Thread: Zinc Questions

NightOp is offline Member

Zinc Questions

Ok, im about to start some zinc supplementation, and like everything i do, i research the crap out of it in order to get the best results with safety and money saving aspects at the forefront....

i read the following on zinc>

"Zinc is a component of more than 300 enzymes needed to repair wounds, maintain fertility in adults and growth in children, synthesize protein, help cells reproduce, preserve vision, boost immunity, and protect against free radicals, among other functions. Lozenges containing zinc gluconate, zinc gluconate-glycine, or zinc acetate have been effective, whereas most other forms of zinc and lozenges flavored with citric acid,5 tartaric acid, sorbitol, or mannitol, have been ineffective.6 Trials using forms other than zinc gluconate, zinc gluconate-glycine, or zinc acetate have failed, as have trials that use insufficient amounts of zinc.7 Therefore, until more is known, people should only use zinc gluconate, zinc gluconate-glycine, or zinc acetate. Doses range from 15-50mg per day. "

now... most zinc and ZMA supplements have "Zinc (as monomethionine/aspartate)" so according to the above article, this stuff is not the ideal form of zinc... does anyone know anything else about this? should we all just forget wasting money on ZMA from EAS or TwinLabs and just buy walmart zinc lozenges?

when is the best time to take it, for max absorbtion and utilization? w/meals? time of day?

also> does anyone know the potential side effects of too much zinc?

any help will be appreciate, im looking around the net for medical articles, and will post if i find anything contrary to what is replied.. i think this might end up as a good source of info for everyone

Socio is offline Associate Member
    Best time is after your largest meal , same as when u should take any vits or minerals.
    I use a liquid in the form of sulphate ... citrate is also one of the best absorbed forms of zinc , dont stop ur research at ONE study on the net , go into health stores and chat to natropaths.

NightOp is offline Member
    okay thanks how do these look>?http://www.gnc.com/productDetails.asp?id=169821

they are not the citrate form, but do you think that is ok? I plan on taking one in the morning and one in the evening, and yes I will take them after a meal, however I have been told that copper, calcium, zinc, and other trace elements compete with each other when taken together, so I will not be taking any vitamins when I take the zinc, nor will i be taking any milk, rather most of my calcium and vitamins are taken after my first lunch (bout noon usually)

ok update> did alot more research and found that zinc supplementation can be very dangerous because it reduces the body's ability to absorb and utilize copper which is very necessary for liver function and liver health (VERY important to BBs) as well as lower calcium levels and can indirectly greatly reduce bone density due to lowering aromatase therefore lowering estrogen.

My main purpose in zinc supplementation is to keep my test to estrogen levels in check (im all natural and not talkin about while on juice), however I hate to do this while compromising my liver and skeletal health... now im thinking of just taking one 20mg lozenge each night rather than 2 a day... also bran cereals and most plant foods contain an enzyme which will render zinc useless when taken with zinc, so it is best to take a lozenge on an empty stomach or after a prebedtime shake
    Last edited by NightOp; 03-19-2002 at 10:35 AM.

Thread Information