Josey Wales is offline Associate Member

Making Transderm From Caps

I want to empty out some caps to make a transdermal application of a particular substance. (Better bioavailability) However, the caps contain fillers and extenders, such as magnesium sterate and maltodextrin. I don't know the ratios of the base powder to the fillers or to each other.

Should I simply dump the caps into some Pentrate or Transport Matrix? Or would the fillers significantly affect the integrity of the transdermal solution? If so, any idea how to filter out the fillers?

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    I dont think there is a way to do it. If you really want to do I guess it could work but find out the molecular weight of the fillers. A substance to work has to be around 300 to penetrate the skin.

Whitey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales
    I want to empty out some caps to make a transdermal application of a particular substance. (Better bioavailability) However, the caps contain fillers and extenders, such as magnesium sterate and maltodextrin. I don't know the ratios of the base powder to the fillers or to each other.

Should I simply dump the caps into some Pentrate or Transport Matrix? Or would the fillers significantly affect the integrity of the transdermal solution? If so, any idea how to filter out the fillers?
    A couple reasons not to try what you're asking:
    1. If you did figure out a method of removing the fillers, it would probably involve using a toxic chemical to dissolve the hormone (without damaging it), while leaving the fillers. But I would think these fillers would probably be more soluble than the hormone, so you would be hard pressed to find a way to do this.

2. Even if you did, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

3. If you didn't remove the fillers, a transport matrix can only dissolve a certain amount of powder - say 1.5g per oz. That would not leave you with a favorable concentration of hormone for an effective dose.

4. Even if you did it, you would possibly be introducing some fillers directly into your bloodstream, which just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Hope that helps.

Josey Wales is offline Associate Member
    Thanks to all of you guys. Once again this board saved my lab rat's tail.

Whitey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales
    Thanks to all of you guys. Once again this board saved my lab rat's tail.
    No problem, bro. I can def. see why you'd want to do this, now that you won't be able to acquire hormone powders anymore. Good luck, man.

Thread Information