Monkeytown is offline Senior Member

Glutamine supplementation

I've been reading a lot lately about l-glutamine and how many people are supplementing their diet with it. I eat pretty clean diet and drink 3-4 protein shakes a day. The protein shakes are Solid Muscle brand from ASN. The label says that the shake has 14g of glutamic acid. Is this the same as glutamine/l-glutamine? If I am taking 3-4 shakes per day that is between 42-56g per day in addition to diet. Is this enough supplementation or should I be getting more?

Thanks,
    MT

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    g;utamine supplementation is a waste of money, unless you have some intestinal issues. Its great for that. Most glutamine doesnt make it out of the stomach. All the studies showing it works are on burn patients or HIV patients, and it is infused via IV. Unless you can free base your glutamine and cook it up on a spoon, then I wouldnt waste my money. Just eat more protein.

BTW, dont try injecting glutamine.

Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum
    g;utamine supplementation is a waste of money, unless you have some intestinal issues. Its great for that. Most glutamine doesnt make it out of the stomach. All the studies showing it works are on burn patients or HIV patients, and it is infused via IV. Unless you can free base your glutamine and cook it up on a spoon, then I wouldnt waste my money. Just eat more protein.

Can I drink it? Like my winny?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown
    Can I drink it? Like my winny?
    a one-liner in honor of Johnny Carson eh?

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum

**** right. I spent about $30 on a tub of this junk before looking into it more. As far as I know, there are no studies suggesting it makes a significant difference and a number of them say it is useless.

I wish your viewpoint was more abudant on these boards. People preach glutamine like its some great savior, it works ok if your sick, but besides that, save money for some steak or something.

insanepump621 is offline Member
    Glutamic Acid
    Glutamic acid is one of the most common amino acids and can be found in abundance in all plants and animals. It is well known for its ability to help support mental function, as it is the primary food for our brain. Glutamic acid has shown to help thinking, mental alertness, boost intelligence, increase mood, and has powerful antioxidant properties that lock onto ammonia and remove it from our muscles and brain.

The daily amount of Glutamic acid should be between 500-2,000 mg and should be taken first thing in the morning without food.

Monosodium glutamine (MSG) is a salt form of Glutamic acid, so if you are sensitive to MSG you should avoid using Glutamic acid even though the two affect the body in very different ways

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in muscle tissue. The muscles in our body produce it. You can also find glutamine in many foods containing protein such as red meat, fish, and dairy products.

Glutamine has also been shown to:

• Improve Mental Focus
    • Stimulate Growth Hormone in our Bodies
    • Boost the Immune System
    • Prevent Muscles from going Catabolic

Glutamine is used primarily to avoid the muscle from going catabolic. This is where the body breaks down its own muscle tissue due to high stress or activity levels. Athletes use glutamine to help them increase lean muscle mass but most of all to help them maintain their muscle mass during intense training. Glutamine is a supplement that should be in the cabinet of any athlete who is serious about their training and goals.

The best way to use glutamine is to consume a total of 5-10 grams two times a day, preferable after your workout and before bed (3-5gms after workout and 3-5gms before bed). You may also increase the absorption of glutamine into the system by combining your glutamine with a drink containing simple sugars such as grape juice or orange juice. This will help transport the glutamine into the muscle cells for faster recovery. It is 2 different things bro read up and i recommend some l glutamine you will notice it from when u get there and stretch from when you wake up in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by insanepump621
    Glutamic Acid
    Glutamic acid is one of the most common amino acids and can be found in abundance in all plants and animals. It is well known for its ability to help support mental function, as it is the primary food for our brain. Glutamic acid has shown to help thinking, mental alertness, boost intelligence, increase mood, and has powerful antioxidant properties that lock onto ammonia and remove it from our muscles and brain.

The daily amount of Glutamic acid should be between 500-2,000 mg and should be taken first thing in the morning without food.

