Terinox is offline The One & Only

What's Wrong With My Shinz???

Okay, a few months ago, when I started walking from one univesity building to another (a 5 minute walk) my left shin really started to hurt. It was weird. It was a sharp stinging pain everytime I put my foot down. Soon I realized that it was mainly when I was on my heel. If I stood on my toes, it was okay, but the second I would put more of my body wait on the shins, it was really hurting (imagine standing straight, lifting your toes up, so that you are only standing on your heel). So I got worried and didn't know what was wrong. I guessed it was maybe Calcium difficiency or the fact that I would sometimes do legs, then stop, and not do them for a while, and was thinking it might be some sort of atrophy and the leg muscles got suddenly weaker???

Soon I kinda just forgot about it, and it actually kinda went away for a while. Another thing to mention is that it would usually just happen in the morning, when walking from one building to another. The rest of the day, walking from class to class, walking up stairs, or even walking to the parking lot after school, my shin seemed fine. But either way, it stopped for a while, probably a month or so.

Now, just recently (one week) BOTH my shins have started to hurt once again. Now I don't know why this is. I was wondering if anyone has felt this type of pain and/or knows what is causing it. It comes and goes, that's the thing. The only thing I can guess is calcuim defficiency or leg atrophy (if there even is such a thing). I don't drink as much milk as I used to, but if it's a calcium difficiency, then why would it only be my shins that hurt?? More bones should hurt...right???

Hope you can help.

Thnx
    Terinox

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I think it is just the impact of the ground.....I doubt it is a calcium deficiency......

Txlonghorns is offline New Member
    Anterior shin pain almost always due to the anterior tibialis. Sounds like you have this pain in the morning and then once you walked on it for a period of time, the anterior tibialis muscle is allowed to stretch and the pain subsides. You may also have a tight posterior tibialis muscle. If you can get to your posterior tibialis ( it is located beneath your gastroc) you may want to try and strip out that muscle as well. These two muscles can cause alot of nerve entrapments that can result in shin pain. The other possible problem would be with the fascia covering the muscles.

I would not worry about a calcium defeciency problem, as it would take a prolonged period of time, and if you are eating even moderatly healthy you are probably getting sufficient calcium intake. Think more muscular and nerve. If you are having shooting pains then it is most definatly a nerve entrapment problem.....Are you having any loss of sensation, pain or temperature loss in the regions? Let me know....I have seen cases similar to this in the past.

Thnx for the info but...

That first paragraph you wrote, I completely didn't understand it. I have no idea where that muscle is located, nor do I even know where the gastroc is. And what did you mean by strip those muscles??? How do you strip a muscle???

Your probably right about the calcium, I also doubt that would be the case. And yes, it is a sharp shooting pain. The feeling is all along the shine, and it's the kind of pain you get as if someone was sticking a needle inside my shin. I dont' really think I lose any sensation in the area, I mean if I were to touch my leg I could still feel it. And how would I measure the temperature on my legs and shins???

Thnx
    Terinox

Ok.......your gastrocnemius is your calf muscle, actually its what gives your calf the horse shoe shape. Directly under that muscle is your posterior tibialis muscle. Your anterior tibialis muscle is located on the front of your leg. Find your "shin" and the muscle you feel immediatly to the outside of your "shin" but still on the front of your leg is the anterior Tibialis..

What im referring to about temp. and pain sensations is, can you tell the difference between a hot object and cold object just by placing it on your shin? if you have a friend poke you with a needle (gently..we arent injecting anything) do you feel the pain sensation? If either of these prove to be a problem let me know.

To strip a muscle...best thing to do is have a massage therapist or a Chiropractor do it, but you can have a friend you trust do it also...What they would have to do is place their thumb or any smooth round object the size of your thumb, on that muscle by your shin. You point your toes down and have them contact that muscle on your shin as hard as possible...while they are contacting it slowly move your foot from pointing your toes down to pointing your toes up...have them move down they muslce and continue to do this. this will help break up any adhesions in the fascia surrounding the muscle and thus freeing any nerve entrapment sites...If you need a better idea of what muscles im talking about get a Greys Anatomy book, or anatomy book.

