also could not lift my arm past my shoulder. Part of the shoulder and the bicep were paralysed and it took over 2 weeks to regain mobility.

I went to a doctor, he didn't know what the problem was...
    I went to a sports med doctor, he had no idea of the problem...
    I went to a neurologist, she had no idea what the problem was...
    I went into physio and the tech knew darn well what the problem was... his first question was "do you sleep with your arm under your pillow/head"?

His "readers digest" explanation was that as some BB's shoulders get bigger, in some positions (like the arm under pillow position) the muscle mass may pinch the nerves of the arm causing numbness, and if ignored it can reach paralysis.

I've added a pillow and have been sleeping with my arms down since and have not had a single problem, and recovered 100%.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup

Last fall I paralysed my left arm for 2 weeks because of that. Didn't realize at the time that sleepinmg with my arms under my pillow and under my head could cause that much damage.

I'd wake up with my arm numb during the night and just shrugged it off... ony day I woke up, went to the gym on bi-tri day and my left arm wasn't working anymore... I would not even curl a 25lbs dumbell!!!! I also could not lift my arm past my shoulder. Part of the shoulder and the bicep were paralysed and it took over 2 weeks to regain mobility.

I went to a doctor, he didn't know what the problem was...
    I went to a sports med doctor, he had no idea of the problem...
    I went to a neurologist, she had no idea what the problem was...
    I went into physio and the tech knew darn well what the problem was... his first question was "do you sleep with your arm under your pillow/head"?

His "readers digest" explanation was that as some BB's shoulders get bigger, in some positions (like the arm under pillow position) the muscle mass may pinch the nerves of the arm causing numbness, and if ignored it can reach paralysis.

I've added a pillow and have been sleeping with my arms down since and have not had a single problem, and recovered 100%.

Red
    Holy Sh*t thats crazy bro, thanx for the heads up, i kept on shrugging it off as well, I could have very well ended up with the same problem as you. Ahhhh.... its all making sense now............Thanx Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    Holy Sh*t thats crazy bro, thanx for the heads up, i kept on shrugging it off as well, I could have very well ended up with the same problem as you. Ahhhh.... its all making sense now............Thanx Red.
    ****... that is crazy....i was doing the same thing just paying it no attention.....i am really glad you said something you just saved us a lot of trouble... thanks bro...
    i hope alot of people read this cus this is important stuff...

L8ter....

Well, this thread kind of surprised me...

Seems this problem is a lot more common that I thought... who knew?

Red

vanyel5 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup

Red
    well, yeah, i knew it was pretty accurate...i just didn't want to sound cocky ....... it is actually something we recently learned in anatomy and phys. so i felt pretty confident about the knowledge ....

I tell you what Ive been sleeping with my arms NOT under my pillow and my arms havent gone 'numb' for a week and no joke but my arms are working better, I was having a real problem with my left one(the one that went numb the most) and now it has alot more feeling in it and is a signifigant amount stronger. thanks guys.

Thread Information