Exclamation How Inportant Is Glutamine?????

I BOUGHT SOME GLUTAMINE NEVER REALLY USED IT BEFORE BUT KNOW I JUST STARTED TO ADD IT IN MY PROTIEN SHAKES ANY INPUT?????

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    important. add it if its already not in your protien mix.

Glutamine is highly in demand throughout the body. It is used in the gut and immune system extensively to maintain optimal performance. 60% of free-form amino acids floating in skeletal muscles is L-glutamine. L-glutamine plays a very important role in protein metabolism, and it appears to be a very important nutrient for body builders. When supplemented, it may help body builders reduce the amount of muscle deterioration that occurs because other tissues that need glutamine will not rob the glutamine stored in the muscle cells.

Research shows that after intensely working out, glutamine levels in the body are reduced by as much as 50%. Since the body relies on glutamine as cellular fuel for the immune system, scientific studies have shown that glutamine supplementation can minimize the breakdown of muscle tissue and improve protein metabolism. Its effects on replenishing the body after stress or trauma have been shown in Europe where it is commonly given to patients in hospitals. Glutamine's cell-volumizing effects have also been shown in several studies. No conclusive studies have been done to evaluate the effects of L-glutamine supplementation on weight-training adults; however, a recent study showed up to a 400% increase in growth-hormone levels when as little as 2 grams of free-form L-glutamine supplement was consumed!

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Glutamine is something every athlete needs. Look around at some amino acid profiles on protein labels. Most have good amounts of glutamine. So using extra glutamine on top of protein shakes IMO is a waste. Theres a table comparing the top selling brands and their stats somewhere in this forum, should be first page somewhere.

Basically Using A 5 Gram Scoop After Your Workout Would Be The Best....cause Nomally I Use 2 Shakes Per Day....best To Put It In The Shake After My Workout Or Just In Every Shake I Take?

nsa
    Look at the amino acid profile on the label of your protein container. It will have an amino acid break dow per serving. You'll be supprised how many grams are from glutamine. And if you do 2 servings per shake like i do, your getting like 8 grams of glutamine along with all the benefits of whey.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGPAPAPUMP77
    Basically Using A 5 Gram Scoop After Your Workout Would Be The Best....cause Nomally I Use 2 Shakes Per Day....best To Put It In The Shake After My Workout Or Just In Every Shake I Take?

read your protein ingrediants. most good protein powders have glutamine in it already. if not 5g a day. i usually take mine during lunch

Thanks For The Input.......i Will Def Use The Glutamine......

crane is offline Associate Member
    i have just started using glutamine a bout a year ago and noticed the day after my workout the muscle seems to be more dense. so i think it works and never go without anymore make sure to take creatine also.

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    I still can't believe people believe L-glutamine does something. I know most of the responses dealing with the science are copy & paste snippets from body building websites run by supplement companies (like the famous, never published or peer reviewed clinical study that Xenadrine EFX uses). The fact is that glutamine supplementation has shown NO significant effects in the scientific studies with healthy adults. The only people that it has had an effect on are extremely ill. It's a complete waste of money. I'm currently using my jug of glutamine to prop up a desk lamp, where it has proven most useful. Here's a pretty good article summing up most of the research done on glutamine supplementation. I remember seeing another article that was published in December also finding no support for l-glutamine supplementation.

http://www.ironmag.com/articles/supp..._glutamine.htm

Well i know now that i will definately use for pct since it is anti-catabolic.
    and i am ill'n like a villan

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k

Research shows that after intensely working out, glutamine levels in the body are reduced by as much as 50%. Since the body relies on glutamine as cellular fuel for the immune system, scientific studies have shown that glutamine supplementation can minimize the breakdown of muscle tissue and improve protein metabolism. Its effects on replenishing the body after stress or trauma have been shown in Europe where it is commonly given to patients in hospitals. Glutamine's cell-volumizing effects have also been shown in several studies. No conclusive studies have been done to evaluate the effects of L-glutamine supplementation on weight-training adults; however, a recent study showed up to a 400% increase in growth-hormone levels when as little as 2 grams of free-form L-glutamine supplement was consumed!
    I knew I saw this paragraph somewhere before. Read this thread.

http://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/a...hp/t-8171.html

why? WHY!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

NOW YOU MEAN TO TELL ME I WASTED 40 DOLLARS ON THIS SH*T.
    THIS INFO WOULD'VE BEEN USEFULL YESTURDAY

nsa
    Read my post earlier in this thread. You don't need to supplement with glutamine if your using whey protein. Whey proteins main amino is glutamine...

Thread Information