Also, do you jog on concrete? This can cause that type of shin pain.

Hay man, thnx a lot. You went into some damn good detail and I really appreciate than dude.

Since the pain hasn't happened for a few days, I will wait and test the cold/warm thing with the shin area, as well as poking it with a sharp object. If there is no pain, then basically it means that all should be okay? And I will also try the "strip" method and see if that helps. And those sites were great and very helpful. Thanks again.

Terinox

drop dead fred is offline New Member

shin splints

Hey bro;
    Looks like you've already got some real good advice, but I wanted to throw on my two cents worth because your problem reminds that I had the same problem. When I was in the Marines we either ran or walked everywhere we went, usually with a pack, not to mention a mind numbing exercise routine all day every day. I started to have the same burning pain in my shins that you describe. The medics called it "shin splints", and gave me some insoles for my boots. All the insoles did was raise my heel about half an inch and support my arch more.... and the pain was gone in days. I'm by no means an expert, but maybe give this a try before you spend a lot of money on something else. the green ones by Dr. Scholl's are the ones that worked for me. Just my Opinion.

DDF

Hay thanks for that too man. That's a good idea. I can give that a shot, since it's quite easy to do, and see what happens. I'll keep you informed on if my shinz and what happens to them.

Thnx
    Terinox

ravaz is offline Associate Member
    Bro were you on cycle? When I did my last cycle, it hurt when I walked, but if I threw my ice skates on for a game, man, 3 minutes later I was laying on the floor crying and screaming, I noticed this was just on my cycle, because I have been playing hockey for over 15 years, and it only hurt then, not I am fine. Just a thought.

Oh no no, I'm natural right now. That's the weird part you see, because i'm only 19 yrs old, so I hope it's not a major problem. Still working on it, will keep ya'll posted.

Terinox

Ironweb is offline Member

Ditto

It very well could be shin splints. I had them and sounds very familiar. Do you do any kind of jogging on the cement or paving? That will give it to ya I know. Try packing your shins with an ice pack 20-30 minutes each and see if that helps. There is no cure for it only iceing down your shins and time. Also as drop dead fred (funny movie by the way) said get some inserts for you soles that will help.

the shin splints deals with the tibialis anterior. To put it in laymens turns, shin splints is the bowing of your anterior tibialis away from your shin. This causes increased force on the origin and insertion points of the muscle. This results in that pain you feel in the front of your shin.

The insoles are a great idea. By all means if you can pick up a pair of Dr.Scholles for $10 that would be the way to go. If that does not work for you then you may want to go to a doctor.

Spook is offline New Member
    You've got shin splints. the fastest cure is taping you feet to add arch support. Now most people don't have trainers and this is not realistic. So pickup some insoles like everyone is saying. The best for this are "super feet" You can find them in most running shoe stores. I've used them in my running boots for about two years. They are bout $30 but well worth it, get used them, don't give up they may be uncomfortable for a while.
    They help by adding arch support as with taping, this prohibits the tibialis from stretching away from the tibia, and inflaming, causing pain. To promote full recovery, hang your legs and lift your toes toward your knee, this will help strengthen. For instant relief, freeze water in paper cups and peel the paper back, massage your shins for 20 minutes each moving the ice constantly. You may also pick up some anti inflamatory drugs, like motrin or advil.
    good luck, and they will eventually subside.

