Thread: metformin

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

metformin

does anybody here use metformin or phenformin while on a diet??

I have heard that its great stuff when it comes to increasing insulin sensetivity and that it can aid in weight loss.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Re: metformin

Before I do my schtick, I have to compliment you, johan - at least you didn't say, "Hey, I just got some metformin. What is it and how do I use it?" Anway, I'm more familiar with metformin than phenformin, so I'll limit my comments to the first drug.

For the benefit of our U.S. readers, metformin HCl is marketed in the U.S. as Glucophage, and is probably the most commonly prescribed oral glucose-lowering agent in the U.S. today. Canada and the U.K. have had it for some 30 years, so they tend to speak in generic terms, but the U.S. market for generic metformin is just about to open up for the first time within the next week or two (Glucophage has only been available in the States since 1995). Because the market is about to widen, the manufacturer has recently been pushing two newer products - Glucophage XR, a time-release version of metformin, and Glucovance, a combination of metformin and glyburide.

Metformin is used to treat diabetes and does, indeed, increase insulin sensitivity. It's probably one of teh best drugs for glucose control because it is one of thefew that does not cause weight gain or contribute to water retention (as to the older sulfonurea drugs). However, keep in mind that because it is used to treat diabetes, its effect is to lower the glucose. Therefore, as with any drug - whether designed to reduce glucose or aid insulin production - a common side effect of metformin is hyppoglycemia (when the blood sugar goes too low - and if you ever get it, you will feel it).

Can it aid in weight loss? That's anecdotal. Indeed, the only use for metformin other than the control of adult onset diabetes is the prevention of adult onset diabetes. This is a recent phenomenon, and clinical studies are still being done to evaluate metformin as a preventive drug in persons who are at high risk for diabetes.

IMO/FWIW, if you are not diabetic and take metformin (or any other glucose-controlling drug, including insuin), you are essentially skewing your system. In other words, if you metabolize glucose in a normal fashion and are not diabetic, the use of a glucose-lowering drug can kick you over the edge faster down the line, especially if you have a family history of diabetes or are in another high-risk category (obese, smoker, etc.).

Ihate to burst any bubbles, but if you want to lose weight, the best bet is the tried and true - eat less. (All together now, "Duhhhhh . . .")

So, is metformin a great drug? For a diabetic who is able to control his or her glucose with oral meds (as opposed to insulin), it's a wonder drug. But for someone who is not diabetic and doesn't need it, it's best avoided.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I will add, that it will also clean your slin recepotor, making them work better, and more senitive which in turn will decrease the amount of slin your body releases. Controlling your slin levels is important in dropping fat. That is why keto diets are effective.

"Glucophage is the brand name for metformin hydrochloride.

Metformin is NOT oral insulin . People confuse it as such, because in most countries oral insulin is called Diamicron and metformin is called Diaformin.

When your body releases insulin, over time, your insulin receptors get 'dull', less responsive. In advanced stages that becomes type II diabesis.

Metformin 'refreshes' those receptors, making them more sensitive to the insulin that your body releases.

It is a great product. Taken straight after a large meal, within the hor you will have EXTREMELLY full muscles. Dosages are 500mg after a normal to large carb meal, 1,000mg after a big carb meal and 1,500mg after all you can eat at Pizza Hut. You can take it after as many meals in a day as you wish, as long as those are large carb meals.

I believe every human should be on metformin, as it helps keep your insulin receptors fresh and as such it will prevent typeII diabesis." Not my words thus the quotes, and thanks to BIG A for them.

hum but because of the increased insulin sensitivity would it not be great to take it with a protein/carb drink after workout to presver muscle mass while dieting??

The guys over on proffesional bodybuilding realy recomend the stuff and I was insterested in your oppinion.

They mentioned a study where they gave metformin to obese teenageres and put them on a diet and they lost twice as much weight as the kids that didnt use metformin.

I read the profile on metformin on the official swedish medical journal and they claim that hypoglykemia is very rare when using it. They even say that
    "hypoglykemia can not be triggered by metformin alone"

But they say that it can cause hypoglykemia if taken at the same time as alcohole.

Im interested in the effects that eye candy just described.
    Im doing a keto diet and the only carbs I take is post workout and on my eating day. So metformin would be great at those time I supose.

Does anybody think it can be dangerous to take 500mg metformin post workout with a high carb drink???

Its so cheap so i supose its worth a try if its not dangerous.

eye_candy have you tried metformin?

Yes

Used it when bulking didn't like it killed my gut, making it hard to eat. I did notice a bit more fullness, but nothing like being on slin.

Just starting it at 1500mg day w/ my diet see how it works. Today was 1st day, on fairly low carbs, between 50-200 depending on day, so be interesting to see how it affects me and body fat etc....

sounds interesting, keep us uppdated on your progress.

just fund some new info on the swedish medical journal.

it says

Hos diabetiker sänks blodsockret - dock inte till hypoglukemiska värden. Hos icke-diabetiker har metformin ingen blodsockersänkande effekt.

And that translated means.
    "To diabetisk metformin loweres blood sugar but not to such a dagre that it can cause hypoglukemia. With non diabetics metformin doesnt have a blood sugar lowereing effect".

So I guess its alright to test it, I will order some today and se how it is, I will keep you guys uppdated to if its effective or practilcy useless.

Thread Information