Thread: Arginine

DJFactor is offline New Member

Arginine

I recently bought and started taking Arginine pills of 1000 mg a pill. When is the best time to take this? How much? And how often? Also, keep taking it on non-workout days? Good to take with protein shakes since it helps with the protein synthesis? --Sorry for all the questions, just want to know before I start wasting my $$ by not taking it right!

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    You can take it pretty much anytime, except for when you take Lysine since they compete for absorbtion. Yes, take it on non-workout days but becareful not to take too much as it has potential side effects when over used

DJFactor is offline New Member
    cool, thanks man. i dont think i will go over 4000mg a day, since i took 6000 mg the 1st day on it and needless to say my stomach was a mess that night. i have been taking 2000mg mid-day before lunch, then another 2000 mg post workout around 6-7 PM. that NO2 stuff says to take 6000 mg (which is the same thing i heard), take 3000 mg morning then another 3000 mg before lunch. i dont think my stomach could handle that. what about taking glutamine with it? maybe not at the same time, but in the same day? would that benefit? i drink 2 protein shakes a day as well. always looking to gain.

You can sup glutamine at the same time if you want, but you really only want to use glutamine in a cutting phase. It's used for the preservation of muscle mass and the supplying of an alternate energy source in glucose deprivated conditions (diets and such) . You can get plenty from food otherwise.

diesel21 is offline Member
    what are these potential side effects for arginine?

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel21
    I wondered the same thing. I know plenty of people who take 6-8 grams per day. The only thing I have ever heard of is the possibility of "the runs" for some people, which is true of just about everything.

Skin thickening and coarsening, weakness, diarrhea, nausea and loss of immunity to viruses. In sensitive individuals it may activate herpes simplex virus, type 2 which is stored in your spinal cord ganglia (and which 90% of the American populace has by age 50), and can cause lip cold sores.

Nerver had any problems myself.

bigordie is offline Member
    i took it at high doeses and never had any of those effects, but that is very interesting

There's a hell of a lot more reasons to take than reasons to not take it.

statuZ is offline Banned
    what are the benefits of high doses of arginine?

Quote Originally Posted by statuZ
    what are the benefits of high doses of arginine?
    dunno if there is any to "high doses"...define high

statuZ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    dunno if there is any to "high doses"...define high
    2-6 g's? What are the benefits of it?

Mainly vascularity and vein dialation which helps in nutrient transport and the treatment of sexual impairment. Also helps with high levels of cholesterol. I'm sure there's others

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    From DSEA website -

Arginine’s primary function involves the metabolism of protein and nitrogen,(1) as well as the production of a number of important compounds. It also plays a role in maintaining health of the circulatory system.
    Arginine has a number of clinical applications. Studies suggest that high doses of arginine can reduce LDL, the so-called "bad" cholesterol.(2) Arginine may play a role in enhancing the production of hormones that stimulate growth and development.(3, 4) Related studies suggest that arginine may increase lean muscle mass and total strength.(5) It may also increase the mobility of sperm and help counteract male infertility.(6) Arginine may also accelerate wound healing.(7, 8, 9)

Arginine seems to enhance the immune system in children with recurrent infections. A placebo-controlled trial was conducted in children ranging in age from 2 to 13 years old who suffered from recurrent infections. Fifteen of 20 children treated with arginine remained infection-free whereas only 5 of 20 placebo-treated children remained free of infections.(10)

A trial involving thirty-six stable outpatients with coronary artery disease and class II or III angina was designed to determine if supplementation with L-arginine may benefit the patients. L-arginine enriched medical food bars or placebo bars were consumed two times a day for two weeks. The arginine rich medical food used with traditional medical therapy improved blood vessel dilation, treadmill exercise time, and scores measuring quality-of-life.(11) Patients with stable congestive heart failure when supplemented with L-arginine seemed to be able to exercise for a longer time.(12)

Dosage Range Most Common Dosage Dosage Forms
    From 500mg – 6 grams daily. 3 grams, 2 times daily. Capsules, tablets, and powder.

If you have kidney disease, liver disease,(13) or herpes talk to your doctor before taking this dietary supplement.

1 Arias A, Garcia-Villoria J, Ribes A. Guanidinoacetate and creatine/creatinine levels in controls and patients with urea cycle defects. Mol Genet Metab. Jul2004;82(3):220-3.

2 Hurson M, et al. Metabolic Effects of Arginine in a Healthy Elderly Population. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. May1995;19(3):227-30.

3 Ghigo E, et al. Arginine Abolishes the Inhibitory Effect of Glucose on the Growth Hormone Response to Growth Hormone-releasing Hormone in Man. Metabolism. Sep1992;41(9):1000-03.

4 Coiro V, Volpi R, Capretti L, et al. Inhibition of Growth Hormone Secretion in Mild Primary Hyperparathyroidism. Horm Res. Jul2004;62(2):88-91.

5 Elam RP, et al. Effects of Arginine and Ornithine on Strength, Lean Body Mass and Urinary Hydroxyproline in Adult Males. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. Mar1989;29(1):52-56.

6 Scibona M, et al. L-arginine and Male Infertility. Minerva Urol Nefrol. Dec1994;46(4):251-53.

7 Barbul A, et al. Arginine Enhances Wound Healing and Lymphocyte Immune Responses in Humans. Surgery. Aug1990;108(2):331-36.

8 Williams JZ. Nutrition and wound healing. Surg Clin North Am. 2003 Jun;83(3):571-96.

9 De Luis DA, Izaola O, Cuellar L, Terroba MC, Aller R. Randomized clinical trial with an enteral arginine-enhanced formula in early postsurgical head and neck cancer patients. Eur J Clin Nutr. May2004.

10 Baligan M, Giardina A, Giovannini G, et al. L-arginine and immunity. Study of pediatric subjects. Minerva Pediatr. Nov1997;49(11):537-42.

11 Maxwell AJ, Zapien MP, Pearce GL, MacCallum G, Stone PH. Randomized trial of a medical food for the dietary management of chronic, stable angina. J Am Coll Cardiol. Jan2002;39(1):37-45.

12 Bednarz B, Jaxa-Chamiec T, Gebalska J, Herbaczynska-Cedro K, Ceremuzynski L. L-arginine supplementation prolongs duration of exercise in congestive heart failure. Kardiol Pol. Apr2004;60(4):348-53.

13 Saibara T, et al. Effects of ethanol on L-arginine transport in rat Ito cells in relation to nitric oxide production. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. Jun2001;25(6 Suppl):39S-45S.

14 Langkamp-Henken B, et al. Arginine supplementation is well tolerated but does not enhance mitogen-induced lymphocyte proliferation in elderly nursing home residents with pressure ulcers. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. Sep2000;24(5):280-7.

cool info, it def worked for me... better pumps, vascularity... i was shocked that it worked...

do u guys think that argine will make you hold water?

statuZ is offline Banned
    do u guys think that argine will make you hold water?
    **** is the BOMB BOMBOBMOBMOBMOBMBMB

metallicafan4u69 is offline Junior Member
    Arginine is some good stuff. But noone really answered the one question that I seen. I didnt read the book the one wrote and no way in hell I will. I use it all the time. The best time to take it is at night on an empty stomache when you go to bed. It helps with muscle rebuilding but it also helps increase growth hormones. Taken during the day it helps with vascularity, pumps, and it does retain some water. Arginine is one of three aminos in creatine. If you use it drink plenty of water. I didnt at first and after a couple of months my kidneys started to hurt. Drank water and was back on track. I do 2g in the morning and 3g at night.

Thread Information