Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member

PWO shake after ruck march??

On saturday I haffta do a 12mile ruck march in 3 hours up and down hills w/ 20lbs in rucksack, LBE, Kevlar, and M16. Anyone think that a pwo shake would be a good plan after that? What about just water or gatorade??

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    On saturday I haffta do a 12mile ruck march in 3 hours up and down hills w/ 20lbs in rucksack, LBE, Kevlar, and M16. Anyone think that a pwo shake would be a good plan after that? What about just water or gatorade??

You are not tearing down muscle tissue doing this, so no a PWO shake isn't necessary IMO. I would just eat a low GI pro/carb meal before and after.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    You are not tearing down muscle tissue doing this, so no a PWO shake isn't necessary IMO. I would just eat a low GI pro/carb meal before and after.
    how would a 12 mile hike with rucksack NOT tear down muscle?? just curious b/c when i run\jog anything over 3 miles i am sore as hell and he will be too..

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    how would a 12 mile hike with rucksack NOT tear down muscle??
    YAUP. Apparently I failed to stress the $hittiness of ruckmarches, they suck. I dont want to loose a bunch of muscle after this thing.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    YAUP. Apparently I failed to stress the $hittiness of ruckmarches, they suck. I dont want to loose a bunch of muscle after this thing.

I'm being serious when I say I still don't think a PWO shake is necessary...atleast not dextrose anyway.

If you want to have something, eat a slow burning low GI Carb w/ protein before you go, and then have a low - medium GI carb/protein meal immediately after. You should be fine.
    Last edited by LeanMeOut; 03-23-2005 at 12:38 PM.

singern is offline Banned

Sounds like basic training. Where are you stationed? Anyway It certainly wont do any harm to have the shake, after a march like that calories are not an issue, and your body will need some fast digestible nutrition. so have at it.

Im ROTC at northern IL, its a prelim ruckmarch for air assault school in may.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Dude I went through Air Assault a couple of years ago, you're going to get smoked on day zero, for sure. But a bodybuilder...you'll be fine. Good luck man.

MILPOLDAN1 is offline Member
    I miss ruck marches

Nutz56 is offline Banned
    i don't see any harm in a pwo shake. it'll just repair the muscles that u'll be working (i'm sure there's gotta be some tearin goin on there)... and if there is no tearing, oh well... just more protein right? couldn't hurt

HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!! I just got back from that bitch, I hadda do it in less than 3hours and I got 2hrs 44min. My dogs were barkin by the end Ill tell you what. Cupple blisters on my heels and left big toe hurt like a mo fo. Other than that it was just long, I didnt get winded and kept a constant trot/walk pace. Hills sucked goin up. I know Ginko, Ive heard all about gettin smoked on zero day. 10 hardest days in the Army they say. As for my pwo nutrition, I went ahead and had a #10 King size from Burger King w/ Dr. Pepper.

Thread Information