Thread: Hmb

jgg1221 is offline Member

Hmb

supplement claims that it slows down protein reduction to increase muscle growth

anybody had any success with it?

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    Its a scam, a worthless supplement.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    Its a scam, a worthless supplement.
    Not a worthless supplement at all, i for one am an HMB advocate and i know of a few medical studies into this compound. Most of which are double-blind studies, that support beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate is good for those who have difficulty staying in an anabolic state due to exercise heavy daily activity, i.e. serious athletes.

HMB plays a role in the synthesis of muscle tissue. It has the ability to burn fat and build muscle consistently in response to exercise. Backed heavily by science, HMB works for NFL greats like Shannon Sharpe and Olympic medallists throughout the globe. New scientific studies are being conducted on this supplement all the time.

One study showed in a control group supplementing with HMB, that after taking 3 grams of HMB per day for three weeks, those who took HMB versus the random placebo takers gained three times more muscle on their bench press. Animal studies also suggest that it may increase lean muscle mass. Although i don't depend on animal studies for info, two humans don't react the same to chemical compounds(so its not likely that a diffferent species will react the same as a human subject would, but it gives some insight to the physiological effects on living organisms similar to humans.)

A study conducted on humans showed that those who supplemented with HMB experienced enhanced strength, greater endurance, and increased fat loss. It’s ability to boost endurance alone is an incredible result.
    A seven week long study showed a much greater gain in muscle when a group of 28 participated in a regular weight-training program.

Keep in mind that HMB is a metabolite of leucine, one of the body’s essential amino acids.(BCAAs) HMB appears to increase the rate of protein being used to increase muscle growth, while decreasing the atrophy or tear down of muscle that occurs, i.e. catabolism.

jgg1221 is offline Member
    could you send me a link on those studies

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by jgg1221
    could you send me a link on those studies
    They are from journals and various websites have them in discussions of HMB. Do a search of studies into HMB and its effects on catabolism/anabolism.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    If using HMB then you need to buy in bulk for proper dosing and avoid the negative cost/efficienty ratio.

1Fast400 has some in bulk for a good price make sure to get at least 3 grams daily.

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    IMO, you should save your money for protien and food.

nsa
    I agree with Bryan, bulk powder is the way to go with pretty much everything, when it comes to cost effectiveness.

I also agree with bulldawg that protein and food come first, but HMB helps your body use that protein (primarily leucine) for building muscle instead of just wasting that protein. So it short it helps you maintain an anabolic state rather than turn to catabolism.

Thread Information