Thread: HMB Information

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements

HMB Information

HMB (beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate)

I personally love this supplement, i figured i would post some information about it to educate some people who don't know about it. It is completely legal and widely available at almost all supplement stores.

What is it and where does it come from?

HMB is short for beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate. It is a new and exciting supplement that is one of the most popular body building supplements today. HMB is a metabolite of leucine, one of the body’s essential amino acids. There are small amounts of HMB present in many foods, primarily catfish, grapefruit, and alfalfa.

What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?

Many of the world’s champions and athletes are using HMB and receiving dramatic results. Specifically, HMB plays a role in the synthesis of muscle tissue. It has the ability to burn fat and build muscle consistently in response to exercise. Backed heavily by science, HMB works for NFL greats like Shannon Sharpe and Olympic medallists throughout the globe. New scientific studies are being conducted on this supplement all the time. Recently, a study showed in a control group supplementing with HMB, that after taking 3 grams of HMB per day for three weeks, those who took HMB versus the random placebo takers gained three times more muscle on their bench press! Animal studies also suggest that it may increase lean muscle mass. A study conducted on humans showed that those who supplemented with HMB experienced enhanced strength, greater endurance, and increased fat loss. It’s ability to boost endurance alone is an incredible result. A seven week long study showed a much greater gain in muscle when a group of 28 participated in a regular weight-training program. How does HMB do all this? It appears to increase the rate of protein being used to increase muscle growth, while decreasing the atrophy or tear down of muscle that occurs.

A new study from two Brazilian universities included subjects with high cholesterol (12 older men, aged 50 - 72). They took either a placebo or 3 grams of HMB per day for four weeks. During that time, all the men trained five days per week with three of the days for aerobic training and two days for weight training. They found that the men taking HMB dramatically reduced their LDL, or "bad" cholesterol and had significant gains in both strength (as judged by 1RM in the leg press, lat pulldown and biceps curl) and lean mass. The placebo group experienced no changes in LDL or in lean mass although they did get stronger as a result of the training program. This proves it. HMB works for building lean mass and strength faster than if you are not taking it... and may even lower your cholesterol while you are taking it.

Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?

Basically anyone who is ready to experience some awesome muscle-building effects can benefit from HMB. Deficiency is not an issue, but building strength, getting cut, and trimming off the extra fat is. It is safe for men and women.

How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?

Generally, the research done involving HMB used 3 - 5 grams of HMB in combination with regular exercise (like weight lifting). Take it before training or before bedtime for best results. There are no known side effects when taken properly, only big gains.

hatchblack is offline Associate Member
    It has been my experience from anecdotal and doing research that HMB does absolutely nothing. Another Bill Phillips product that went on page 1 of the supplement review. Waste of money in my opinion but feel free to give it a whirl.

nsa
    I've been using it for a while now and i love it. Research shows its effectiveness in many third party studies.

Cyto78 is offline Junior Member
    Ive used it several times in the past and am always much stronger while on it.I personally believe it is one of the best supplements ever to hit the market.As with all supplements they dont work the same for everybody but HMB has always worked for me better than anything else..........gonna take some after my M1T cycle......

worldknown is offline Banned
    i gotta hit this **** up! pronto

nsa
    Yeah, for me the results were slow but very steady. Like cyto said, different supplements affect people differently, but for me HMB is a good supplement.

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    there is science behind it. as far as personally, whenever i've used it i've been on a number of other supplements and can't necessarily pinpoint how much benefit is coming from the HMB.

one of my personal favorite studies was looking at chickens. giving them HMB improved survival rate to slaughter. hey, if its good enough for chickens its good enough for me

GNC has it but it doesn't have the same name that you listed it under.. look
    http://gnc.mondosoft.com/cgi-bin/Msm...MB&hiword=HMB+

They say the scientific name is Calcium Hydroxymethyl Butyrate Monohydrate, is that the same thing as beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate. im confused on where i should buy it!! Thanks and how much does it typically run for?

