OT8268 is offline Associate Member

Best time to take protein?

Besides my 3 basic meals, what are the best times to consume protein?

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    wow...surprised no one has taken this one.

All day, every damn day...take a look around, we got the whole world locked down, goin on and on, we won't stop, we can't stop... sorry bro, I got carried away.

Every 2 hours, some say 3, I say screw them.

Get 6-8 feeding a day. . .what are your stats?

Wake up meal, post workout meal, and before bed meal are VERY important.

peaker is offline Senior Member
    i'm with papa, i usually get as much as i can probably around every 2-3 i dont make a science out of it but i keep it within that time. Noticed a big difference doing it like that, also make sure you stock up before bed and if you wake up during the night down a shake

peaker

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I take one first thing in the Am and one before bedI don,t bother during the day because i know I,m getting enough

Core is offline Junior Member
    I'm with PaPa, I take it every 2-3 hours during the whole day. 7-8 meals a day for me. Its a pain sometimes, but then again I like eating

I am 5'10" 240, 18% bf play college football
    Damn doesnt that get expensive taking all of that protein?, I mean I can only use my meal card 3 times a day, or I could use it more but the dining hall is only open for about 2 hours for each feeding, what do you use during the day to get your protein on the run?

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    I take one first thing in the Am and one before bedI don,t bother during the day because i know I,m getting enough
    Billy what the hell are you talkin about? you don't eat protein during the day? so what you are sayin is you eat in the morning and at night and you get enough protein? How can this be bra? I am not trying to flame you or anything, but you know something we don't? One of those UK secrets or something? What is up wit dat?

Think what he is saying is that he doesnt take supplements durring the day because he eats enough of it regularly

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    "Get 6-8 feeding a day" PaPa you kill me. Whenever anyone says feeding I think of those bags filled with food that cowboys strap around the mouths of horses. Wait a minute!!! what a great idea!!! HAHAHA

protein is important, the more the merrier. As often as possible - great advice

weightsbeforedates is offline Junior Member
    The most important time to consume protein is post workout. Also called the golden hour. I drink a shake directly after my workout and then an hour later eat a solid meal. I like to space out my meals every two or 3 hours and rely on protein shakes for two of those meals. Just my $.02 though, take care everyone

solid90062 is offline Member
    I have tones of protein through out the day, but the best times to take it is right b4 and right after a workout (and when I say right after I dont mean after you get home from the gym).

i bring my protein in a shaker and down it before i am even out of the gym. i mix it with simple carbs to aid in recovery. whey protein is absorbed fastest so it is best post workout IMO. my before bed shake consists of a protein blend. your body breaks it down slower so when you grow during sleep, you have protein to build with for a longer period. i also eat a meal replacement bar between breakfast and lunch.
    this gets me about 6 meals a day which is about as much as i can handle without crapping my pants.

[i]i also eat a meal replacement bar between breakfast and lunch.
    this gets me about 6 meals a day which is about as much as i can handle without crapping my pants. [/B]

yep, it definetly sucks trying to eat at regular intrivals throughout the day. Good point about consuming protein before bed, I drink a protein shake before bed mixed with two and a half cups of milk, when mixed in milk the protein takes longer to digest which helps fight being catabolic through the night time hours.

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    hey guys cant you have to much protein and then your body justs wastes it? its what i was lead to believe/

Originally posted by Hitman
    hey guys cant you have to much protein and then your body justs wastes it? its what i was lead to believe/
    not for sure on any data to back my answer up but yes, I think it was stated somewhere that not to take in more than 70g per meal, I don't know really I consume about 250 to 275 a day and seems fine. I think even if you do not get 1.5g per pound of bodyweight but you try your best then that is sufficent. I concentrate on meal frequency.

Cleanboy03 is offline New Member
    yea doing a lot of protein is like pissing dollar bills away. Twice a day is plenty. One in the morning and one after workout, using it to repair torn muscles. More is not necessairly better unless you enjoy pissing protein and enjoy cramping and enjoy having the stankiest farts around.

HyperPhreak is offline New Member
    im 5'9, maybe 5'10, i weigh about 175, about how much protein should i consume a day?

thanks

Originally posted by HyperPhreak
    im 5'9, maybe 5'10, i weigh about 175, about how much protein should i consume a day?

thanks
    Hello there HyperPhreak, well about consuming protein everyone has an opinion to how much you need. I have read a Men's Health study that stated it only takes .75g of protein per pound of body weight to put on muscle. I believe this would be true for maintaining mass but the trick that has worked for me is say that you want to be 180 or 185lbs (a little more than you weigh now) consume enough protein that equals 1 to 1 1/2g per pound of your ideal body weight. So inconclusion, if you take 180lbs. that is a minimum of 180grams and a maximum of 270grams. Don't worry about it if you can get around .75 to 1g per pound each day and stay in that range I think you will be fine. Hope this helps, take care.

jammergsxr is offline Member
    PaPa did you say before bed?Wont that turn to fat since youre not active?Im usually hungry after work (im on 2nd shift)but I just drink water because I'm trying to cut.But hell if I can eat ...cool!

jammergsxr is offline Member
    Damn I forgot....I take like 4-6 amino acid tabs directly after working out is this enouph for protien intake?

Originally posted by jammergsxr
    PaPa did you say before bed?Wont that turn to fat since youre not active?Im usually hungry after work (im on 2nd shift)but I just drink water because I'm trying to cut.But hell if I can eat ...cool!
    It is very important to consume protein before bed. Try to keep the carbs as low as possible. I am a maintenance technician in a factory and I also work second shift so when I get in from work I mix up a protein shake right before I go to bed. I think it is important to mix the protein with milk because milk will slow digestion which keeps your body from reaching a catabolic state while you sleep.

xenithon is offline Member
    yes protein before bed is great - but milk, just to give a fuller picture, not only slows breakdown, but also can decreases absorption so that its not used as effectively as it should be. to all who take it with milk before bed, i would recommend not changing the solvent - use water, just use a protein meant to break down slowly ie. a mixture of different proteins which naturally breakdown at different rates.

Thread Information