• good thing to have

14 66.67%
  • waste of money

7 33.33%
    briansauras is offline Senior Member

POLL: How many of you think

Glutamine is a waste of money vs Is something that should be on your shelf

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    It probably depends on what your goals are. Glutamine is essential for maintaining muscle while cutting, so I would deff. have some if that was the goal. As for bulking, I'm not to sure, but you may not need it. so Imma go with something needed on the shelf

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    If you say glutamine is a waste of money then you have no idea what you are talking about.

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    people who espouse glutamine have no idea what they are talking about. Find one study showing any significant effect from it for adults in training. THere are well over 20 indicating none. Layne Norton wrote in an article on bodybuilding.com that "glutamine levels can be depleted by up to 27% during a workout. Since low glutamine levels are associated with muscle breakdown it would make sense to take it." Someone asked him about it, and he said in a message board a few months ago...
    "I wrote that article 3 years ago when i was young and stupid,
    glutamine is one of the biggest scams of the industry"

I would reccomend any of the xxxx-tech products over glutamine. They may be overpriced, but they at least do something.

I've been reading another board, and someone posted this and it was nominated be the official glutamine sticky. I agree.
    "glutamine totally ****ing ripped me up bro. i take it in da mornin's, pre and post pump, and b4 bed. it helps prevent da muscles from losing and catabolisms [I]ESPECIALLYS[I] when you are bulkin in da caloric surplus. some of tha haters on here wanna say it don't work cos of some studies and science and stuff. but don't listen to it cos all da pros take it and it gets you hyoooge and ripped and gives u a hyooge cock."

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Eh, 20 bucks for 1000 grams...cheap enough for me to use it as there is a compelling argument for both sides....

there is an argument for both sides, but proof is only with one one of them.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?

Thumbs up why not?

Works For Me, And Hell It's Cheap So Try Loading With It And You'll Want To Change Your Vote...

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    Works For Me, And Hell It's Cheap So Try Loading With It And You'll Want To Change Your Vote...
    loading with it? GLutamine?

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    glutamine is a conditionally essential amino acid that accounts for 60% of the free amino acids in muscle...i'm gonna keep taking it...

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Most people don't need to supplement with it due to the amount in most whey powders.... myself included.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Most people don't need to supplement with it due to the amount in most whey powders.... myself included.
    good point. i believe Optimum Nutrition's whey has almost 4g per serving. something like that anyway...

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    This is taken from a post by peedno...he's a well respected guy on the boards..one of the smartest out there...

"I do not take Glutamine for a few reasons.

1. Most of the proteins already have glutamine added.

2. The only benefit I can see from additional supplementation is for prevention of a catabolic state when on an empty stomach and nutrients are not fueling you with energy; such as when a person runs in the morning on an empty stomach, or in the middle of the night when dieting and food consumption could hinder your prgress.
    If your consuming Protein from the time you wake untill the time you sleep, I see no need."

and here is a site i found
    http://www.discussfitness.com/showth...&threadid=3804
    Last edited by wolfyEVH; 04-11-2005 at 07:58 PM.

I did look up the loading idea. But it still doesn't add up to anything. One article had a group take about 45 grams of glutamine per day and another take a placebo. Still no significant differences between the two. That's a lot of glutamine!

Darren G. Candow, Philip D. Chilibeck, Darren G. Burke, Shawn K. Davison, Truis Smith-Palmer, Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults, European Journal of Applied Physiology, Volume 86, Issue 2, Dec 2001, Pages 142 - 149.

"We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults."

Thread Information