tubbytank is offline Associate Member

Supplement questions

IS there such a thing as too much zinc or chromium?

I saw the Ronnie Coleman Video 'The cost of redemption', and noticed his little plastic med tray filled with supps.

Since then of course i had to get my own haha. However I have haeard there is such as thing as too much zinc or chromium? Is that turee. And that too much wil lactually make you lose muscle (presumably make you ctabolic).

Any truth in this???? If so what are the dosages.

I take:

Omega 3-6-9 capsule
    Vitamin E
    Multivitamin-mineral
    Chromium
    Zinc
    Magnesium
    Vitamin C

Am I missing anything???

Also I have heard that you should take a protein shake (pure whey for instant delivery) and dextrose just prior to training to get an insulin spike and stop the muscles from breaking down while you workout, as well as just after your workout. Any truth in that?????

bump

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Those supplements are most likely milk thistle, nac, and oral AAS. (i.e. drol, dbol , winstrol )

birsling is offline Member
    I personally have never heard of taking a pre-workout shake, as well as a post-workout. I stick by the rule of intaking a little extra cals as well as a little extra protein in the meal I eat prior to my lifts (I usually eat 1/1.5 hours prior to lifting), and then follow the lift with a PWO Shake (about 50g protein, 80-100g Dex) 10 mins after lifting. Hope that helps

nsa
    For a pre-workout shake you should use micellar casein protein and maltodextrin. You don't want something that digests fast, you want something slow digesting to drip feed your body protein during your workout.

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    For a pre-workout shake you should use micellar casein protein and maltodextrin. You don't want something that digests fast, you want something slow digesting to drip feed your body protein during your workout.

Hmmm now not sure what to think. Went to my supplement store this morning and got some whey isolate for the pre-workout, so it uptakes fast and is ready to use. That's what they recommended. Hmmm. Dilemmas dilemmas.....

nsa
    Protein is not like carbs. You don't need protein available to burn for fuel, you only need enough to keep from going catabolic. BTW, you don't build muscle when you workout, you build muscle when you sleep. Body is in recovery and builds muscle to adapt to the progressive weight training.

i realise you build muscle after, but apparently without that bit of protein before the workout you risk losing muscle as you work out.

S R H is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubbytank
    i realise you build muscle after, but apparently without that bit of protein before the workout you risk losing muscle as you work out.
    haha says who? Id like to see research studys that have proven this. Not a Dr. Tubbytank theory. k Thx

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubbytank
    As long as you are eating every 2.5 hrs, you'll be fine. Don't stress. You better be taking that Whey+Dextrose shake afterwards, though.

There have been SOME studies that show liquid amino supps. before WO improve protein synthesis afterwards... But it was pretty limited.

Thread Information