Thread: Expiry dates?

LionHeart is offline New Member

Question Expiry dates?

I have 2 bottles of Betagen creatine powder by EAS, one has a stamp that says best by 06/04 and the other 05/04. Now that it is currently 08/04, what effect will this have on the creatine? Should I still be able to take it successfully, or has it lost too much of it's potency? Thanks for your replies.

birsling is offline Member
    You already have it bro, I would take it. It is not that far out of date. Is this sealed containers, or partials? I am no expert, but I bet it is probably fine

birsling is offline Member
    BTW, if you don't want it, mail it to me. I will test it for you

Lol thanks dude, the containers were sealed...hopefully your right and they work out ok

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Youre not going to die

Well obviously not, I just wanted to know how the potency would be affected.

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    its difficult to say for supplements. the typical rule for prescription medications is that the expiration date indicates the point in time when 10% of the product has degraded. since supplements are not regulated by the government, its difficult to say what that expiration date means. i look at it as the supplement company guaranteeing potency up until that date. but how much potency is lost at that point? who knows. i don't think that it would be necessarily dangerous for you to take it but you are probably are losing some potency. how much potency is lost also depends on where you stored it and if it had been opened before.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Generally, three months after the experation date you're getting about full potency in most products. After that, it depends on the product. With creatine, it depends on how it's made, sealed and stored. A lot of factors to take into consideration. But it's only a few months past the date (not even an experation date, a best if used date). Just take it as you normally would. A little less will be absorbed at worst.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    FYI, in the hospital they keep an eye on the experation dates of suppliments like Insure. If a product passes the experation date, they aren't allowed to sell it to a patient, but they can give it away and they will give it away up to three months past the experation date.

Thread Information