Thread: Weightgainers

Essy is offline Associate Member

Weightgainers

I had a hook up for up your mass at a low price. He can not get it for me anymore but said he can get me anything else. What is some other weight gainers that have clean carbs and fat in them. Do exist, thanks?

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    My fav is prolab N-Large II

Doesnt N-large have a lot of sugar? I am looking for a weight gainer that has carbs and fats but no or little sat. fat and sugar. Thanks

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    Prolab N-Large II

Amount Per Serving:

Calories: 600
    Calories from Fat: 55
    Total Fat: 6 g
    Saturated Fat: 4 g
    Cholesterol: 100 mg
    Sodium: 150mg
    Total Carbohydrates: 86 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2 g
    Sugars: 28 g
    Protein: 52 g
    Calcium: 400mg
    Iron: 2mg

Amino Acid Profile:
    L-Alanine: 2.48g
    L-Arginine: 1.20g
    L-Aspartic Acid: 5.40g
    L-Cystine: 0.60g
    L-Glutamic Acid: 9.24g
    L-Glycine: 1.12g
    L-Histidine: 0.88g
    L-Isoleucine: 3.28g
    L-Leucine: 5.40g
    L-Lysine: 4.72g
    L-Methionine: 0.92g
    L-Phenylalanine: 1.64g
    L-Proline: 3.24g
    L-Serine: 2.68g
    L-Threonine: 3.24g
    L-Trypotophan: 1.08g
    L-Tyrosine: 1.28g
    L-Valine: 3.04g

Ingredients:
    Whey Protein Concentrate, Maltodextrin, Fructose, Cocoa Powder (Dutch Process), Natural & Artificial Flavors and Lecithin.

YellowJacket is offline Junior Member
    All commercial weight gainers are highly overrated. Most are packed with maltodextrin and dextrose, making the 'weight' you gain fat. Make your own weight gainer, for a relatively inexpensive price...

15oz milk or water
    1/3 cup oats
    2 scoops whey powder
    2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
    1 tablespoon flax or fish oil

Blend and its actually very good. The fats are healthy omega fats and the carbs are complex.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowJacket
    All commercial weight gainers are highly overrated. Most are packed with maltodextrin and dextrose, making the 'weight' you gain fat. Make your own weight gainer, for a relatively inexpensive price...

15oz milk or water
    1/3 cup oats
    2 scoops whey powder

Blend and its actually very good. The fats are healthy omega fats and the carbs are complex.

Actually when i was 'bulking' i found a gainer i was really satisfied with it's Up Your Mass by mhp ?? i think...it mixes carbs/fats but i didnt care much i was bulking...but its made w/ log gi carbs and efa's expensive but a quality product IMO

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    cyto-gainer is good stuff

Has anyone tried MassTech?

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion

15oz milk or water
    1/3 cup oats
    2 scoops whey powder

very true yellowjacket, they have so much sugars in them

great homemade gainer

Whitey is offline Anabolic Member
    Don't take this the wrong way, bro, but if you're looking to bulk up by combining fats and carbs in the same meal - why don't you just eat double cheeseburgers at McDonalds? They're cheaper and much tastier, IMO. If you don't understand this, go to the diet forum and read the stickies. You will notice that the sample diets are built around the principle of separating carbs and fats. Good luck, bro.

I will qualify my last post by saying that flax seed oil is certainly better for your cardiovascular health than the saturated fats in a McDonalds cheeseburger. But from a macronutrient perspective, they are just about the same.

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Make your own weightgainer. Mix 50 grams of protien with 100 grams of malto/dex. BTW, most weightgainers are nothing but a tub of sugar anyway. By making your own you will be able to avoid combining fats and carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg_28
    Make your own weightgainer. Mix 50 grams of protien with 100 grams of malto/dex. BTW, most weightgainers are nothing but a tub of sugar anyway. By making your own you will be able to avoid combining fats and carbs.

?

100g of malto? ****.

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Yep, 100grams of maltodextrin and 50 grams of protien will give you 600 calories, and very little fats.

Entirely too much. That defeats the purpose of buying a commercial gainer. If youre going to make your own, make a quality gainer, not a sugar shake.

Maltodextrin is not sugar, though.

swoll4589 is offline Member
    i would much rather have regular whey protein that doesnt fill me up and get the same amount of protein and take it with a meal.

Machin3 is offline Associate Member
    Cyto Gainer by Cytosport same company that makes muscle milk

GetPumped is offline Senior Member
    I would have to go with cytogainer too. On it right now in between cycles with some creatine and I haven't gained much fat if any nor did I get bloated either. Very good stuff for weight gainers INO. It also has a low amount of sugars if I remember right.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Machin3
    Cyto Gainer by Cytosport same company that makes muscle milk

I tried that stuff before, it definitly made me fat and full all the time.
    I think ON makes a good one too.

I think weight gainers suck unless you are like mega huge (over 275lbs lean) or like an ultra endurance athlete where you need to intake like 10,000 calories so your body doesnt deteriorate.

I think that good old natural food is much better any time.
    I never had a problem gaining weight.
    My friends call me "Big Bear" and "the human food disposal", or the "bottomless pit".

I truly belive that natural food is the way to go, along with a protien shake here and there and some multi vitamins.