Cyto78 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by worldknown
    GNC has it but it doesn't have the same name that you listed it under.. look
    http://gnc.mondosoft.com/cgi-bin/Msm...MB&hiword=HMB+

They say the scientific name is Calcium Hydroxymethyl Butyrate Monohydrate, is that the same thing as beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate. im confused on where i should buy it!! Thanks and how much does it typically run for?

I normally get my stuff from bodybuilding.com....or dps nutrition........GNC would be way overpriced.....All Sports Nutrition would have good prices to im sure.

its the same thing. manufacturers produce HMB as a calcium salt for stability purposes.

does it matter what company, like what wuold be better SciFit Extra Strength HMB, 750mg/120caps for 24 or Optimum Mega-Potency HMB, 1000mg/90 Capsules for 38. thx

birsling is offline Member
    They are probably the same, even though I am a big fan of Optimum Nutrition. You are getting a 1 month supply @ 3g day for both.

my advice is always to try and buy from reputable companies. the supplement industry is not regulated and what they state on their labels doesn't necessarily have to be contained in their product. there is more and more published evidence of this occuring. i actually posted an abstract from a study looking at st. john's wort on another thread... i'll repost it here just as an example of how much variation there is between different manufacturers between what it says on their labels and what is actually contained in the product. the reason for buying from reputable companies (ie Twinlab, EAS, and so forth) is that if they are found to be mislabeling their products, they have much more to lose than smaller, lesser known companies.

maybe someone knows otherwise, and please correct me if you do, but i believe the production of HMB is still under patent and produced by only 1 company. therefore, the HMB sold by different companies still comes from a single source. the companies just vary the strengths and slap their labels on them and thats it. HMB is still quite costly to produce so if you see a company selling it for much cheaper than others, you should question how they're able to afford doing so. are they perhaps skimming on the product? just something to keep in mind when buying HMB and other supplements.

here's the abstract:

Pharmacotherapy. 2003 Jan;23(1):64-72.
    Clinic at the health food store? Employee recommendations and product analysis.

Glisson JK, Rogers HE, Abourashed EA, Ogletree R, Hufford CD, Khan I.

Department of Internal Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216, USA.

STUDY OBJECTIVES: To determine what products health food store employees recommend for depression, to analyze the content of these products based on label claims, and to evaluate employee statements or recommendations for accuracy and safety. METHODS: Twelve health food stores were selected for the study. One investigator approached an employee in each store and asked what they recommended for depression plus five additional questions regarding product use. Thirteen products containing St. John's wort were purchased and analyzed for hypericin and pseudohypericin content using high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Total hypericin content was calculated by adding the values for hypericin and pseudohypericin. RESULTS: All 12 health food store employees recommended a St. John's wort supplement for treatment of depression. Furthermore, numerous comments made by employees regarding St. John's wort and the treatment of depression were unsafe and inaccurate. The HPLC analysis revealed that no product contained +/- 10% of the stated label claim for hypericin content, and two products contained 0% hypericin. The total hypericin content (hypericin plus pseudohypericin) of only two products was within +/- 10% of the label claim for hypericin. CONCLUSIONS: Health food store employees offer health care advice regarding treatment of depression with dietary supplements without proper scientific and medical training. Their comments could cause significant harm to customers. In addition, the inconsistencies of dietary supplement content continue to raise concern for individuals who use these agents as medical treatment.
    Last edited by sinista63; 07-28-2004 at 05:58 PM.

nsa
    Yeah, definately buy from a big name reputable brand, most of those tests that show that the product is underdosed is from a small company trying to make profit by cutting their products with something else.

fulforb is offline New Member
    I tired HMB when it first came out in the early 90's and paid 100's of dollars to do it for the required time. Felt and noticed nothing for myself. But like everything else, everyone is different and responds differently.

Makaveli_786 is offline Junior Member
    Man I used to take HMB after working out and it made an ENORMOUS difference, I react well to just about anything but HMB definetly earned its space on my shelf.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate (HMB)

TRADE NAMES
    HMB Fuel Plus (Twinlab) and HMB Fuel Mega 750 (Twinlab).

