Thread: ephedrine

potent is offline Junior Member

ephedrine

i have read countless threads and posts on guys and gals popping tabs from xenadrine, hydroxycut, eca's etc. all of these otc fat burners contain what i consider high doses of ephedrine. not yellow jacket high, but still high enough to give its user a amphetamine like rush. now, just because ephedrine can be purchased otc doesn't guarantee that its safe. dont forget ghb was otc for a few years also. a drug that has been the cause of several deaths over the years. awhile back i did a short 4 week cycle of eca and good diet and cardio. i felt good, my asthma cleared up and i lost a few pounds. i stopped taking it, because i couldn't sleep. anyway my blood pressure has been high ever since. there is no history of high blood pressure in my family and the doses i took of ephedrine aspirin and caffeine were normal avg doses. a young lady who i worked with this summer dropped dead after taking ephedrine one morning to give herself a boost. they revived her, but her heart had stopped completely. good thing she worked at a heath club. i think she took a few tabs too much that morning, but shit there are multiple incidents of death associated with ephedrine. not saying don't do it, i'm saying be careful. monitor blood pressure and heart rate and IMO supplement vitamin E.
    Last edited by potent; 02-13-2002 at 05:10 PM.

ironman57 is offline Associate Member
    good info, but why did you post in the picture forum?

musclemagGIRL is offline Female Member

just don't

Ephedrine is safe.... providing you know how to use it.... it's like any other supplement.... don't abuse and go over board.

People also seem to foget that you should cycle it too. Use it like 3-4 days/week for say 6 weeks. Then go off it.. overwise you will get immune to it, and need more and more to get the same affect.

I've taken it alot over the yrs....and I'm fine. Sure maybe I can't sleep that well on the days i use it... but I knew to expect that...LOL.

More is not necessarily better in this case.
    "Come and get some!"

i dont know why i posted here. my bad.

1.An Alaska jury awarded a women over $13 million after she suffered a near fatal stroke caused by a diet supplement containing ephedrine.

2.The FDA has determined that products which contain ephedra or ephedrine can cause nervousness, insomnia, hypertension, seizure, accelerated heartbeats, heart attacks, strokes, and death.

3. The makers of products containing ephedra and ephedrine deny that the substances are dangerous. However, over the last six years, these same companies have settled over 30 personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits regarding either ephedra or ephedrine.

4.Many more suits are currently pending.

5.Ephedra and other stimulants in herbal supplements are blamed for a Maryland woman's case of bloody diarrhea. A military doctor at Andrews Air Force Base treated the 26-year-old woman's ischemic colitis, a disease primarily diagnosed in elderly people when too little blood flows through the walls of the colon. Dr. Courtney Ryan reported that the condition disappeared shortly after the woman stopped taking the herbal supplements.

6.Texas officials recently passed a regulation requiring all supplements containing the stimulant ephedrine (also known as ephedra) to carry labels providing a toll free number to the Food & Drug Administration where users can report side effects. This is the first such regulation of its kind in the United States

7.In related ephedrine news, this week, consumer advocacy group Public Citizen filed a petition requesting that the FDA ban the sale of products containing ephedrine.

8.Ephedrine is linked to more than 80 U.S. deaths. Attempts to regulate the substance have failed to stop the nearly $17 billion-a-year industry.

9.FDA has concluded that synthetically produced ephedrine alkaloids are not “dietary ingredients” as defined in 21 USC §321 (ff)(1)…FDA has further concluded that products containing synthetic ephedrine alkaloids do not fall under the dietary supplement regulatory scheme and should be regulated as drugs.

10.· 3308 adverse events for all dietary supplements, of which 1398 (42%) are associated with ephedrine alkaloid dietary supplements (EADS)

· 137 reports of death, 81 (59%) associated with EADS

· 38 reports of myocardial infarction/heart attack, 32 (84%) associated with EADS

· 98 reports of cardiac arrhythmias, 62 (63%) associated with EADS

· 144 reports of hypertension, 91 (63%) associated with EADS

· 85 reports of stroke, 69 (81%) associated with EADS

· 121 reports of seizure, 70 (58%) associated with EADS

and these are just those that are reported.

perfectly safe musclemaggirl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sure its perfectly safe as as long as you blantantly disregard the infinite amount of evidence suggesting otherwise. oh nevermind i guess all these people abused it and didn't have a clue as to how to use it. saying ephedrine is safe is a dangerous statement girl.

Anaballick is offline Associate Member
    Good post. I would like to see more opinions on this. I have mixed feelings about Ephedrine, but I'm giving it another shot right now while I am trying to cut up. A lot of people, including my mom have told me how 'dangerous' ephedrine apparently is. I really havent bothered to research it much since it is over the counter.

Ironweb is offline Member
    As with any type of natural herb you need to use it with caution. Ephedrine will react differently to each person just like aspirin. Did some of those people have an allergic reaction towards it? To say it is safe is a fallacy that can be harmful to the person using it. That is why you should start off with a small amount and see what your tolerability towards it is. Then work your way to a normal dose.