If you have a problem with apetite, just take some injectable b12. That stuff is great and cheap, or learn to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    Maltodextrin is not sugar, though.
    Ha, oh its not? Dont let its placement on the GI scale fool you, its still sugar.

Ha, oh its not? Dont let its placement on the GI scale fool you, its still sugar.
    I see your point, bro. You could say that Maltodextrin is a sugar in the sense that all starches consist of sugar. It is not a sugar molecule, though - it is composed of sugar molecules - see the difference? The key is the complexity of the molecules. Maltodextrin falls into the category of a starch. It is a highly processed starch composed of dextrose (glucose), and is higher on the GI scale than many of the other complex carbohydrates.

Maltodextrin is an easily digestible blend of complex carbohydrates from corn starch. Maltodextrin contains "glucose polymers", linked sugar compounds that are easy for the body to assimilate and use. Glucose polymers are metabolized as a slow, steady rate that can help to sustain energy levels during endurance-oriented workouts and/or athletic events and support weight gain.

Maltodextrin refers to dextrose polymers of varying lengths. Unlike dextrose, maltodextrin is not very sweet. Although technically a complex carbohydrate, maltodextrin results in a glycemic response similar to that of dextrose. Dextrose is less expensive, sweeter, and mixes more easily. Maltodextrin is partially hydrolyzed starch that is not sweet and has a Dextrose Equivalent (DE) value less than 20.

Here's a link for more education on carbohydrates: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fit...ohydrates.html

Right, good post, but its still sugar and still not what you want in a gainer.

That's the spirit!

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    Actually when i was 'bulking' i found a gainer i was really satisfied with it's Up Your Mass by mhp ?? i think...it mixes carbs/fats but i didnt care much i was bulking...but its made w/ log gi carbs and efa's expensive but a quality product IMO
    for those that dont have the time to make their own, this is my recomendation.

For the record, I never made a recommendation for how to put together a "weightgainer." I merely shared some knowledge from our diet forum regarding the undesireability of combining fats and carbs in the same meal if one is looking to build lean mass. If you're just looking to put on weight and you don't care if it's fat, by all means, be my guest. Personally, I save those meals up once a week and eat something tasty.

Here's a link from a knowledgeable member on what he recommends for a "weightgainer": http://forums.steroid.com/showpost.p...&postcount=781

Agaonst comining carbs and fat? God...thats voodoo nutrition.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/for...ead.php?t=2350
    a post by mfornero
    What a lot of the food combining jedi seem to be missing is that fact that nutrient storage/utilization is not instantaneous.

When you consume a meal, fat does not instantly appear in your bloodstream, nor do carbs-- everything must be digested. Bear in mind also that varying amounts of fiber/fat/protein will greatly affect digestion time, and fat goes through a different pathway to reach the bloodstream than protein/carbs.

So if you were to eat oatmeal with peanut butter and MPI, for example, the fats in the peanut butter reaching the bloodstream would not necessarily coincide with the insulin release due to the protein/carbs.

Throughout the course of the day, fat is always being stored and released, and the ratio of carb:fat oxidation is never really absolute (especially on a mixed diet) So with only P+C/P+F, you swing the ratio in one direction for part of the day, the other for the rest of the day. With P+C+F, the ratio remains fairly constant throughout the day. But for the same given daily macronutrient breakdown, the total amounts oxidised are going to pretty much be the same.

The only real exception would be the workout time period, where you want to avoid fats due to the slowing of gastric emptying.

Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/for...ead.php?t=2350
    a post by mfornero
    What a lot of the food combining jedi seem to be missing is that fact that nutrient storage/utilization is not instantaneous.

When you consume a meal, fat does not instantly appear in your bloodstream, nor do carbs-- everything must be digested. Bear in mind also that varying amounts of fiber/fat/protein will greatly affect digestion time, and fat goes through a different pathway to reach the bloodstream than protein/carbs.

So if you were to eat oatmeal with peanut butter and MPI, for example, the fats in the peanut butter reaching the bloodstream would not necessarily coincide with the insulin release due to the protein/carbs.

Throughout the course of the day, fat is always being stored and released, and the ratio of carb:fat oxidation is never really absolute (especially on a mixed diet) So with only P+C/P+F, you swing the ratio in one direction for part of the day, the other for the rest of the day. With P+C+F, the ratio remains fairly constant throughout the day. But for the same given daily macronutrient breakdown, the total amounts oxidised are going to pretty much be the same.

The only real exception would be the workout time period, where you want to avoid fats due to the slowing of gastric emptying.
    Good post - it's always good to hear another opinion. Personally I will stick with the advice of SwoleCat and other knowledgeable guys in our diet forum whose opinions seem to me to be more educated and well-thought-out, but that's just one opinion, and what works for me may not work for everyone. Cheers!

Yes, his is an opinion, and he has a great body...but science is science. But,as you said, your free to do what you think is best for your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    Good post - it's always good to hear another opinion. Personally I will stick with the advice of SwoleCat and other knowledgeable guys in our diet forum whose opinions seem to me to be more educated and well-thought-out, but that's just one opinion, and what works for me may not work for everyone. Cheers!

How does he seem to be more educated? I must have missed somethign.....

Thread Information