Fame is offline Junior Member

Advanced Creatine Question

No i am not a beginner, or a teen...and i know my question will be better answered by a doctor, which it will, but curious if anyone here has any medical background, i didnt see any other forums on this site where to ask this question.

One of my uncles ( i have 8), was diagnosed w/ Cystic Kidneys. Which is a hereditary disorder.

So i guess my question surrounds:
    " As the disease progresses, kidney failure follows:

Increasing creatinine levels
    Increasing BUN (blood urea nitrogen)
    Decreasing creatinine clearance "

Creatinine obviously being the breakdown product of creatine...

I will have to get a catscan just to be checked out as that is the only way to see them....no one else in my family or anything has been diagnosed, nor their kids, but they said everyone should get tested in the family as there is close to a 50% to get/have it...Wondering if increasing the amound of creatine intake, therefor more creatinine will just speed up the affects of any disease that might already exist.

And again, i know i need to talk to a doctor, but i though someone on the forum might have some medical background

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Im an undergrad pre-med student. Not a doctor but i'll tell you what i think. If you are running the risk of having cystic kidney's you should not mess around with creatine, tren or anything that can damage your liver, yes it will speed up the time til you get cysts in your kidneys.

Fame is offline Junior Member
    yea i dont know much about it yet, my uncle prob knew he had them about 5 years ago, all his brothers, my dad, their father, my uncles kids etc all got test/scan and didnt have any problems, but from what i have read they only know if it as a hereditary disease, right?, so i guess that just gives me that little scare ya know.

Do you know if its something, that if you get scanned for, and dont have, what the risk associated is? As in, will a doctor be able to say what the chances you would have problems are? I think what my aunt told my mother was that there was a 50% chance, but i dont know how scientific that is

My father got all the test like i said, and i asked him about it, he is going to call my uncle and get exactly the name of what he has....because you know how families talk, and by the time it gets to my mom telling me, the whole story could have changed...my mom does that often...maybe when i get the exact name of what my uncle has, i'll repost and see if u have any info ....or i can just use google like i usually do lol

thanks.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Increasing your creatine intake won't do any damage to your kidneys or your liver, only if you overdose. If you stick with no more than 10 Grams per day, you're fine.

Creatinine levels are raised by increase of muscle use, not solely on intake of creatine. The danger of overdosing creatine is from the raising of serum creatine levels, not the production of creatine.

The creatinine clearance test basically measures how long it takes for creatinine to disipate.

All three things you mention are the effect of the kidneys not being able to function properly, not things that cause the kidneys to fail to function.

So just remember, by working out, you're increasing your creatinine output and supplimenting creatine only raises the creatinine output slightly. If you want to lower your creatinine output, you have to stop working out. Creatinine is basically the waste product caused by muscle use.

I just bumped up my old post "The truth about Creatine", and that can give you some better info about creatine.

Good luck.

Thread Information