Is it possible that this is happened just fromt he shoes I wear? They are a pair of nike basketball shoes (although i don't play basketball) and i've had them for probably 2 years now. Is it possible it's worn out and is causing the pain? What types of shoes are good everyday life + cardio on the side? I mean is there a specific type of shoe some of u have used that are really good ? and very comfortabl?

thnx
    Terinox

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    It could be your shoes, and inserts are a good idea, but honestly I wouldn't be worried about it at all. My guess would be that your tendons are just not used to the work your putting them through.
    My advise, if you want to get rid of them, run a 1/2 mile or mile a few times a week. Running is a high impact exercise, and will make your tendons stronger. If while your running, the shin splints appear, just slow down to a walk, if it still hurts, stop and stretch them out. After a few weeks they will be gone, but don't stop running, you want your tendons to get stronger, and tendon growth takes a looong time.
    If your trying to gain weight, running isn't the best thing for you, so don't go balls out, you don't want to screw up your workout in the gym.
    One last thing, try to run outside or if its cold, go on the treadmill and put the thing on a 3 to 5% incline, it don't seem like that would make much of a difference, but it really does, it will put more stress on your body, and your shins. Running on a 0% incline on a treadmill is not really that great. I don't know how bad your case is though, you might want to start out on treadmill at a 0% incline if the splints are real bad, and work your way up.

Nothing to be alarmed about, I used to get stitches real bad. My folks told me I probably had a little ashma (what a crock of sh**). I started running, and now i have to sprint for several minutes to get them.

bronzebeefcake is offline Associate Member
    I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE INSOLE REMIDY....I HAD SHIN SPLINTS B4 AND IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY SHOE....

"SPREAD A LITTLE ALOHA AROUND THE WORLD"

Great man, thnx a lot!

Here is just a little fyI and you can take it for what its worth....Nike and Adidas are the worst shoes you can buy for support. My orthopedic group treats many college and pro athletes and Ill tell you what we tell them...save yourself $150 on those shiny new black Jordans, and get your self a pair of New Balance. The New Balance are not as flashy but they are the best support you can buy without adding insoles.

If you want further proof, a certain Houston Rocket had plantar fascitis which we treated for 3 weeks. If you catch the next rockets game get a close look at his shoes.

I bought insoles for my shoes, they are Dr. Scholes "All Purpose" insoles, BUT my shins still hurt when I'm walking for a while, especially outside. I'm guessing it must be my shoes. This never happened to me in highschool, but then again, I barely walk anymore these days? Is that possible? My shins hurt because they aren't used to the walking? I'm always either at home, driving, sitting in class, or working out.

SOMEONE PLZ HELP!!!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I agree with Txlonghorns about New Balance shoes. Nothing (and I mean nothing) comes close to the support that New Balance provides.

So I should just go buy those? Where could I get them? Some place like SportCheck or FootLocker? Are there places that sell it cheaper like Walmart/Zellers? You must know somewhere in Toronto

Try the major chain stores like Champs, Athletes World, Footlockers, etc. Its a specialty product (used mostly by long distance runners) so the discount stores probably won't carry them.

Is that the name of the company? It's actually called "New Balance" or is that the type of shoe that companies like Nike and Reebok make?

Thats the brand. www.newbalance.com

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Hey Ter, have you been doin alot of runnin? You could've had shins splits a mild case..

Tex
    Tex is offline Junior Member
    new balance shoes are very wide, if you have a narrow foot these won't work. shin splints is what it sounds like. good info has been given, time is the only true healer.

New Balance makes narrow shoes too. You can choose the width.

Tex
    Tex is offline Junior Member
    my foot is b width and i've never been able to find a NB shoe that would fit right.

mc_ake is offline Banned
    sounds like shin splints, same prob bro.....

Well that's the thing, I don't do ANY running. When I walk from the parking lot to the North Building of my Univ. which is a 6 minute walk, it starts to hurt half way. And sometimes it becomes unbarable. It's the shins, right at the bone, feels like they are being crunched or something.

The insoles did shit all, because the other day I was walking back from the South Building to the parking lot, which is only like a 2 minute walk (not even) and they started hurting again real bad! So I'm guessing if I get new shoes it will hopefully help, BUT IF IT DOESN'T then I'm FUCKED!!!

Should go to the doctor asap!

Thread Information