Dangermouse is offline New Member

Ginger root and protein absorption

I was just browsing the boards and saw that someone had recommended using ginger root to increase the absorption of high-protein meals. How does that work? (I'm guessing that some portion of it is either proteolytic or an insulo-mimetic?) And what dosage should be used?

I'm new on the boards here, but I've found what I've seen to be an educational, interesting, and enjoyable forum - keep up the good work!

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    never heard of that sounds kinda hippy to me
    oh did you know if you wear a Crystal around your neck you can increase your bench 10lbs hehehe

if you find out anymore on this w/ the ginger please post it

best i can find: Ginger Root Known to stimulate circulation and aid in digestion says nothing about absorption
    Last edited by DevilsDeity; 03-05-2002 at 01:41 PM.

Yeah, it sounded kinda strange to me, too... That's why I asked. The first time I ever heard of using ginger root for this was in one of the other threads on this board.

If it truly does work, it sounds like it could be a cheap and simple way of upping your daily protein intake. But it does sound potentially "hippie" (I like that term!), and if I'm putting something into my body I like to know what it does. I'll check it out, see what I come up with...

Here's what I've got so far

I checked on Medline about ginger root. I didn't find any data regarding it directly affecting protein absorption, but it does contain proteases and does stimulate gastric and pancreatic enzyme secretion, thereby facilitating protein digestion. It also decreases gastric motility, increasing the time the ingested protein remains in the stomach and small intestines, time during which the protein can be absorbed. So it makes sense that this may help. Has anyone used it? Does it help?

Thread Information