seesamplay is offline Junior Member

ion exchange or not?

Below is an excerpt from a CytoPro ad. I know, I know... it's ad, and this wouldn't be the first time that a sports nutrition company has bent the truth to their favor. It is very critical of ion exchange whey protein, though. I have read only good things previosuly, and I know reputable brands like Isopure (Nature's Best) use 100% ion exchange whey. I just wanted to get soemone's thoughts - hopefully someone knowledgeable and unbiased, although that might be asking a lot... (just kidding).

---

"...The net result is an ultra-pure, highly absorbable, undenatured super protein with the highest amount of muscle building amino acids, and micro-fractions and the greatest biological value. Most other whey isolate based proteins still contain the inferior low-grade ion-exchange form as their sole protein source. Ion exchange is a high-heat filtration process that actually destroys as much of the protein's powerful, muscle-building components. The process also adds unwanted sodium and removes important nutrients such as calcium and magnesium from the whey. There are some of the key factors that make CytoPro's CFM Whey Isolate stand alone as the permier protein for muscular development: CFM contains the highest levels of the powerful micro-fractions, glycommacropeptides, lactoferrin, and oligopeptides, which are vitally important for muscle building, wound healing, the immune system, and maximum digestibility. Ion exchange isolates are virtually devoid of these critical components. CFM contains significantly higher levels of growth factors (IGF) than does Ion exchange. Calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorous levels are much higher in CFM Isolate, which helps to keep electrolytes in balance. Ion exchange protein contains more than twice the sodium as CFM Protein. CFM provides the highest levels of essential amino acids such as glutamine, cysteine, glycine, and methionine..."

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    Heat generating filtering processes result in up to 15% denatured protein fractions, while low temp processes result in around 3%. Low temp micro-filtration is used by several of the major whey producers in this country. It would not be unique to Cyto-Pro to use whey derived from a low temp process. The ad is basically true, although blown up a little IMO.

eacman65 is offline Member
    good post

NewBreed is offline Associate Member
    blown uop in a kind that the Immunoglobulines etc are only useful for cows and babys without a build up immune system.

A grown up,with a working immune system will destroy all of the animal-like
    immmune fractions.

i´m not a real expert on this,but ionexchanged means altering the molecules electrical point by e.g. ph-ing the whole proteins to a certain point,that means slighly acidic some proteins are electrically altered,made basic and the elec. point of some other proteins are changed,but not all of them.

Now protein-ions have developed,some are more positive some neutral and so on;then they´re flown through an electrically charged filter and all the ions wich are charged differently will be filtred out.

Then the ph is put back to neutral and there are ion-exchanged peptides,proteins,amino-acids,without most of the things mentioned in the ad,plus the proteins are more digestible,so they´re absorbed better and more effectively,which counteracts a probalby worse protein-balance to CFM-Whey.

The IGF they are reffering to in the ad,is in the milk,but the real IGF-effect is not mediated through the IGF in the Milk,but to through the acting of peptides(fast absorbed predigested and/or digested proteins) on the liver and the hormonal response they provoke in the body.

tbosley1 is offline New Member

seesamplay is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input everyone.

A year ago I didn't even realize that there were different types of whey. To be discussing the benefits of ion exchange, CFM, micro and ultra says a lot about the knowledge of theis board as well as the advancements in the sports nutrition industry.

It comes down to this for me: if I am going to be buying bulk protein anyway, why not buy the absolute best available. It is highly unlikely there is a discernable difference in ion exchange vs cfm, right? But, if I have to decide between the two, why not get the one with the slight edge.

Sam

Thread Information