Thread: Is this true?

Saam_ee is offline Junior Member

Is this true?

Just read on a page that gainers are only good after training and not as an extra meal, apparently the kind of carbs that gainers contain have the oppisite effect if you take it like an extra meal without training.
    Something about the "fast" carbs in gainers raises the insulin level so the body starts breaking down muscle tissue instead =s.
    If this is true, then why have i been eating it 2-3 times a day (Of course ive beend eating 4 Real meals also.) accordingly to what it says on the lable . feels like ive been ****ing robed.

Aboot is offline Banned
    No, it's not true. Yes the majority of weight gain powders have a lot of simple carbs that will raise insulin quickly, but these don't "break down" muscle. They are more likely to convert to fat (unless you are in a calorie deficit) due to the fact that they enter the blodd stream so quickly as blood sugar, but no, they are not catabolic.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    It def is not going to be catabolic... Might make you put on more fat than you want but it will not breakdown muscle.

oh oki, thx =).

okay, gainer is not catabolic, but is it anabolic ? if not, how about using a meal replacement. ive never tried them cuz i thougt you only used them if you wanted to loose weight.

Aboot is offline Banned
    All food can be anabolic as long as it provides the correct nutrients (protein, vitamins, etc.). Meal replacements are good, but should not be used in place of food. They are ok once or twice a day, but whole food is where it's at for the vast majority of your food intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Saam_ee
    ...If this is true, then why have i been eating it 2-3 times a day (Of course ive beend eating 4 Real meals also.)...

Like i said, i eat 4 real meals but thats all i have time for, ive just finnished my first year of highschool, and now im gonna start working, im barely gonna have time to eat 4 times a day. besides that after workout gainer shake, is it better to use meal replecements when trying to get an "extra" meal???
    Last edited by Saam_ee; 06-06-2004 at 02:55 PM.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Depends on the type of meal replacement, but yes for the most part meal replacements have less simple carbs in them than weight gainers.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Meal replacements are alot better at replaceing meals than weight gainers, that should be pretty aparant. Its more well rounded like a meal should be rather than just protein and simple carbs.

Thread Information