Aggression is offline Member

Glutamine and creatine/whey compete for absorbtion?

I heard that if you take glutamine the same time you take your protein shake, its not good becuase they both compete for absorbtion. I also heard the same thing about creatine and glutamine, that you cant take those two together because they also compete for absortion.

Are either one of these true? What happens if you take those together? Don't some creatines have glutamine in them? Don't alot of protein shakes have glutamine in them?

I dont get it.

Also if you HAVE to take them seperatly, how long do you have to wait before you take one after the other (15 min, 45 min, 4 hours,???)
    Last edited by Aggression; 08-11-2004 at 05:39 PM.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Protein shakes have a fair amount of glutamine in them, along with other AA's, thats why you heard they compete. As for creatine and glutamine competing i don't think there is any reason that they would compete with eachother.

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    I heard that if you take glutamine the same time you take your protein shake, its not good becuase they both compete for absorbtion. I also heard the same thing about creatine and glutamine, that you cant take those two together because they also compete for absortion.

Are either one of these true? What happens if you take those together? Don't some creatines have glutamine in them? Don't alot of protein shakes have glutamine in them?

I dont get it.

Also if you HAVE to take them seperatly, how long do you have to wait before you take one after the other (15 min, 45 min, 4 hours,???)
    there has been mRNA identified in the intestinal tract that may indicate the presence of a creatine specific transporter but the actual protein responsible for the transport has not been found. creatine may also be absorbed through amino acid transporters due to its similarity to certain amino acids (lysine and arginine). even though though there is a possibility for it to share a transporter with glutamine (although its not as similar to glutamine as other amino acids), i doubt this would have a significant impact upon the actual absorption of creatine.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Nope. There was a huge thread about this awhile back.

So I CAN take creatine and glutamine together. Could you post the link to that "huge thread about this" Ronny.

Also, what about the other question. Can you take glutamine the same time as your protein shake?

yes... you can. but you might already be getting a large amount of glutamine from the shake itself so taking it at a different time might be a good idea

Forbidden Supplement Stacks. and creatine and glutamine, bad together??

these are two threads that have creatine and glutamine co-administration information (i'm not sure if these are the ones ronny had in mind). both of them mention not to take creatine and glutamine together but i think they based their information on hearsay. people tend to make bold statements that creatine IS sharing the same transport mechanism as glutamine in the gut but the truth is that the exact transport mechanism is currently unknown and most of the things i stated myself are theory. but, based on the information that is currently available and physiological and biochemical data, the co-administration of the products should be okay.

to clarify what i just posted, it is okay to take glutamine with the protein but you might just be wasting your money because you're already getting a good dose of glutamine from your main protein source (your shake). therefore, it would be a good idea to seperate the two.
    Last edited by sinista63; 08-11-2004 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks!

I'm gonna ditch the glutamine. I'm taking 2-3 Pro Blend 55 shakes a day. They have plenty of glutamine and BCAA's in them.

You're right. I'd be wasting my money.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    a big benefit of glutamine powder is that you can take glutamine before and after cardio on an empty stomache.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    also, ronny? can you take creatine and glutamine with food. i have read very contradicting views

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    also, ronny? can you take creatine and glutamine with food. i have read very contradicting views

Yes, you can.

Thread Information