123BJ is offline Associate Member

hair loss, surgery

after u have the surgery to replace lost hair will the hair be there forever or will it fall out again????............ how much does a surgery like this cost??? thanx for any input....

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Just shave it off brudda!

MJ

lets say i didnt want too....

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    If the transplanted follicles aren't DHT sensitive (from the sides or back of the head), It will remain there permanently. Surgeries can cost anywhere from 3-10k. There's a great surgeon in Vancouver B.C. who does phenomenal jobs, and since the exchange rate is good, you'll be getting a great deal.

My father had it done--good results. Make sure to research the hell out of it though, as a bad hair transplant looks worse than having no hair at all. www.hairlosstalk.com has a lot of threads discussing diff surgeons.

alright thank you..

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    How bad is your hair loss? I have had good results with propecia. It stopped my MPB within 4 months and slowly grew back some hair that I lost. I have been taking it for just over 3 years.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I spent 6k 3 yrs ago for my surgery, and love the results. if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Eating_Machine is offline New Member
    Transplanted hair may or may not take root for many reasons. no surgeon can predict a flawless surgery. Before leaping into surgery, try your hand at propecia and Minoxidil (Rogaine). I have been using both for a little over six months and although I get sheds (induced from the drugs), when the new hair grows in there is a marked improvment.

It all comes down to patience, when using drugs. You didnt lose your hair in a day and you wont grow it back any faster.

Oh, and just so you know, most doctors perscribe Propecia and Rogaine to their clients after surgery anyway...

Good Luck.

BrownBomber is offline Member
    I def. considering this in the near future. However, what is the recommend "hair replacement" method? Is it a transplant, plugs, etc. etc. Im not quite sure.

Thanks

MMC78 - Do you have the name of that surgeon?

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    The best method out there is the non-strip individual follicular unit transplant method. This leaves no scar at the back of the head but is generally more expensive.

I don't know of the surgeon's name off hand. Check the threads at hairlosstalk.com and you're sure to come across his name.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    the scar in the back of the head sucks for at least a year, then it isnt noticable anymore. -if you go that route. i cannot wait until they master the cloning of hte follicle, that will be amazing.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I have been using something since I found out there were things to help. I started losing hair at 20 years old and didn't figure out what to try until I was 28. Thank goodnessthe internet is more abundant now for young people today.

As far as drugs,taking propecia 1mg per day in conjunction with minoxidil 5%(rogaine) twice a day works very well for many people at stopping hairloss completely and for quite a few it makes many of the thinner hairs thicker.

If you are looking to keep what you have and maybe get some moderate regrowth then try that combination. If you have tried that for at least a year and want to try something stronger that works the same way then switch out propecia with avodart and go to minoxidil.com and order a 4 month supply of 15% minoxidil to use at night for about $85. Continue using 5% in the mornings.

If you really need transplants then the scar will suck and the other non strip procedures are very expensive. I am with 956vette, the hair cloning will be amazing and should be available in 5 years. I am going to keep using my drug regimine to hold on to what I have now until that new procedure becomes available and has a proven track record. Hopefully in 10 years they will have the adult stem cell method perfected and no more need for anyone to go bald. Good luck to you!

Solrock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    Hopefully in 10 years they will have the adult stem cell method perfected and no more need for anyone to go bald. Good luck to you!
    You know what happens then, don't you? Bald becomes the rage with all of the movie stars and rock stars shaving their heads.

sp9
    I've got a monster sized brain and a giant freak head to hold it. so lets hope I can keep my hair to hide it

From Seinfeld, "I am a walking candy apple".

Eating_Machine is offline New Member
    Yeah, i have to admit that i get a boner thinking about the stem cell method and the drugs that may come from it to reverse hair loss BUT than i go limp knowing that I'll be 60 years old and it wont make a difference.

The docotor that is responsible for the stem cell research has been quick to point out that a cure is many years away.

I have higher hopes for hair cloning but isnt the cloned hair still susceptable to the effect of DHT?

i dont have a big head but just knowing that bald is the look I'll carry for the rest of you life can suck.

sp9
    I think the cloned hair will work the same as transplanted hair, just make sure you clone hair from the side and back which is not sensitive to DHT and it should last a lifetime.

Thread Information