Thread: liver problems?

devgulp is offline New Member

liver problems?

I recently took a blood test and had elevated liver enzymes(is what the doc said over the phone), could this be a result of taking creatine and glutamine supplements? I have not ever taken any type of gear before and do not drink. Any ideas?

Thanks

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    ive never had liver problems and ive been taking creatine and glutamine supplements on and off for 5 years now

you should have asked the doc what could have caused this problem im pretty sure hes qualified to answer that

i go back for a follow-up blood test and i'll sit down and talk with him about it this coming week. It was a quick conversation over the phone so i didn't get much info. Thanks though

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    yeah, I had tests done a few months back, and everything was okay. I've been taking creatine pushing 5 years now.

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    creatine and glutamine can be hard on the kidneys if taken in excess, but should not effect the liver.

are you a heavy drinker? do you use and steroids ?

nah, no drinkin or gear here... i drank occasionally untill i began lifting heavily, and i've never used any rec drugs...

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    If I were you I'd talk to your doc. Also, you might want to ask him if you should increase your water intake. Keep us posted.

mrmson is offline New Member
    I had the same thing! Here's the story, two years ago I started to give blood on a regular basis at the local Red Cross. About a week after the second time I went in I recieved a huge package from the Red Cross about my "elevated liver enzymes". I did some research into it and contacted my doctor. The short and skinny of it was that my training had caused my liver to go in to over-drive. The Dr. suggested that I cut down on some of my cardio (8 miles a day) and just concentrated on the lifting. He also said that it was not caused by any of the suppliments, just the body reacting to being over-trained. Hope this helps.

berry is offline Associate Member
    yoo before any test u should not train for at least 2 days ,training rises liver functions but it dosent mean this is harmed,and ask youre doctor more info,some doctors get scared just like a few points over heheh

Thanks guys, i appreciate the input! I've got the flu now so i can't get any tests done for a little while, but when i get some more results i'll let ya'll know! berry and mrmson, what you're sayin really makes sense, i'll talk to my doctor about it. My cardio is usually around 4-6 miles a day 6 days a week, and i didn't stop training before my test. Thanks for the input, and i'll keep you posted.

ripped_82 is offline Member
    This will ge your liver working like new again. Standardized Milk Thisltle from GNC. Take 2 a day on an empty stomach for 1 month.

Milk thistle extract may protect the cells of the liver by blocking the entrance of harmful toxins and helping remove these toxins from the liver cells.3 4 As with other bioflavonoids, silymarin is a powerful antioxidant.5 Silymarin has also been shown to regenerate injured liver cells.6 Recent studies have shown that silymarin has the ability to block fibrosis, a process that contributes to the eventual development of cirrhosis in people with inflammatory liver conditions secondary to diseases such as alcohol abuse or hepatitis.7

Milk thistle extract is most commonly recommended to counteract the harmful actions of alcohol on the liver. Double-blind trials indicate that it helps the liver return to a healthy state once a person stops drinking.8 9 Some trials suggest it may improve quality of life and even life expectancy in people with liver cirrhosis.10 11 However, another trial found no effect in cirrhosis patients.12 Milk thistle alters bile makeup, thereby potentially reducing risk of gallstones.13 However, this needs to be verified by human clinical trials. Milk thistle extract has been shown to protect the liver from the potentially damaging effect of drugs used to treat schizophrenia and other forms of psychosis.14 However, one trial found that it did not protect the liver from the potentially harmful effects of the drug Cognex (tacrine hydrochloride) used to treat early-stage Alzheimer’s disease. 15

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    What did the Doc say bro?

I've got an appointment next week (i'll be over the flu by then) for some blood tests and to talk about why my enzymes would be elevated. I'll post the results as soon as i get them

JoeBlow2000 is offline Banned

LFT's

Hello.

Elevated liver enzymes is a very non-specific finding. Unless you're on steroids or are a binge drinker I wouldn't worry about it.

I was running 30 miles a week and had the same "problem". It's ok to have your liver running in overdrive.

Joe

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Nix the Cyber-medicine

As you're obviously finding out, devgulp, you'll get a diverse variety of opinions here on the issue of elevated liver enzymes.

Remember that each person is an individual. Some may benefit from milk thistle, some may not. Some may have insignificant consequences from elevated ezymes, some may not. But without a full medical profile - including underlying conditions, other medications you may take, and a host of other factors - no one here is in a position to diagnose you or make any treatment recommendations.

You're already on the right track - touching base with your own physician, getting the proper lab work done, and getting an in-person evaluation.

If you haven't read the other threads that touch on this issue, I recommend being up front with your doctor about any supplements you are taking, as well as any AS you may have ever taken. Remember that what you tell the doctor will remain confidential, although for persons who use AS I recommend asking your physician not to note any AS use in your chart (in the event that the chart is subpoenaed in the future for any kind of court case).

Thread Information