co2boi is offline Anabolic Member

Creatine and heart problems

Has anyone heard / read anything claiming a link between creatine and heart attacks, palpitations, shortness of breath, etc? I was told this by a friend and did some searching, the claims are definitely there, but I'm not sure about their accuracy.

Seems to me that people always find something to blame problems on. "Like...43% of teenagers in automobile accidents tested positive for marijuana" Well, yeah but that doesn't mean they were high at the time of the wreck. Fuking propoganda.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    Has anyone heard / read anything claiming a link between creatine and heart attacks, palpitations, shortness of breath, etc? I was told this by a friend and did some searching, the claims are definitely there, but I'm not sure about their accuracy.

Seems to me that people always find something to blame problems on. "Like...43% of teenagers in automobile accidents tested positive for marijuana" Well, yeah but that doesn't mean they were high at the time of the wreck. Fuking propoganda.

i know that creatine makes you retain water so there maybe a correlation between that and blood pressure but other than that its new to me.. very intersting though

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Now I think I see. When people have heart attacks, they do enzyme tests, one of the substances they test for is CPK (creatine phosphokinase).

From WebMd
    CPK - levels generally rise within 4 to 8 hours after a heart attack, peak within 12 to 24 hours, then return to normal within 3 to 4 days.

CPK-MB - CPK-MB is found in large amounts in the heart muscle. Blood levels CPK-MB typically rise within 2 to 6 hours after a heart attack, reach peak concentrations within 12 to 24 hours, and fall to normal levels within 3 days. A CPK-MB greater than 6% of total CPK suggests a heart attack.

So yeah, they would have higher levels of creatine in their system. Given this information, there may be some link between additional creatine supplementation and heart issues, but I would venture to say that it's adding to an existing issue, not creating a new one.

http://my.webmd.com/hw/heart_disease/hw224485.asp

pg600rr is offline Junior Member
    when you retain massive amounts of water your BP rises

Thread Information