Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member

Ephedrine question....

Hey everyone! Does anyone know where I can get some facts or articles about ephedra/ephedrine in regards to how it's not as dangerous as we're led to believe? My sister flipped out on me the other day when she found out that I still take it and doesn't believe me that it's not dangerous if taken properly. I'm just looking for some facts to back up my point of view. She's one of the many that believe it's completely bad because the media says so. I just wanted to help educate her a little bit...can anyone help???

Thanks in advance....

Neo
    bump

Neo
    Just to answer my own question in case someone else was curious or looking for the same thing.....someone sent me this article.....

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993 Feb;17 Suppl 1:S69-72. Related Articles, Links

Safety and efficacy of long-term treatment with ephedrine, caffeine and an ephedrine/caffeine mixture.

Toubro S, Astrup AV, Breum L, Quaade F.

Research Department of Human Nutrition, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Fredriksberg, Copenhagen, Denmark.

In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double blind study, 180 obese patients were treated by diet (4.2 MJ/day) and either an ephedrine/caffeine combination (20mg/200mg), ephedrine (20mg), caffeine (200mg) or placebo 3 times a day for 24 weeks. 141 patients completed this part of the study. All medication was stopped between week 24-26 in order to catch any withdrawal symptoms. From week 26 to 50, 99 patients completed treatment with the ephedrine/caffeine compound in an open trial design, resulting in a statistically significant (p = 0.02) weight loss of 1.1kg. In another randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled 8 week study on obese subjects we found the mentioned compound showed lean body mass conserving properties. We conclude that the ephedrine/caffeine combination is effective in improving and maintaining weight loss, further it has lean body mass saving properties. The side effects are minor and transient and no withdrawal symptoms have been found.

Thread Information