Monosodium glutamine (MSG) is a salt form of Glutamic acid, so if you are sensitive to MSG you should avoid using Glutamic acid even though the two affect the body in very different ways

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in muscle tissue. The muscles in our body produce it. You can also find glutamine in many foods containing protein such as red meat, fish, and dairy products.

Glutamine has also been shown to:

• Improve Mental Focus
    • Stimulate Growth Hormone in our Bodies
    • Boost the Immune System
    • Prevent Muscles from going Catabolic

Glutamine is used primarily to avoid the muscle from going catabolic. This is where the body breaks down its own muscle tissue due to high stress or activity levels. Athletes use glutamine to help them increase lean muscle mass but most of all to help them maintain their muscle mass during intense training. Glutamine is a supplement that should be in the cabinet of any athlete who is serious about their training and goals.

The best way to use glutamine is to consume a total of 5-10 grams two times a day, preferable after your workout and before bed (3-5gms after workout and 3-5gms before bed). You may also increase the absorption of glutamine into the system by combining your glutamine with a drink containing simple sugars such as grape juice or orange juice. This will help transport the glutamine into the muscle cells for faster recovery. It is 2 different things bro read up and i recommend some l glutamine you will notice it from when u get there and stretch from when you wake up in the morning
    How much l-glutamine per day?

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Screw glutamine. If your drinking whey protein shakes you should be taking in enough glutamine from that. My protein shakes have about 7-8 grams of glutamine each shake. So look around for proteins with good amino acid profiles and see how much glutamine each powder contains per serving.

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    Screw glutamine. If your drinking whey protein shakes you should be taking in enough glutamine from that. My protein shakes have about 7-8 grams of glutamine each shake. So look around for proteins with good amino acid profiles and see how much glutamine each powder contains per serving.
    I think me and you see eye to eye on most things

insanepump621 is offline Member
    Yes if you have a protein that already has glutamine already in it there is no point but if it doesnt i wud suggesst you buy it... i take 5 grams after workout then 5 more grams before i go to bed

if you people like to waste your money feel free.....at least buy glutamine peptides which have a somewhat better bioavailability.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    i personally feel that you cant have enough glutamine. supplementing it at about 10g a day is really good for your recovery if you are training hard..

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Almost all whey protein powders have a fair-good amount of glutamine in it. My powder has 3.8 gram of glutamine and i use 2 servings each shake. So say its a bad day for me and i only get 2 shakes in, im still getting ~100 g of protein and ~16 g of glutamine. Most days i'll have 3 shakes or so, which works out to be ~150 g of protein, ~24 g of glutamine each day. And thats just shakes, i still eat a few solid pro/carb meals on top of that. BTW, if your protein powder doesn't contain glutamine then your using a sh!tty protein powder.

dannyisaacs is offline Member
    [QUOTE=phatmark]i personally feel that you cant have enough glutamine. supplementing it at about 10g a day is really good for your recovery if you are training hard..[/QUOT
    I totally agree.

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmark
    i personally feel that you cant have enough glutamine. supplementing it at about 10g a day is really good for your recovery if you are training hard..
    Do you have any proof of this? There is none! Why would you supplement something that has been proven multiple times to have no significant effects for weight-trainers? Even intravenous glutamine had no effect!

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by insanepump621

Actually, supplementing with glutamine is not that simple. Unlike other amino acids, when glutamine is takin in in 5 grams or more at one time the kidneys activate and catch all of it, giving you nothing but very expensive pee.
    It would be better to supplement with 2.5 grams at a time, several times a day.
    And yes, most protein shakes have more than enough glutamine if your using 2 full scoops or more at a time.

BROTHERHOOD is offline Junior Member
    I know this is old but did I just read that you shouldnt take Glutamine because most of it gets lost in your stomach? And then everyone said theres a enough glutamine in your protein anyway? You do DRINK your protein shakes too you know. Its going to go through your stomach.

But I love the stuff I take 30 or more grams a day.

No one said anything about the glutamine in your shakes being too helpful. You want to keep wasting your money on it go right ahead. I was just trying to offer you advice and save money. Glutamine it up.

Thread Information