DESCRIPTION
    Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate, abbreviated HMB, is found naturally in living matter as a metabolite of the essential amino acid L-leucine. There is preliminary evidence suggesting HMB may have anticatabolic, as well as immunomodulatory, properties. As a nutritional supplement, it is popular among athletes engaged in strenuous physical activity.

HMB is also known as hydroxymethylbutyrate, beta-hydroxyisovalerate and 3-hydroxyisovalerate.

ACTIONS AND PHARMACOLOGY
    ACTIONS

HMB has putative anticatabolic and immunomodulatory activities.

MECHANISM OF ACTION
    The mechanism of HMB's possible actions is unknown. There is, however, speculation. The branched-chain amino acids L-leucine, L-isoleucine and L-valine are known to be beneficial to catabolic patients (sepsis, trauma, burns, etc.) by improving hepatic protein synthesis and nitrogen economy. These amino acids make up about one-third of muscle protein. Of these amino acids, L-leucine has the highest oxidation rate. Further, L-leucine has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis in muscle, and decreases in leucine levels in skeletal muscle and in serum have been noted following exhaustive exercise. However, L-leucine supplementation has not been found to have a significant effect on athletic performance. It has been speculated that the L-leucine metabolite HMB may be responsible for the inhibitory effect of L-leucine on protein breakdown. How this may happen is unknown.

In pigs, HMB is produced from alpha-ketoisocaproate, a metabolite of L-leucine, via the enzyme alpha-ketoisocarproate dioxygenase, an enzyme that requires oxygen and iron for its activity. This pathway, located in the cytosol, may also exist in humans. L-leucine is also metabolized in mitochondria to produce HMB in the form of HMB-coenzyme A (HMB-CoA), rather than free HMB.

HMB has been found to induce chicken macrophage growth and enhance chicken macrophage function in culture. It has also been found to enhance both humoral and cellular immunity in young broilers. The mechanism of these immunomodulatory activities is unknown.

PHARMACOKINETICS
    Little is reported on the pharmacokinetics of HMB in humans. Apparently, HMB is absorbed, and about 50% of an ingested dose is excreted unchanged in the urine. HMB may be metabolized to beta-hydroxy-beta-methylglutaryl-CoA, which is, in turn, metabolized to acetyl-CoA and acetoacetate.

INDICATIONS AND USAGE
    It is claimed that HMB can increase lean muscle mass and exercise performance, but this is far from conclusively established. There is the suggestion in some preliminary research that HMB may have some immunomodulating effects.

RESEARCH SUMMARY
    One study has reported that HMB-supplemented subjects (receiving 1.5 or 3 grams daily) lifted more weight compared with unsupplemented subjects. The researchers concluded that either dose of HMB "can partly prevent exercise-induced proteolysis and /or muscle damage and result in larger gains in muscle function associated with resistance training."

Because the subjects in the above-described study were initiating training, another group of researchers sought to determine whether HMB might have effects similar to those reported in the first study — but this time in trained athletes. This was a double-blind study in which 40 experienced resistance-trained athletes were randomized to receive 0, 3 or 6 grams of HMB daily for 28 days. No significant differences were noted in whole body anabolic /catabolic status, muscle and liver enzyme efflux, fat/bone-free mass, fat mass, percent body fat, or leg press one repetition maximums(1RM) strength. More research is needed.

Very preliminary research in some animal models suggests that HMB supplementation may improve several immunological functions that may result in decreased mortality in these animals.

CONTRAINDICATIONS, PRECAUTIONS, ADVERSE REACTIONS
    CONTRAINDICATIONS

None known.

PRECAUTIONS
    Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid supplemental HMB.

ADVERSE REACTIONS
    None reported.

OVERDOSAGE

No reported overdosage.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
    Some athletes use 3 grams of HMB daily during periods of training.

HOW SUPPLIED
    Capsules — 250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg

Tablets

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    I used it 4 years ago. Didn't really notice much. But I was taking under 2 grams a day so I may give it a go sometime at a higher dose.

hatchblack is offline Associate Member
    I think 1 fast 400 sells it in bulk.

Thread Information