Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired

Influence of dietary arginine on the anabolic effects of androgens

Cremades A, Ruzafa C, Monserrat F, Lopez-Contreras AJ, Penafiel R.

Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Murcia, Spain.

Feeding mice an arginine-deficient diet decreased plasma concentrations of arginine, citrulline and ornithine in the females and arginine in the males, abolishing the sexual dimorphic pattern of these amino acids found in mice fed the standard diet. In addition, the restriction of dietary arginine produced a marked decrease in body and renal weights as well as in the activity of renal ornithine decarboxylase, decreases that were gender dependent since they were observed exclusively in males. The fact that these changes were not associated with the decrease in the circulating levels of testosterone and that the dietary arginine restriction prevented the body weight gain induced by testosterone treatment of female mice fed the standard diet indicates that dietary arginine is required for the anabolic action of androgens. Moreover, under certain conditions that could compromise the renal synthesis of arginine, as in the compensatory renal hypertrophy that follows unilateral nephrectomy, the myotrophic effect of testosterone was transiently impaired. The results also revealed that arginine deficiency produced an opposite effect in the expression of IGF-I and IGF-binding protein 1 in the liver and kidney. Taken together, our results indicate that dietary arginine may be relevant to the anabolic action of testosterone, and suggest that this effect may be mediated by changes in the insulin -like growth factor system.

PMID: 15531722 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Granted this does not tell you the dosage that should be, rather the importance of the compound. I thought this was interesting to say the least.

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    I dont think this says anything for supplementation, more so for avoiding deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum
    I dont think this says anything for supplementation, more so for avoiding deficiency.

But my point was the fact that its needed...

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Arginine is in the foods we eat. There is no need for supplementing with arginine, unless your a vegetarian in which case your gonna be deficient of alot of things. Also its a bad idea to base your info on studies done on a different species, they have differences in their physiology.

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    Arginine is in the foods we eat. There is no need for supplementing with arginine, unless your a vegetarian in which case your gonna be deficient of alot of things. Also its a bad idea to base your info on studies done on a different species, they have differences in their physiology.
    youre right its just junk info... my fault

nsa
    I wouldn't call it junk info, im just pointing out that mice and other species have different physiologies than humans.

nsa
    BTW, there is an interesting article in body of science (the magazine that comes with ASN orders) about AAKG and how it has been shown in several studies to be ineffective for strength gains, fat loss and muscle mass gains.

Thread Information