We must consider the fact that millions of people have use it with only 80 fatalities. That ratio is very small and the reason why the supplement industry continues to produce it. I have read different stories about people who have suffered from ephedrine. The deaths that I read about all had one thing in common. That is they used ephedrine while doing heavy cardio exercise. There may be other stories but these are the ones that I read. Ephedrine will increase your heart rate and when you combine it with cardio for a prolonged time I believe that is and can be fatal. That is why I never do any cardio if I take ephedrine. Now I know others are gonna jump on that statement but this is my hypothesis that it is not good to mix cardio and ephedrine. Ephedrine by itself will increase fat loss. Why add the stress of an accelerated heart rate with increased stress on your heart from doing heavy cardio.

Adonis is offline Associate Member
    Like Ironweb said, ephedrine will react differently to each individual, I can mix cardio and ephedrine just fine.

I guess it's kind of like having worked out for 1 month in the gym and deciding to go on a 10 week cycle.

The first thing they say when you are going to start working out is "go see a doctor".

The first thing on the label of Xenadrine and other similar supplements is: "DO NOT EXCEED DOSAGE"..."WILL RAISE HEARTBEAT" , etc...

It's not fair to say that something is unsafe just because a 26 year old "overweight" individual decided to pop 4 Xenadrines and do 2 hours of cardio out of frustration due to a lack of fat loss and then has a heart attack.

People who abuse always ruined the party for others and I'm tired of it.
    Here in Canada, the government is voluntarily telling all pharmacies to take ephedra products off the shelf.

Why do millions of satisfied users have to pay for a couple of idiots?

i completely agree with you. the problem is when people start to say that there in no danger in taking ephedrine. some people can have a heart problem they were born with and not know it. ephedrine can complicate this problem. all i am saying is be careful and don't assume because it's otc that it's safe, because clearly it isn't. but like ironweb said millions of people have used it with only 80 deaths. so its like russian roulette, but with a barrel that holds 1,000,000 bullets. watch yourself, if you experience funny sides like skipped heart beat, or irregular rhythm stop taking the shit.

Adonis is offline Associate Member
    True.

But the media always puts dramatic spins on things and it gets blown out of proportion.
    Instead of educating people, they just jank it out of the shelfs.

Not very smart if you ask me.

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    I can tell you from my own acount that eca stacks can get adicting, i know that it is a mental adiction but still there have been days that I just really feel like i need some pick up, and just had to take some.. I was taking xenadrine, and just switched to sci-fit's thermo gen 2.. Watch out because 1 thermo gen is about the same as 2-3 xen. I didnt know my self and took 4 thermo cuts within about 5 hours... I thought that I was gonna have a heart attack. By looking at the lables they look very similar in amounts of ECA, but I find that 1 -2 a day is just fine...

ryan

Speaking of, I recently heard that the sale of synthetic ephedrine over something like 8mg per tab is to be pulled off of the shelves. Damnit, they just lifted the ban a couple of years ago. I personally think that the reason it is so harshly criticized is because of the lack of education associated with its use, combined with the fact that it is so easily accessible. I've heard so many false rumors from inexperienced or new people to the fitness word how ephedrine is this miracle drug that will automatically result in the loss of amazing amounts of body fat. I personally don't think that it should be pulled, rather more strict guidelines placed upon as to where it's sold and as to what its uses are. I've seen first hand some sales persons in so called health food stores say anything they can just to push it out the door and raise their sales quota. Potent, I can appreciate all of the stats that have been collected. Remember though, any drug that just happens to be under attack from the federal government can easily have a list made just as long, with a little creative thinking such as some of the cases mentioned in your post. Look at all the hype just a few years ago about creatine. How many deaths did they blame on that? I honestly believe that if the government was making more money on the sale of supplements, that it would be less inclined to attack them. Look at Cigarettes. The Gov’t has taxed the hell out of them. You can put arsenic and cyanide into a cigarette now a days and all the government will do is force them to post warning labels on the packages. Only time will tell what the outcome of this will be.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Abuse anything and it can be dangerous of couse anything can have adverse effects on somebody thats why it always says read the label.

I would NEVER take anything that I have not researched about I like to know what I,m taking and what the worst sides are.If you don,t do this you only have yourself to blame

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    This is an interesting thread!

Iv used ephedrine a few times but rather than use it for fat loss i tend to use it in fairly small amounts as a kind of training boost, and i dont use it when i do cardio.

Since we are all different i think that many of the reports about its dangers could well be..... fixed up is the wrong way to say it, but maybe you get what i mean.

We have all heard the horror stories about the dangers of AS, and when you look deeper in to those reports you find that the person(s) being reported were taking AS for prolonged periods with no breaks and had health problems anyway - is it possible these reports about ephedrine are similar?

I agree that research is needed before you take anything, and that it would be wise, especially in this case, to take small doses to check your reaction to it, before you start swallowing the same amount as "the dude down the road"

Taking any kind of drug is dangerous if you dont know what you are doing, or if you abuse that drug, but then, so is crossing the street. I think its a definate case of look both ways twice before you take a step!!

