Klossus is offline Associate Member

Question Various proteins

I use whey for pre and post workouts and micellean for bedtime. I was on allthewhey.com and I have no clue what these are:

20/30™ Blend
    Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate
    Whey Protein Blends
    Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate

What are the differences between these proteins?
    What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using one over the other?
    Is there any one that is “best”?
    And for my final question (a joke of sorts):
    Can whey protein be used to give children nutritious snacks to support their active schedule, but not to contribute to excess weight gain? (stright from their website)
    Last edited by Klossus; 03-02-2005 at 09:59 PM.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Quote Originally Posted by Klossus
    I use whey for pre and post workouts and micellean for bedtime. I was on allthewhey.com and I have no clue what these are:

20/30™ Blend
    Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate
    Whey Protein Blends
    Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate

What are the differences between these proteins?
    What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using one over the other?
    Is there any one that is “best”?
    And for my final question (a joke of sorts):
    Can whey protein be used to give children nutritious snacks to support their active schedule, but not to contribute to excess weight gain? (stright from their website)
    20/30 blend and whey protein blends are pretty much the same thing. Whey isolate is the best whey protein you are going to find, depending on what filtration process your gonna use. Concentrate is not the best IMO but it is decent if its all you can afford. Trueprotein.com has a protein customizer, so you can create the perfect protein for your needs. I have made some nice custom protein mixes there. Yes, protein powder can be used to help kids, but kids also need fats and carbohydrates to grow normally. Fats are important in neural function and neural growth in children and infants.

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    Whey concentrate does have some advantages over isolate in that it has some growth fractions that isolate does not. But, isolate has less fat and no lactose, which is a must for some. It all depends on the individual. I think isolate is best used around workout, and concentrate at other times of the day, if you can handle small amounts of lactose.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    dont they have differetn rates of absorbtion?

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    The difference between concentrate and isolate is in how it is filtered. Whey concentrate is filtered a couple of times to remove as much lactose and fat as possible through filtration, then it is kiln dried to a powder form. The pros: it is cheaper, it takes longer to digest so it stays in your system longer. The cons: as it is kiln dried ,the protein can become "burned" and there is a school of thought that it loses some of its bio-availablility. Whey Isolate is filtered the same as concentrate and then it is run through a ionization filter that uses a technical process (I cannot remember the name) to pull the fat and lactose molecules out of the mix leaving only pure protein isolate powder behind. Pros: it absorbs faster and some argue, more completely, it mixes better without clumping.

I use concentrate due to cost, but I have heard several arguements that the slower digestion of concentrate may actually have benefits. If I could, I would use a concentrate for most of my shakes in a day and save the isolate for post-workout shake due to the faster absorbtion.

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    The difference between concentrate and isolate is in how it is filtered. Whey concentrate is filtered a couple of times to remove as much lactose and fat as possible through filtration, then it is kiln dried to a powder form. The pros: it is cheaper, it takes longer to digest so it stays in your system longer. The cons: as it is kiln dried ,the protein can become "burned" and there is a school of thought that it loses some of its bio-availablility. Whey Isolate is filtered the same as concentrate and then it is run through a ionization filter that uses a technical process (I cannot remember the name) to pull the fat and lactose molecules out of the mix leaving only pure protein isolate powder behind. Pros: it absorbs faster and some argue, more completely, it mixes better without clumping.

I use concentrate due to cost, but I have heard several arguements that the slower digestion of concentrate may actually have benefits. If I could, I would use a concentrate for most of my shakes in a day and save the isolate for post-workout shake due to the faster absorbtion.
    The "burn" you refer to is known as denaturing protein, and it does in fact lower the bio-availability. Also not all WPI's are dried by heat, some companies don't do it this way to avoid denaturing the proteins.

playa4933 is offline Associate Member
    little off topic but what do yall think about mixed proteins. Like those ones you see with whey, egg, casein, ect. Worth it?

Denatured doesnt necassarily mean lower bioavailability. Cooking eggs by definition denatures them, as does chicken turning from pink to white.

nsa
    I didn't mean that denaturing is always going to decrease bio-availability. Some companies also denature proteins on purpose, with enzymes. They do this to yeild a bunch of amino acids instead of those amino acids strung together, which in turn increases bio-availability.

I wasnt really arguing, just thinking out loud, and clarifying.

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum
    I wasnt really arguing, just thinking out loud, and clarifying.
    I know you weren't arguing. Im actually glad someone pointed it out, i didn't notice how unclear it was when i wrote it.

Klossus is offline Associate Member
    NSA and others,
    what are some of the protein combos you come up w/ ? and for what specific purpose? all around, pre, post, bed....
    thanks for all the replys

pre Wo-Whey protein isolate/malodextrin--20g WPI/40g Malo
    during WO-Whey protein isolate/malodextrin/dextrose--20g WPI/20g Malo/20g Dex
    PWO-Whey protein isolate/dextrose--20g WPI/40g dex
    Pre Bed-Micellar Casein
    Other times during the day-Whey protein concentrate

Thread Information