Primetime is offline Associate Member
    perfectly safe musclemaggirl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sure its perfectly safe as as long as you blantantly disregard the infinite amount of evidence suggesting otherwise. oh nevermind i guess all these people abused it and didn't have a clue as to how to use it. saying ephedrine is safe is a dangerous statement girl.

While ephedra is not perfectly safe I thought you were a little harsh.

From Natural Heatlth Magazine Jan/Feb 2002

WILL EPHEDRA BE BANNED?

Public Citizen, a consumer safety watchdog group based in Washington D.C., recently demanded that the FDA ban all ephedra products.

The group cited nearly 1,400 reports to the FDA of ephedra-related health problems, ranging from hypertension to death between 1999 and 2001.

It also cited 876 reports filed with the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) between 1997 and 1999.

The FDA reports cited by Public Citizen are misleading becaus they are not verified or documented with medical records, says Wes Siegner, leagal counsel to the Ephedra Education Council. Public Citizen cites a ris in ephedra problems butSiegner points out that more than 3 BILLION ephedra supplementsare sold each year, making the 1,400 cases reported to the FDA over 3 years a low figurd. And when you compare the number of AAPCC ephedra reports to the number of spirin-related problems--2,621 in just one year--ephedra's 876 reports over 3 years is also los.

Ephedra can be safely used when taken as directed by normal, healthy people.

I think its important for you all to have facts input from both sides of the fence. Is Ephedra perfeclty safe for everyone. Sure its not. But, just any any supplement it can be used for great results.

Hell the Chinese have used Ma Huang 9Ephedra) for 4,000 years, and I havent heard of too many negative reports from them.

Just my .02

take care and be safe

P

BiggerBri2002 is offline Senior Member

???

Hey Guys,

Very interesting. I've been using Ephredrine for a few years now. I think I have gotten immune to it as some of you have said. I take two in the morning before my workout and hardly notice anything from them. At times I am even still yawning when I get to the gym.

Should I take more or just go off of them for awhile and then start again. I do cycle on & off every now and them. Just skipped using them for about 4-5 weeks before Christmas and started on them about a month ago....Just not seeming to work anymore.

SO...should I take more...or just drop them all together?

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Anaballick
    Good post. I would like to see more opinions on this. I have mixed feelings about Ephedrine, but I'm giving it another shot right now while I am trying to cut up. A lot of people, including my mom have told me how 'dangerous' ephedrine apparently is. I really havent bothered to research it much since it is over the counter.

"A lot of people, including my mom have told me how 'dangerous' ephedrine apparently is." <--- Are any of these people including your mom Medical Doctors? probably not. more than likely they heard on ophra that Ephedrine is bad .

and you have made anothe r great poing by saying that " I really havent bothered to research it much since it is over the counter. "

anything you put into your body expecially pills you should
    research and educate yourself and others around you on the good and bad.

if everyone did this gear would probably be alot easier to get!?

Im not busting on you bro please dont take what i have said in the wrong way its just a good exaple of why ppl need to take the time and research, and by you comming on this board and posting and reading it seems you ARE doing a little research
    keep it up.

im 27, 217lbs at 6'2"
    i take one Ephedrine in the morning then 1/2 of one after lunch
    this gives me enough energy to get through my work out
    and im able to fall asleep at a resonable time. only thing that i notice that i dont like is the hot flashes my body will just pour off heat , burning fat? maybe.

one last though on my ramblings

at 18 you can go and kill and die for this country
    at 21 you can drink your self into a mess
    so why not at 20 if you want to shot your body full of roids or pop pills, smoke weed you should be allowed to do it , its your body!
    now if you hurt someone else in the process of doing things like that then you should be punished.

i hope i did not piss to many ppl off with what i have said

imma shut up now

Mounts is offline New Member
    i have a bottle of ephadrine plus
    25mg of ephadrine HCL
    200mg of guaifenesin
    im not sure what in the hell guaifenesin is, but i barely feel anything with 1 pill, so i take 2 at a time, it may just be my body because im not a huge kid, i'm 6'3 and weigh only 175, but my body can handle 2 pills at a time
    from my personal experience, this stuff is addicting. I've been chewing snuff for 3 years and i quit that easier than 8 months of ephadrine. Just dont take too many of these at once, or you'll end up feeling your heart beat through your chest and your head will be in the toilet puking - not fun

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    A great philosopher once said "That which doesn't kill you burns fat".

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member

Re: just don't

People also seem to foget that you should cycle it too. Use it like 3-4 days/week for say 6 weeks. Then go off it.. overwise you will get immune to it, and need more and more to get the same affect.

. [/B][/QUOTE]
    wait so if i take it for like 6 weeks every day the fat buring ability will get weaker? i heard th elonger u take it t he less rush u get but teh fat burning gets stonger ?if i cycle it 4 days a week ill lose more weight?( from teh first time i took them i can sleep fine i get no enery riush lol )

Thread Information